Optimization issue

Cotoi

When 2.5.0 was first released, I was getting 120-130 fps these days, I am getting 40 fps, and all that without AI improvements, no new mechanics like heat dissipation, fluid mechanics

Was just in testing when I did the test, so again there was none of that, no new cockpit to blame it on the polygons and so on. I got quite a few modules, including ones that I know I will never use just to support this niche game, but I need to take a step back and look at what I am getting for my work. Sure I got a few modules, most of them unfinished even after years, and a platform with little noticeable improvements and huge performance drop. Furthermore far from making the world more realistic, rocket ballistics are subjected to balance not realism test.

Wagner once said that you look at the list of problems and address those with most impact, and it does make a lot of sense, but Loosing 2/3 of fps does have a huge impact. On top of that we never get any help from the dev team, like "Look we just released this very smart AI, with very realistic detection condition, with realistic heat dissipation and so on, but it will take a masive performance hit. When upgrading aim for X cores because the most cores the game will use is Y hyper threading do/do not matter, single core performance do/do not matter... etc". Do you really expect use to get the latest hardware each year for no solid reason and no real data about how the platform performs on different hardware?

I am realistic and I know how critics is handled here, but at the end of the day this is math, and as a long term customer I did let you know that your product is unplayable. In order to continue the business relations stuff needs to happen.

p.s. Just to be very clear, when I say huge performance, I DO mean 1 single plane on the map flying around. so arguments like "each unit is slightly more complex and it does add up" no it does not.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 5820K, 32GB DDR4, 3x250GB SSD RAID0, nVidia GTX 1080, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, Virpil WarBird base with Thrustmaster Warthog grip, MFG Crosswind rudder pedals - 2484.

You never mentioned what your settings are. If you need help with optimization that’s kinda important. You have a lower end hardware according to your signature so you won’t be able to run ultra settings but you should be able to get very nice looking game at 60 FPS if you tweak your settings. Are you running a newer monitor? If you are then you might have Vsync enabled which will lock your frame rate at whatever your hardware can consistently push. If it’s older and only a 60hz monitor then anything over 60fps is useless as your monitor can only display 60fps. You have a graphics card that is old and only made for 60fps at 1080p resolution. I’m guessing that your processor is the bottleneck though as it only has a base clock of 3.3ghz with over clock up to 3.6ghz. That’s painfully slow by today’s standards. You can’t expect to get more out your hardware than it was designed for.

I’m running a 2560x1440p monitor that is 144hz. DCS looks fantastic at 60fps on it. FPS is not the whole story, and really it’s not the most important metric. But, since it’s easy to measure that’s what everyone does.

There is no question that DCS needs better performance optimization. At 1440p, I see FPS drop into the 50's at times...and this is with several graphics settings lowered. My system is listed in my signature below...it is at the higher end.

Single player empty map, F-14 sitting on the runway at Nellis looking straight ahead, FPS 90

Same exact as above but now with 10 static aircraft sitting on the ramp at random places, FPS 55

Flying over Las Vegas or cities on the Persian Gulf map, FPS will drop into the 50's...this is on an empty map!

Any of the carrier missions...FPS will be in the 50's while on the deck. This is in both the Tomcat and Hornet.

I have found that I have to lower graphics settings significantly and settle for a poor looking game or just deal with not being able to maintain a minimum of 60 FPS. For a higher end system, while not even running a mission or multiplayer...that is just poor optimization.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

There is no question that DCS needs better performance optimization. At 1440p, I see FPS drop into the 50's at times...and this is with several graphics settings lowered. My system is listed in my signature below...it is at the higher end.

Single player empty map, F-14 sitting on the runway at Nellis looking straight ahead, FPS 90

Same exact as above but now with 10 static aircraft sitting on the ramp at random places, FPS 55

Flying over Las Vegas or cities on the Persian Gulf map, FPS will drop into the 50's...this is on an empty map!

Any of the carrier missions...FPS will be in the 50's while on the deck. This is in both the Tomcat and Hornet.

I have found that I have to lower graphics settings significantly and settle for a poor looking game or just deal with not being able to maintain a minimum of 60 FPS. For a higher end system, while not even running a mission or multiplayer...that is just poor optimization.

The 1080ti is made for driving 1080 monitors. It will underperform on higher resolution. Again. Asking hardware to do something it wasn’t designed for

Cotoi, you biggest issue is that CPU. I run the same one as a server and it was great and still is for multicore hard work that does NOT need a lot of MHz. Since you will likely be below 4GHz peak MHz you miss a whole 1GHz that other cheaper CPU's can push, or with new AMD chips who have a higher IPC you could get away better.

My system struggles with CPU and GPU at High/Ultra settings as well. I have to lower this or that to somehow have 60fps and good quality but I cannot have 90fps and all quality turned at max.

Again, imho, your CPU is the wrong one for DCS or any other demanding sim that presses on 1 core mostly. The 1080 is imho not foremost the biggest show stopper. I dare to say it could deliver more if the CPU was faster, depending on your resolution and LOD of course.

* Have you tried to clean install DCS. 130fps down to 40ish seems a bit much imho. Maybe you leave a lot on the table due to a bad install / drivers / etc..

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

TIP from senior for FPS issues

I updated the new OB update yesterday. I've got half the FPS then normal. And..... everything is back where it was. :D

First time to load is new compiling so long load times. After that everthing is normal.

Delete User Shaders:

X:\Users\[You]\Saved Games\[DCS User Directory]\fxo\ - DELETE ALL FILES

X:\Users\[You]\Saved Games\[DCS User Directory]\metashaders2\ - DELETE ALL FILES

Delete Terrain Shaders:

X:\...(usually under Program Files)\[DCS Install Directory]\Mods\terrains\[Terrain]\misc\metacache\ - If it's there, DELETE THE "\DCS" folder entirely

Repeat for all terrains you own

Edited by boedha68

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

I updated the new OB update yesterday. I've got half the FPS then normal. And..... everything is back where it was. :D

First time to load is new compiling so long load times. After that everthing is normal.

Delete User Shaders:

X:\Users\[You]\Saved Games\[DCS User Directory]\metashaders2\ - DELETE ALL FILES

Delete Terrain Shaders:

X:\...(usually under Program Files)\[DCS Install Directory]\Mods\terrains\[Terrain]\misc\metacache\ - If it's there, DELETE THE "\DCS" folder entirely

Good call. I regularly delete shaded files. I always forget to do terrain shaders.

Delete User Shaders:

Delete Terrain Shaders:

Terrain shaders? Really?

I have always deleted the fxo and metashader folders, never even knew about the terrain shaders. I will have to try that and see if it does anything.

I still don't know why we have to do all this though...but every little boost in performance and FPS helps, so I keep doing it.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

I still don't know why we have to do all this though...but every little boost in performance and FPS helps, so I keep doing it.

It's called modern gaming (where are the good old C-64 days?), you tweak and hassle and chase that FPS number 95% of your "play" time, the 5% left is for real playing...:smartass:

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!