DCS on Linux??

DmitriKozlowsky

No. It would be a wasted effort. Less than 1% of this demographic uses Linux.

There are much more important things for ED to focus on.

3B902E5B-3440-40DB-AF95-9EADC9733DD4.thumb.png.43593161df87c31cbc76115f01b8bbd7.png

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Oh, I thought OP meant he was going to get DCS working on linux using WINE or something. I was just in for the LULZ in that case. I in no way support ED wasting time porting it.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Sadly, I agree with responders. I thought I'd ask. No harm in that. DCS is getting pretty large as far as data sets. Though my so-called career is in 3D CGI (for non-real time), I do not consider myself expert on pro and cons of DX12 or OpenGL, except that OGL is designed for large datasets and large tex maps.

I would definitely be against WINE port, I see how AdobeCS runs on WINE.

But something else is happening in software licencing. Running straight in WebGL. Example is SculptGL, an open source 3D sculpting, that runs inside Chrome or WebGL compatible browser. There is no need to install it. Works same on Win10, MacOS, and Linux distos. Perhaps that is the future of all applications. Everything is in the cloud. But that would require 5G broadband or faster.

Actually I would like to see them move the dedicated server to Linux for hosting.. I would also be a big fan if they could start moving the dedicated server to containers on Kubernetes so we can distribute the load /scale to get more folks into one world.

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

If my games would run under Linux i wouldn't use Windows anymore. But they don't, so i'm forced to use Windows....

I would like them to port DCS to Linux.

• Like 1

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

I agree with the sentiment - and I am a dedicated Ubuntu user for everything that's work/business related, as for those use-cases I don't trust Windows at all. Using Ubuntu for important stuff made everything safer on my end, and I only use Windows for gaming. Windows is a gaming OS, and so it shall remain.

However, I have long gotten off the soap-box that Linux can (and should) replace Windows, esp for gaming. It simply cannot, and doesn't want to, either.

However, in DCS' case, I can see a dedicated Linux server for MP only, that's command-line driven and thus has much less overhead than a similar server on Windows.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

1) The #1 operating system in the world is the Linux. There is nothing coming close to its market share.

2) The #1 server operating system in the world for the servers is the Linux. Nothing comes close to its market share.

3) The amount of gamers that use Linux on desktop is low, it is such that it is not so much worth to invest if you have already a huge user base, but if your code base is well done for porting and you do not mind to get tens of thousands of new customers, it can be worth a lot.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

1) The #1 operating system in the world is the Linux. There is nothing coming close to its market share.

How does that look leaving out Android? :D The goal here should only be looking at Linux on the PC Desktop.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

2) The #1 server operating system in the world for the servers is the Linux. Nothing comes close to its market share.

3) The amount of gamers that use Linux on desktop is low, it is such that it is not so much worth to invest if you have already a huge user base, but if your code base is well done for porting and you do not mind to get tens of thousands of new customers, it can be worth a lot.

All of that is irrelevant. You can plainly see by the Steam Survey of gamers that Linux is used by less than 1% of this target market. It doesn’t matter what servers run on or whatever. You wouldn’t get “tens of thousands” of new customers with a Linux port. You’d get an increase of exactly .89% if even that. I doubt that share of the market is financially worth pursuing.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

All of that is irrelevant. You can plainly see by the Steam Survey of gamers that Linux is used by less than 1% of this target market

Irrelevant, when you forget my #3 point....

How does that look leaving out Android? :D The goal here should only be looking at Linux on the PC Desktop.

No, he made clear false claim that Linux is 1% market share on operating systems, while it couldn't be further from the truth. He didn't define that he meant only GAMERS ON DESKTOP combined. As this "demographic" includes everyone using Linux anyways.

But look my point #3.

Actually I would like to see them move the dedicated server to Linux for hosting.. I would also be a big fan if they could start moving the dedicated server to containers on Kubernetes so we can distribute the load /scale to get more folks into one world.

This. Too much of the gameplay ecosystem is windows centric. I could rant all day on how Linux is turning into windows (registry databases, polkit, sysctl, netctl, ad-nauseum) but the server versions are svelte and ready to serve...

Irrelevant, when you forget my #3 point....

Your 3rd point is just speculation. Neither you or I know how much work it would take to create a DCS port to Linux. What’s easy to figure out is that this port would get an extra .89% of the market at most. Whether or not that’s worthwhile none of us know.

No, he made clear false claim that Linux is 1% market share on operating systems, while it couldn't be further from the truth. He didn't define that he meant only GAMERS ON DESKTOP combined. As this "demographic" includes everyone using Linux anyways.

But look my point #3.

GAMERS ON DESKTOPS is who buys DCS :doh:

And the statistics I posted are not a false claim. That’s from the Steam Hardware & Software Survey. The largest most relevant stats of what’s actually used by gamers.

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

The demographic who are potential customers for DCS

Edited by SharpeXB

At the end of the day, for all practical purposes no one uses lunix for gaming. Casual gamers are a low investment sort of people and not all that technical. For 99% of people the computer can browse the net, use MS word, use whatever specialty program they have AND hey it can run games. IMO if you want to kill DCS you move it to lunix (server aside), you will loose 90% of the current user base, and kill any future customers who will not run a "new OS" just for gaming. In terms of performance, you maybe get some minor improvement as a result.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

1. Nobody is talking about DCS exclusive on Linux :megalol:

2. Nobody is talking about DCS on Linux tomorrow, there are more important things to do right now.

3. This is the DCS WISHLIST section of the forum. Everybody can express their wishes here.

So why are you "screeming NO, NO...", they should do .... first, it's not worth it.... blah blah blah. It's a wish! ED can consider it themselves!

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Whether a desktop version is worth it is debatable, but at least a headless server... no sound or graphics subsystems to worry about at that point.

There is a version of Wine which will run DCS. I'm not sure if it performs any better or worse than using qemu and a W10 VM with passthrough, which is only about 5% loss.

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

Whether a desktop version is worth it is debatable, but at least a headless server... no sound or graphics subsystems to worry about at that point.

Why a server? Again the people who buy this game don’t use Linux.

Why a server? Again the people who buy this game don’t use Linux.

Dude... People ho buy this game fly on servers.

A DCS server version compatibile with Linux would be great because, for exemple, It would cost a lot less to rent a server because you won't need ti pay for Windows server licence...

--

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

36° Stormo Virtuale - Italian Virtual Flight Community

www.36stormovirtuale.net

Dude... People ho buy this game fly on servers.

A DCS server version compatibile with Linux would be great because, for exemple, It would cost a lot less to rent a server because you won't need ti pay for Windows server licence...

And how many servers are there running this game? Maybe 20? You want ED to port the game engine over so 20 or 30 people might actually run it? Doesn’t seem like a good use of their resources.

And how many servers are there running this game? Maybe 20? You want ED to port the game engine over so 20 or 30 people might actually run it? Doesn’t seem like a good use of their resources.

Dude, are you serious?

Every squadron need a server unless they want to play only 5 player missions...

There are a lot of servers ,in our fighter wing we have 2 phisical servers and 5 DCS server istances running.

It cost more than 60 euros per month to rent a server with windows licence and HW req. for DCS... Imagine how many more server will be with a DCS server on linux...

Just like you I don't know how hard can it be to make a porting but it will be a good thing.

--

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

36° Stormo Virtuale - Italian Virtual Flight Community

www.36stormovirtuale.net

Dude, are you serious?

Every squadron need a server unless they want to play only 5 player missions...

There are a lot of servers ,in our fighter wing we have 2 phisical servers and 5 DCS server istances running.

It cost more than 60 euros per month to rent a server with windows licence and HW req. for DCS... Imagine how many more server will be with a DCS server on linux...

Just like you I don't know how hard can it be to make a porting but it will be a good thing.

I can’t imagine that being feasible. How many other Windows games have a separate Linux install just to run servers with?

Edited by SharpeXB

I can’t imagine that being feasible. How many other Windows games have a separate Linux install just to run servers with?

Many, and it's not hard to investigate - as an example Assetto Corsa, which also doesn't have a linux client. The hard part is usually dealing with graphics & audio, dedicated servers are generally much simpler.

20 servers? have you even looked at the browse list? and that's just the public ones.

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction