Question regarding =RvE= Exploits video

As a disclaimer, I would first like to mention that I by no means know very much about A2A combat let alone BVR. Up until recently I was strictly an Su-25/25T pilot.

I just finished watching the video that =RvE=Yoda and =RvE=Voodoo, and saw the part where several AIM-9M's were fired at Yoda. In that part Voodoo was chasing Yoda on the deck going about 800+ knots (approx 1280 km/h) at a distance of 0.7nm. I was just thinking that it made perfect sense that there was no way the AIM-9M's would ever hit Yoda due to the high rate of speed in a rear-aspect firing solution....? This would be due to the short firing time of the rocket motor on the AIM-9M? Or are they implying that the wind resistance is overmodelled on the rocket and/or the rocket motor is not as powerful as it should be?

Thanks

--Maulkin

--Maulkin

Windows 10 64-bit - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 3.7 GHz - 32 GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard - Samsung EVO Pro 1 TB SSD - TrackIR 4 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog - Saitek rudder pedals - Lilliput UM-80/C with TM Cougars

The rocket motor fires for some two seconds, it should be five. Also, the missile's top speed is about 500KTS greater in reality than it is in the game.

So yes, the AIM-9M is undermodeled, AND you are correct as well. In other words, the faster a guy's running from you, the shorter your firing range, but not -that- short.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

This could be a good reason to comment on some of the inputs of this forum.

However I do believe that to make a good one would take some effort to do reserch and record videos as well as tacview and than point out that a missile should be here and not there as well presentation as to say the power or deceleration is short of 20 or 30%, and so on...

I'm not gona do that due to the time issue and nor I'm I gona eccept some of the inputs like: Oh! I think it should be there or I don't think it's good enough, over or under modeled.

Thus I don't value any input of the information created in this manner.

I take this sim for what it is and would like for it to grow as well, only advertising and commenting thing in inappropriate manner is not good for the sim either i.e Oh look I've found a hole there and let the world see, it's not playable any more...

Well may be not but it's doing well for an old tipe sim and it would be nice to see work done to it all around and not just missles, somehow I saw this all along and decided to take it for what it is.

I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully.

The issues raised in that video have been known about for several years but its still worth bringing them up every now and then to try and get it fixed, even though that seems unlikely now. I would say that I don't see everything in that video as an exploit but it does make a change from calling it simply "bugs" in lomac ;) . Anyway every game or sim from HALO to Falcon has its own problems and its up to you to figure out whether you'll enjoy playing it or not. Personally Falcons FM's are just too weak and that for me is a show stopper but for others Lomacs bugs make it unplayable. The fact is that Lomac is realistic with in reason. Sure some realistic tactics wont work becasue of certain issues within the sim but that's the nature of not spending millions of dollars on a simulator with support from the manufactures of the weapons and their systems. Now that doesn't mean it's hard for us to understand why certain bugs still plague lockon when on the surface they seem rather simple to fix but on the whole I still say that Lockon is the most realistic combat sim out there. However IMO a flightsim that doesn't provoke very strong comments and heated debates isn't worth playing.

Cozmo.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Minimum effort, maximum satisfaction.

CDDS Tutorial Version 3. | Main Screen Mods.

Thanks IvanK and GGTharos, that was the information and expectations that I would not normally be aware of. I guess in my case ignorance is indeed bliss as for most of that video I could not comprehend where the problem was and how it needed to be improved, other than the fact that the missles never hit their targets of course. ;)

--Maulkin

Windows 10 64-bit - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 3.7 GHz - 32 GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard - Samsung EVO Pro 1 TB SSD - TrackIR 4 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog - Saitek rudder pedals - Lilliput UM-80/C with TM Cougars

In the case of the magic pull and barrel roll, the missiles will not pull enough g to track the target. This appears to be a seeker issue though, not one of available G (for example, R-73 is programmed to have more than enough G .. ) so there's some target tracking problem that needs to be addressed.

An orthogonal roll (kinda sorta similar to magic pull) would work well against a low energy missile, and MIGHT work against a high-energy missile, but you shouldn't be getting 100% success out of it. It's that 100% that is troubling. Missile #2 should most likely nail you.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

In the case of the magic pull and barrel roll, the missiles will not pull enough g to track the target. This appears to be a seeker issue though, not one of available G (for example, R-73 is programmed to have more than enough G .. ) so there's some target tracking problem that needs to be addressed.

An orthogonal roll (kinda sorta similar to magic pull) would work well against a low energy missile, and MIGHT work against a high-energy missile, but you shouldn't be getting 100% success out of it. It's that 100% that is troubling. Missile #2 should most likely nail you.

Yeah i agree with this.

I am also concerned about the "dodge-by-accident"

factor that is not really shown by this video.

You could do one LOW-G maneuver once,

it could break the lock of 10 missiles (meaning nothing like what was in the video)

then try it again and even though the way you did it was almost 100%

the same, all the missiles might just hit. I prefer when chance is not the biggest

contributor to how an engagement ends. It is fun when you make it part of the game,

but it really, by definition, removes skill level from a game if it becomes a too big part.

Even if this would be realistic, I prefer to not have this in a game.

What would be the coolest in my opinion would be if we could get a game like lomac

to become the overall standard for possible competitions. It has the potential, we just

need to get the fine tuning done!

S = SPARSE(m,n) abbreviates SPARSE([],[],[],m,n,0). This generates the ultimate sparse matrix, an m-by-n all zero matrix. - Matlab help on 'sparse'