X-56 throttle is stiff

Mouse_99

I got a new X-56 and I like it, it's real smooth but one thing. The throttle levers are a bit stiff, I spun the knob all the way and it doesn't seem to make a difference, any suggestion? I have a hard time controlling speed in a dog fight. It's smooth but stiff, maybe I should take it apart and clean off the grease or something, anyone do that?

• 6 months later...
I got a new X-56 and I like it, it's real smooth but one thing. The throttle levers are a bit stiff, I spun the knob all the way and it doesn't seem to make a difference, any suggestion? I have a hard time controlling speed in a dog fight. It's smooth but stiff, maybe I should take it apart and clean off the grease or something, anyone do that?

It definitely loosens giving very smooth action...prior to use initially give the throttles several full range movements.

Since opening mine up to repair it and getting rid of some of the grease, I've found it to be much better. I didn't get rid of all of it, just some of the excess.

That's what I did.

I can't even imagine trying to get all the grease off. I think it's the most viscous substance in the known universe. Wanna slow down the passage of time? Introduce it to that grease.

I tried alcohol, and that didn't touch it. I did find that Dawn dishwashing liquid worked so-so. I wan't going going to try anything else (acetone, mineral spirits, MEK, etc.) for fear of damaging the plastic.

Lots of paper towels ended up being the only way I could get it.

That's what I did.

I can't even imagine trying to get all the grease off. I think it's the most viscous substance in the known universe. Wanna slow down the passage of time? Introduce it to that grease.

I tried alcohol, and that didn't touch it. I did find that Dawn dishwashing liquid worked so-so. I wan't going going to try anything else (acetone, mineral spirits, MEK, etc.) for fear of damaging the plastic.

Lots of paper towels ended up being the only way I could get it.

It’s disgusting stuff. Only reason I got rid of some grease is because it basically came off on the bench when it was upside down as I was fixing the internals. You’re absolutely right in not using anything harsh on the plastic. I was going to use Teflon grease but decided to just leave the rest of it intact. Seems to be a bit better than when I started so that’s good. My tension knob is busted so this was really the only option for me anyway.

Be careful i just did it with my x-55 and the throttle about half of the cmd are not working anymore. Any ideas

Thanks

Sounds like you need to open it up and check to see whether you bumped some of the wire harnesses; that’s the only reason I can think of.

• 3 weeks later...