HOTAS Warthog Defaults to Slight Left Roll

Igor4U

My 5+ Year Old HOTAS Warthog Stick gave up the Ghost - it developed Full Hard Over Runaway Trim in the Pitch Axis.

I use the Top Hat Switch for Pitch & Roll Trim - And because I'm always trimming like a Maniac - Wore it Out - I had to replace that at the 3 Year Old Point. The replaced Trim Switch still Worked (each Click Trimmed in the proper Direction) - but the Stick Malfunctioned - outputting a constant Runaway Pitch Trim signal that would run the Trim to the Down Limit and be Un-Flyable.

Fast Forward - New HOTAS Warthog Stick. But unlike my Original which worked Great right out of the Box - This One was all Bent out of Shape (or I should say - Calibration).

A Little Research on the eagle.ru Forum quickly identified a Solution - The HOTAS Warthog Calibration Tool (Ver 1.13 most Current - I think). That seemed to straighten things out until I did more Testing. Discovered that every single Aircraft Module (have 11 Modules) I have (from Wings Level Unaccelerate Flight) starts a Slow Roll to the Left.

Looking at the Roll Axis (in Use) confirmed that (even after running calibration tool) the Roll Axis defaulted to the very Slightest of Left Roll Input.

What's Strange - is that Initially (when first opening an aircraft without moving the Stick) checking the Roll Axis - it is Centered. But after flying a little (moving the stick), when I release it and Let the Stick Center - It doesn't quite come back to Center. That's when I see the Roll Axis giving a slight Left Roll Input. Even though the Stick Mechanically seems to Center Properly - the Roll Axis doesn't return to Center.

Piss Me Off !

So my Temporary Solution (for most of my Aircraft) is to just use a couple Clicks of Right Roll Trim - Easy Enough. BUT - Two of my Birds (MiG-21 and Yak-52) have No Roll Trim. So for them - setting a Small Null (Dead) Zone on Roll Axis at least stops them from uncommanded Rolling Left - at the expense of a little Roll responsiveness.

It be Nice if DCS had a Flight Control Setup Option to just Tell the Software - the Stick is (Physically) Centered Now. What you see is Center - Treat it as Such - Make it So !

So looking for any other Solutions out there to Fine Tune my Warthog back to True Neutral when Centered. TANKS ! :pilotfly:

486256260_RollAxisisCenteredtoStartWith.thumb.jpg.9ac1f2ac354dd74e6c5ef8af184f77de.jpg

733973697_RollAxis-DefaultstoSlightLeftInput.thumb.jpg.de18730de853fdafccf73c486081b6d7.jpg

2042666873_RollAxis-ASmallDeadZoneNullsOutLeftRollTendancy.thumb.jpg.6182d3bcc8e28744596b45d11a8e3d94.jpg

1489501377_HOTASWarthogCalibrationTool-Check.jpg.9fdb863f6785f413d3542515c5fb80ac.jpg

Here all this time I thought it was just me because I have been watching videos from DCS and nobody else seems to have this issue. I notice my rudders which are also from thrustmaster are super sensitive. I have been trying to tune them down a bit as they are so touchy when landing or taking off.

Here all this time I thought it was just me because I have been watching videos from DCS and nobody else seems to have this issue. I notice my rudders which are also from thrustmaster are super sensitive. I have been trying to tune them down a bit as they are so touchy when landing or taking off.

I have just started to have this problem in the Hornet Free-flight Nevada.

I've recalibrated, checked dampers, checked rudders, added more deadzone and it still starts in the air with a slight roll to the left that will only correct with trim.

Mine to I tried a free flight in nttr last night and it was uncontrollable as the more trim I set the worst the plane handled. I started with a curve of 25 on both the x and y axis it was like my saitek almost if I used a axis on my throttle it through the stick off

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

OK,

Mine has gone.

Before, I had the drift left and checked my physical systems. All were dead centered on calibration software. I use an F-18 stick on a VKB Gunfighter II base.

I then went into F2 view and saw that both rudders were slightly left when viewing from 6 o'clock.

I removed my rudders and uninstalled all software links and used the keyboard commands. The drift was still there and still visual on the rudders.

I removed the stick and unscrewed the dampers until the screws felt loose - then retightened until I could feel a slight resistance and then backed off one quarter turn. I have no dampening now. To my knowledge I never did. I don't know if dampening would show on the center settings or would show a slight offset.

I then went into the F-18 commands setup and increased the deadzone of x and y axis from 5 to 8 and gave the rudders a 10 deadzone.

Restarted and it flew straight and the rudder visual was gone.

I don't know which did the trick but I can tell you it is now flying like it used to.

I deleted my bug report.

that is why when troubleshooting you do one fix at a time then test then rinse and repeat if necessary

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.