TCS HUD lock indication when TCS slaved

QuiGon

Me and my pilot just did some deep testing with the TCS. During this testing we noticed that when a radar seeking missile is selected, a pure TCS lock (meaning no radar lock) will only be shown on the HUD if the TCS slave switch is either in independent or radar position, but not if it is in TCS position. The manual doesn't mention anything about such a difference, so I wonder if this might be a bug?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

In the TCS position, the TCS is slaved to radar, and from what I can see in the NATOPS, that means it cannot track with the TCS. The HUD will only show the TCS line-of-sight when TCS is either tracking, or under HCU control (i.e. when RIO has TV mode on the HCU selected, and moving HCU with half trigger).

I'll look a bit further, but right now it doesn't seem like a bug to me.

Heatblur Simulations

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In the TCS position, the TCS is slaved to radar, and from what I can see in the NATOPS, that means it cannot track with the TCS. The HUD will only show the TCS line-of-sight when TCS is either tracking, or under HCU control (i.e. when RIO has TV mode on the HCU selected, and moving HCU with half trigger).

I'll look a bit further, but right now it doesn't seem like a bug to me.

The thing is, when having the switch in TCS position and a radar target locked by radar and then loosing the radar lock, the TCS will still remain locked on the target, but the pilot won't see any TCS lock indication on his HUD (missing '+'-symbol). In that situation the TCS is definitely not slaved to the radar (despite the switch being in TCS slaved position), because the TCS is locked on the target, while the radar has no lock anymore and has reverted to search mode. Personally, I would expect to see a TCS symbol in the HUD in that situation, but I don't know if that is how it worked IRL.

In order to provide my pilot with TCS indication on the HUD after loosing the radar lock, I need to flip the switch to either INDEPENDENT or RADAR SLAVE. Only then he will get a TCS indication on the HUD for a target that the TCS is still locked on after the radar has lost it.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yeah, I agree... the slave switch position should have no bearing on the presence/absence of the LOS indicator. If the TCS has a contrast lock, or if the HCU is driving it, the LOS indication (pipper if in SP/PH/OFF, diamond if in SW and TCS has contrast lock and no STT) should be on the hud.

Former USN Avionics Tech

VF-41 86-90, 93-95

VF-101 90-93

Heatblur Tomcat SME

I9-9900K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe | RTX 2070 Super | TM Throttle | VPC Warbird Base TM F-18 Stick

Yeah, I agree... the slave switch position should have no bearing on the presence/absence of the LOS indicator. If the TCS has a contrast lock, or if the HCU is driving it, the LOS indication (pipper if in SP/PH/OFF, diamond if in SW and TCS has contrast lock and no STT) should be on the hud.

+1 here.

Even more so, as the VDI keeps showing TCS track on target, either in Radar / Indep / TCS slave modes.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

• 2 weeks later...

To bring this up again...

Are we sure the new behaviour in latest patch is correct?

The change was:

Fix for TCS line-of-sight not displayed on HUD in TCS slave mode (TCS slaved to radar) when it is tracking

And while this seems correct for a TCS in tracking state. The + symbol TCS LOS is still shown when the TCS mode is in Manual. Ie The TCS is merely slaved to radar LOS but not tracking itself. Is this correct, since before the patch I wouldn't get a TCS + symbol in this case.

If the TCS + symbol is only shown when actual contrast lock occurs I wouldn't expect a TCS los symbol in Man mode......

To bring this up again...

Are we sure the new behaviour in latest patch is correct?

The change was:

Fix for TCS line-of-sight not displayed on HUD in TCS slave mode (TCS slaved to radar) when it is tracking

And while this seems correct for a TCS in tracking state. The + symbol TCS LOS is still shown when the TCS mode is in Manual. Ie The TCS is merely slaved to radar LOS but not tracking itself. Is this correct, since before the patch I wouldn't get a TCS + symbol in this case.

If the TCS + symbol is only shown when actual contrast lock occurs I wouldn't expect a TCS los symbol in Man mode......

On the HUD it should show in OFF/SP or PH when tracking something or when being driven by the HCU in manual mode. When you let go of the HCU TCS should cage back to boresight mode and the symbol should disappear again.

Do you see it if you let go of the HCU?

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/