A couple of questions from a new mig21 pilot

ramtsi

Hi. Just recently got into dcs and the cold war birds. Have a couple of questions:

1. When using radar it doesn't show me other aircraft as single or double lines. Only as a target

above/same height/below me. What am I doing wrong?

2. When selecting a specific pylon for a missile, do I have to change to the other pylon that's

carrying the same type of missile after firing? For example, if I choose #3 pylon with an ir

missile, after firing it - do I need to change to the 4th pylon or it will automatically shoot it next

time I press weapons release?

Cheers.

1) You're not doing anything wrong. That's exactly how it's supposed to look like. The single/double lines you have mentioned only appear for IFF interrogations, but not during normal search operation.

2) No, you don't have to switch to another pylon. It just selects the number 1 priority pylon, but if the selected pylon has already been fired, then the next missile gets launched from another pylon automatically.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

1.- Yes

2.- AA priority is selected by the IR/Neutral/SARH selector.

Only if the selector is in the Neutral position the priority is established rotating the pylon selector AND ONLY to select the first pylon for the sequence.

The training missions must be updated to reflect this.

Edited by Tarres

1. So every time I have targets on screen I need to press the IFF interrogation button?

No, you don't. You only need to press the IFF interrogation buttonn if you want to interrogate the IFF status of the contact. If you already know his IFF status (from AWACS, briefing, general situational awareness) then there is no need to hit that button.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Only if the selector is in the Neutral position, the priority is established rotating the pylon selector AND ONLY to select the first pylon for the sequence.

Really? I was pretty sure I have used priority selection with the selector switch not in neutral :huh:

In fact I never have this switch set to neutral. I always switch it to the type of missile I'm using.

Tornado3 small.jpg

Holy crap, all these years I kept selecting different pylons every time I fire a missile :doh:

You actually had to do so for some years, untill this behaviour was changed to a priority based behaviour in an update ;)

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yes, 1st priority: IR/Neutral/SARH.

If set to neutral, you select the fisrt pylon in the sequence.

Only the salvo positions can be used with the 1st priority.

Edit the previous post to clarify.

Edited by Tarres

Yes, 1st priority: IR/Neutral/SARH.

If set to neutral, you select the fisrt pylon in the sequence.

Only the salvo positions can be used with the 1st priority.

Edit the previous post to clarify.

Sorry, I don't understand :(

Is there priority based selection when the switch is not set to neutral or is there not?

I thought you have to set the switch to the type of missile you are going to launch anyways, meaning you can't have it in neutral when launching A/A missiles?! :huh:

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yes, in neutral you choose the sequence, but now the second prioriry (the firing sequence) it´s broken.

For example you can select a sequence of IR/SARH/IR SARH in order to fire an IR and a SARH at the same target (as per USSR doctrine)

A lot of things are broken now. I´m testing and the ASP and the weapons selector according to RL manuals and what we have now (the manual it´s outdated, also the training missions).

Alright, I guess it's broken then, because the current behaviour ingame does not match your description of how it works.

Tornado3 small.jpg

You can only IFF in search mode. The system can't IFF a locked target. OP was not aware that IFF is performed by manually telling the radar to perform an IFF rather than the magic automatic IFF of, say, the FC3 modules.

For what it's worth, OP, pretty much every full fidelity module also requires a button press to IFF - even the modern jets. In several cases it will only display for a few seconds and will not 'save' into the radar's memory, just like the MiG. The portrayal of IFF as constant and automatic on FC3 jets is fantasy, not even the Hornet or Viper work like that.

Alright, I guess it's broken then, because the current behaviour ingame does not match your description of how it works.

Thanks to Hiromachi, I did some more tests and work perfect.

The "problem" is that the pylon numbers in the ME aren´t the same for the WCS.

In the ME:1-2-(3 central)-4-5

For the WCS: 3-1-2-4

Thanks to Hiromachi, I did some more tests and work perfect.

The "problem" is that the pylon numbers in the ME aren´t the same for the WCS.

In the ME:1-2-(3 central)-4-5

For the WCS: 3-1-2-4

I'm aware of the different pylon numerations. It's been like that since the Fishbed got released.

What I still don't understand is what you said about the IR/NEUTRAL/SARH switch and its impact on the launch priority. If you launch IR missiles, that switch should be in the IR position and launch priority should work just fine.

Tornado3 small.jpg

For mixed loadouts, e.g 2xR13M1 and 2xR60 in inner (R13,1-2) and outer (R60 1-2).

Selector in Neutral: you choose the type of missile to launch.

Position 1, order: R13M1-R13M1-R60-R60

Position 3, order: R60-R60-R13M1-R13M1

Hmm, I have no experience with the R13M1. If I fly with a mixed loadout I usally have 2xR60M on the outer (3-4) and 2xR3R on the inner (1-2) pylons.

When I want to launch the R60M I set the missile type selector to IR and the pylon selector to 3 and it will launch the R60M on pylon 3 and when I fire again it will launch the R60M on pylon 4 with the pylon selector still on 3.

When I want to launch the R3R I set the missile type selector to SARH and the pylon selector to 1 and it will launch the R3R on pylon 1 and when I fire again it will launch the R3R on pylon 2 with the pylon selector still on 1.

• Like 1

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yes.

I was referring to "mixed IR loadouts" as stated in RL manuals.

And sorry for my english.

Oh, I see. I've no experience with mixed IR loadouts, so I can't say anything about how this works in this case.

Tornado3 small.jpg