F/A-18C Hornet Trim back to neutral

Arnaud

Hello guys,

I've been trying to figure this out for a long time now.

Here's the problem.

First you take off with your well balanced aircraft, no need to trim and then you start to use your weapons and start triming the plane. At every airspeed change you have to re-trim the plane a little bit.

BUT

One you have no more weapons it seems quite impossible to go back to the initial neutral state. I"ve tried everything :

Once landed, T/O Trim, pressing the FCS reset button, cycling flaps, etc....

No matter what, once the plane has been trimmed, there's no way to go back to neutral, hence spending the rest of many flights trimming the plane all the time. Sometimes even ditching the plane to take a new one as trimming all the time is annoying.

Any help ?

Thank's.

Edited by Arnaud

Press and hold the T/O trim reset button, this will trim everything back to neutral and return your stab settings to 12 on each side, you will then need to retrim for takeoff to the standard tab of 16 or 17 or 18 if you are heavy.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

Hello guys,

I've been trying to figure this out for a long time now.

Here's the problem.

First you take off with your well balanced aircraft, no need to trim and then you start to use your weapons and start triming the plane. At every airspeed change you have to re-trim the plane a little bit.

BUT

One you have no more weapons it seems quite impossible to go back to the initial neutral state. I"ve tried everything :

Once landed, T/O Trim, pressing the FCS reset button, cycling flaps, etc....

No matter what, once the plane has been trimmed, there's no way to go back to neutral, hence spending the rest of many flights trimming the plane all the time. Sometimes even ditching the plane to take a new one as trimming all the time is annoying.

Any help ?

Thank's.

;4195491']Press and hold the T/O trim reset button' date=' this will trim everything back to neutral and return your stab settings to 12 on each side, you will then need to retrim for takeoff to the standard tab of 16 or 17 or 18 if you are heavy.[/quote']

This ^^

Pressing and holding T/O trim button while in flight can assist you with these issues. When on the ground, with FCS page displayed, pressing the FCS reset button, with flaps set to AUTO, performing a "control wipe" or full movement of the stick ( I do two complete circles), then two complete rudder inputs (full left, full right, full left, full right) - returning to center after all. Then depress T/O trim button for one second, then set flaps to half, then adjusting STAB's to 16-18 range sorts any imbalance issues for me.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

• 1 year later...

Are you having trouble when landing an rearming, or looking to reset trim in flight? T/O Trim has no function in normal flight. It will only reset the FCS trim when on the ground. 

When flying, "neutral" trim is meaningless. You should not be seeking to reset the trim to some neutral position, but trimming the aircraft to fly the way you want it to. 

• Like 1