Thrustmaster Cougar MFD just died

kengou

One of my pair of Cougar MFDs has died on me. Won't power on, no lights, Windows doesn't see it. I've had it for about 2 years now. It's on a powered USB hub. No problems before this, very sudden death. I've tried other ports and on the hub and on my PC, and it's definitely the MFD not the USB ports.

Thrustmaster told me it was out of warranty so they're no help.

Has anyone troubleshot this type of issue before or opened up one of the panels to work on it?

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

Hi Kengou

I´ve had a similar situation to yours, one day the left mfd simply went off, tried to reconnect to different usb ports and nothing, then I decided to uninstall and reinstall the MFDs drivers (the latest one from the Thrustmaster page) and it went to life again.

I don't know if you have already tried this, but it could help.

Good luck

My system: i7 9700K @ 3,6 GHz, 32 Gb RAM 2400 MHz, Gigabyte GTX 1080, 240 Gb SSD, Windows 10 64 bits, HOTAS Cougar, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek Combat rudder pedals, Cougar MFDs, TrackIr 5.0, Wheel Stand Pro v2, Gametrix JetSeat KW-908, Oculus Rift S

Hi Kengou

I´ve had a similar situation to yours, one day the left mfd simply went off, tried to reconnect to different usb ports and nothing, then I decided to uninstall and reinstall the MFDs drivers (the latest one from the Thrustmaster page) and it went to life again.

I don't know if you have already tried this, but it could help.

Good luck

Thanks, I have already tried this with no luck, I'm afraid. I might try again with a different version just to see if it's any different.

Edit: Still no luck. And it occurs to me, it's probably not drivers since one of the two MFD panels does still work. A windows driver would affect both of them.

Edited by kengou

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve got the exact same problem. (About the same age too)

Did you have any luck getting the MFD to work?

Send lawyers, guns and money......... for the …. has hit the fan.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | RAM: Corsair 32.0GB Dual-Channel | MOBO: ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (AM4) | GPU: MSI G271CQP on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 | SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB & Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB for Gaming

CH Fightersick - Pro Throttle - Pro Pedals | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar x 3 | Buddy Fox A-10C UFC

image.jpeg

mine also died on me and i fixed it by gently pinching the USB plug 'a little flatter' (thumb and finger pressure only - no tools!) to provide a tighter fit when it gets plugged in. so my issue was a connection problem due to wear or corrosion at the USB connector. might work for you.

overalien

Hog Driver starting to really like the Tomcat

System specs:

Intel i7-8700k - OC to 5.0 GHz

| 32 GB RAM 3600 MHz | Nvidia 1080ti SLi | Mixed Storage - Win 10 and DCS on Samsung SSD 970 Pro

Flightgear:

7 Displays (3 x 1440p, 1 X 1080p, 3 X Lilliput Touch) | 3 x Cougar MFDs

| Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR Pedals | iBEAM Shaker + Simshaker for Aviators w. Sound Module | Helios | VAICOM Pro + AIRIO | TrackIR 5

I’ve got the exact same problem. (About the same age too)

Did you have any luck getting the MFD to work?

I couldn’t get it resolved. I’ve given up using the MFDs and need to sell my 1 working one. Want it?

Thanks Overalien, I gave that a try and didn’t work sadly. Thanks for the tip, the connection was a bit loose.

Gday Kengou,

I’ve messaged thrustmaster as some countries/places offer two years warranty, which mine is just under. I’ll see what they come back with first but I’m in Australia so the postage may not be worth it. Thanks for the offer though.

I may end up getting new set and running three MFD’s. With this sale at the moment I’m looking at the Hornet, but the Viper is more fun for now.

Send lawyers, guns and money......... for the …. has hit the fan.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | RAM: Corsair 32.0GB Dual-Channel | MOBO: ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (AM4) | GPU: MSI G271CQP on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 | SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB & Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB for Gaming

CH Fightersick - Pro Throttle - Pro Pedals | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar x 3 | Buddy Fox A-10C UFC

image.jpeg

• 7 months later...