Where are the input profiles supposed to be saved?

As title says I don't understand where profiles are supposed to be saved. When I select save profile in game the default save path is in the mission folder under campaigns. Searching the game's directory I found the following folder:

C:\Games\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\...

Wherein each aircraft has its own input>joystick folder, for instance the folder for the P51 is:

C:\Games\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\P-51D\Input\P-51D\joystick

So I have been saving the controls to there. Often times after a week or two of not playing the game I come back and the controls are all messed up to the terrible defaults, especially if an update happened. In the folder I now have a bunch of profiles of the same name but different device id. For instance for my ch combatstick is have three different entries of the form:

CH COMBATSTICK USB {#######-####-####-####-############}.diff.lua

I only have one combatstick so why is there three entries each with a different number letter combination? I have similar problems with my rudder pedals and throttle. I often have to clear the settings in the game and reload one of the profiles.

Please help me understand how to properly save profiles so that when an update comes or if the controller is in a different usb port I don't constantly have to reset my controls.

Intel i7-10700k, 32GB DDR4, GTX 1080 8GB, 1TB NVMe SSD, LG32GK850G 2560x1440 Monitor, Noctua u12a cooler

I save them to a folder outside of my DCS installation. If there's a problem with the profile, I just load the file to reset the bindings.

Yes, but the OP reports that the filenames are changing and that means that either he is changing USB ports often, or that he is reinstalling windows often. Just a backup will not help in that case, as the filenames have changed.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I don't have the luxury of a dedicated setup so i have to move my hotas out of the way when I'm not playing which usually means unplugging it. So do I need to plug in to the exact same usb ports then?

Intel i7-10700k, 32GB DDR4, GTX 1080 8GB, 1TB NVMe SSD, LG32GK850G 2560x1440 Monitor, Noctua u12a cooler

I don't have the luxury of a dedicated setup so i have to move my hotas out of the way when I'm not playing which usually means unplugging it. So do I need to plug in to the exact same usb ports then?
Yes this should help (it is what I do with no issues) - once you have the controls set how you want them take a copy and store in a safe location. If they do then muck up you can import your saved profiles back in, or copy them and change the device ID to match your new one

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal