Second flight mission editor method

Rolds

Hi Bunyap,

I have been building more and more missions in WWII environments using second flights following my own flight to get a larger total flight size, similar to the way your campaigns allow for flights of 8. But my technique is pretty crude, the second flight just follows me until it finds something to attack, then breaks off to do that. In your campaigns you use F10 options to allow for more control over the behavior of that second flight. If you can spare the time I would really love to see a tutorial on how that is accomplished in the mission editor.

Thanks!

Rolds

Hi Rolds, it is complicated to say the least. I really wish it were not necessary. You can see how it is set up in the sample missions like the ones here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=201236

Basically, the second flight's default behavior is 'follow'. Each F10 menu option commands a different behavior via "AI Task Push". The 'follow' behavior returns when specific criteria are met, like the player commanding rejoin, no targets are detected, or the AI flight is more than 5nm from the player.

It works surprisingly well, all things considered.

Sweet baby hey-zeus, I'm looking at charnwood 7 and I am going to need some time to study this. One thing I can already see though is the short interval time since flag triggers which switch the flags off to reset the task switches via radio commands. That might be the breakthrough I never worked out on my own in mission editing.

If you might indulge me with one more thing, what is the difference between "ai task set" and "ai task push"? You seem to use "set" for the rejoin and push for all other tasks.

Thanks!

Yeah, this was one of the biggest challenges of the campaign. If I had it to do over again, I might have chosen to have the player lead the second section and follow the squadron leader around. I really wanted it to be a sandbox where the player leads the squadron and makes decisions based on the available data instead of a scripted experience though.

One thing I learned is that you can not always stop one AI command and start another with the same trigger. That is why there are a lot of TIME SINCE FLAG (201, 1) triggers included. In other words, always stop the first command with one trigger and start the new command on the next trigger, 1 second later.

I think (and may be wrong) 'SET' overrides any other action and causes them to rejoin immediately, while 'PUSH' allows them to complete the attack then rejoin. I believe it would work fine using 'PUSH' for all commands though.

One thing I learned is that you can not always stop one AI command and start another with the same trigger. That is why there are a lot of TIME SINCE FLAG (201, 1) triggers included. In other words, always stop the first command with one trigger and start the new command on the next trigger, 1 second later.

Thanks a lot for sharing this tip … I didn't knew that :thumbup:

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB