Missile launch RWR

festr

Hi,

When I'm in about 30-40Nm range - sometimes I see warning - missile launch but sometimes I do not see it. I was fighting with JF-17 againsta JF-17. I understand that I will get the warning anytime the missile will be about 5NM near me (missile - missile - missile warning) but what exactly causes "Missile lnch" on my hud? Do I need to track the plain or did the enemy fired the misile in SST and if not in SST I will not get "Missile lnch" on my hud?

Hi,

When I'm in about 30-40Nm range - sometimes I see warning - missile launch but sometimes I do not see it. I was fighting with JF-17 againsta JF-17. I understand that I will get the warning anytime the missile will be about 5NM near me (missile - missile - missile warning) but what exactly causes "Missile lnch" on my hud? Do I need to track the plain or did the enemy fired the misile in SST and if not in SST I will not get "Missile lnch" on my hud?

i dont know if this is right or not but i feel like STT lock now cause missile launch cuz always when i am facing F/A-18 i got missile launch warning and yet no missile even fired

I have now tried - JF-17 againts JF-17 - I got MSL LAUNCH warning only when JF-17 fired the missile from STT and from TWS - I cannot remember I was getting this warning before. Do actually anyone know when we should get MSL LAUNCH warning againts AIM-120C when fired from F16/F-18 - at what range should we get the first warning for the MSL WARNING ? Does it depend on what mode they were launched?

MSL. LAUNCH means that the someone fired at you something with radar.

MISSILE MISSILE MISSILE, it means that something has triggered the Missile Warning System, but it can only cover your back, so you won't wet a MISSILE warning if someone shoots in front of you

To me it has only seem to show up from being STT Target, it’s as if if someone shoots a fox 1 at you that their CW never turns off so it keeps the MSL LNCH warning around. Of course this could happen with fox 3s if they are in STT, but that’s just what I have always thought.

I know the F-18 has had some bugs lately regarding its radar modes

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

We have fired from JF17 in TWS (only HTS - no STT) and I got missile launch from 35 NM warning (only if the fox3 were launched) - I'm curious why is that - shouldn't be firing fox3 from 35NM in TWS (no STT) silence launch and you should get warning only when missile is in like 5NM (or if the missile will just go to active)

MSL LCH is triggered when:

1. SARH, Radio command missile launch is detected,

2. ARH missile launched in STT mode.

We have tried launching ARH (SD-10) in RWR bugged target and we have still received MSL LCH - is JF-17 supposed to really get MSL LCH only in SST? I will try to do more tests today

We have tried launching ARH (SD-10) in RWR bugged target and we have still received MSL LCH - is JF-17 supposed to really get MSL LCH only in SST? I will try to do more tests today

Launch ARH in SAM/TWS should NOT trigger MSL LCH warning(same with all DCS aircraft). We have tested this long time ago and it work as intended, if you found a opposite, plz post a bug report, thx.

If accidently bug the target for a second time, SAM/TWS will switch into STT, if SD-10 is launched, the target's RWR will be trigger immediately(MSL LCH).

Note. AI JF-17 will launch the SD-10 in STT in many case, plz do the test in MP PVP enviroment only.

Deka Ironwork Tester Team

That alluring voice saying softly: Missile...Missile as you face impending doom is somewhat incongruous to the situation, don't you think?

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

The voice is sweet, isn't it?:D

I take missiles to the face just to hear it. :megalol:

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

The voice is sweet, isn't it?:D

So it works exactly as you stated - I got warning only in STT and not in other modes. We had to be confused somehow and my friend had to be in STT not knowing it or overlooking it.

STT should be the only RADAR mode that triggers the alerts because it concentrates all the enemy RADAR onto your aircraft, increasing the power received by the RWR and pushing it over the alert threshold.

TWS and SAM targeting ("soft lock") shouldn't trigger any alerts because the RADAR energy focused onto the aircraft is still too low.

Unless the aircraft can "see" the missile trail to give a missile launch warning, no alert should be received of a missile launch because the launch aircraft will datalink the target data to the missile as long as it has a lock, preventing the missile using its own seeker and triggering MISSILE alert.

I'm getting MSL LNCH as soon as it is launched in STT from 30-40NM (both planes are jf17) - is that real?

You should get TRACKING...TRACKING... in STT without launch.

I didn't think the missile emitted, nor the aircraft could detect the launch from front aspect at such a distance (the system would detect every missile fired from anywhere giving nuscience alerts constantly which would be useless).

The reason Jeff has sensors looking at the rear aspect is because it can alert you to an IR missile launch during BFM. The launch occurs close enough that it can detect the plume of the missile.

RWR is a passive receiver in DCS, no magic in implement.

how it screams depend on what signals the shooter's radar send.

STT+link signal may cause 'missile launch' warning.

So RWR can detect the datalink between the launch aircraft and the missile?

Yep. It's Your plane is in STT + missile is launched means:

Guidance waveform MAY be added

Data-link ins generated (again, waveform added to the STT waveform)

If the RWR detects this from the same source, it's probably a good indication that you're in trouble.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Well I recommend people go Jeff hunting in Sparrow armed Hornets then. If you maintain lock after firing MSL LCH will not go away even long after missile is dead, a Jeff pilot has little choice but to assume their is always a missile in the air.

If this is realistic I understand, I know there are way to trigger a false SARH missile warning, just seems different to other RWRs

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

So RWR can detect the datalink between the launch aircraft and the missile?

It's not 'detected', it's sent by shooter.

RWR will scream 'missile launch' if signal sent by shooter, unless we ignore it in our implement.

Many parts of avionics in DCS are interactive with the 'world' and dynamic, not fully controlled by one side.

That's why we need Open Beta for mess MP test, not all bugs can be caught by a small dev team.

Edited by L0op8ack

^^^^ This, plus,

@AeriaGloria,

The DCS radar does not simulate actual signal states besides 'Search', 'STT' and 'Launch'.

So, if you want to claim that an F-18 radar will cease to transmit a guidance waveform after say 80 sec (AIM-7 is guaranteed power for 70-75 sec), that's fine and I might agree (do we know that the radar will do this? Probably but no guarnatee)

But that's still a full minute of your RWR screaming at you regardless of what the missile does, since the radar doesn't know what the missile is doing. It may have missed a long time ago, but as far as the radar's concerned, there may be no reason to drop the guidance waveform.

Like I said, this part isn't simulated in DCS, so a developer programming an RWR can't write logic concerning this. They can choose to terminate never, after a timeout (is the timeout correct? why/why not?) or right after the missile misses (also not correct).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda