DCS on Linux??

DmitriKozlowsky

I would love to have my DCS on linux.

But unfortunately, i believe SharpeXB is right!

The game market is not on linux.

You are right Fri13 about servers etc, but for game what is really the weight of Linux?!?!!

Honestly i do not believe it might happen.

Hope i am wrong.

I would love to have my DCS on linux.

But unfortunately, i believe SharpeXB is right!

The game market is not on linux.

You are right Fri13 about servers etc, but for game what is really the weight of Linux?!?!!

Honestly i do not believe it might happen.

Hope i am wrong.

Well, the "weight of Linux" is really debatable thing, becuase of hte gaming situation and support form the developers is what it is, every gamer with Linux pc have naother machine with Windows, or at last dual booting... And lots of them, if not all despreadly want to ditch the Windows once for all, but cannot becuase of... And you cannot tell how many of them there is, because of how the things are set up... So it is like a circle...

• 2 weeks later...

Well. Performance will tell you the truth.

If windows had a joice it would run best on a 50ghz dual core.

As it stands today cores are counting up to more than two.

The line between servers and pcs are getting thinner.

There is a reason why amd has a tool to artificially redure the prozessor cores that windows can see.

I did quiet some testing and got a few games in my library running with more frames on linux than windows. Even with the help of wine this tendency is seeable. As for me i am one of this guys running high end hardware. And i have absolutely no interest in sacrificing one generation of hardware -or more in some cases- to the operating system - finally this shiny chips cost money. And today we are all on budget.

So the end of the story is in my eyes - windows is simple a console for casuals. If you really want to enjoy the power of what hardware can do there is not really a way around linux. There is a reason why it is no.1 OS. Servers and Supercomputers do not have power to give away. So do not i.

every gamer with Linux pc have naother machine with Windows, or at last dual booting... And lots of them, if not all despreadly want to ditch the Windows once for all, but cannot becuase of...

That describes me and virtually all my colleagues perfectly. We all have dual boots, and all of us use the Windows boot for only one thing: gaming. I do everything else in Linux. I use and write mostly computationally expensive code, from aerospace simulations to aerodynamic modelling code, system identification and state estimation routines (used in creating flight dynamics models from flight test data), etc. At some point or another, we have compiled most of our code on Windows also, but all our development is done on Linux. I have never, ever seen a piece of code that pushes the CPU performance (or GPU for some mathematical solvers), that ran at the same speed or faster on Windows than on Linux. In most cases, the performance is significantly better in Linux. And if you are doing a major multi-disciplinary optimisation problem that is going to run for a week on Linux and two weeks on Windows, the choice is rather obvious.

I would love to get rid of Windows (and the last few weeks, when it was trying to push the Edge browser on me again, I almost did that), but unfortunately I still fly a bit of DCS and play a few other games and therefore just cannot do so just yet. I can't wait for that day, however...