Too much drag in landing configuration.

Airhunter

As of these latest changes (currently 25th June 2020) the Mig seems veery draggy in landing configuration. I've done a few flights on the persian gulf and nevada and it seems like you need 90 to almost 100% of N1 in order to maintain 360-340kph with a reasonable descent rate. Not the 75-80% that are mentioned in the manual.

screen_200625_165450tnkhf.png

Edited by Airhunter

What's your fuel load? I noticed that with low amounts of fuel (<1000L) 80% seems fine, but with more one does need a lot of throttle. The manual also mentions that landings should only be performed with little fuel, so that makes sense to me.

What's your fuel load? I noticed that with low amounts of fuel (<1000L) 80% seems fine, but with more one does need a lot of throttle. The manual also mentions that landings should only be performed with little fuel, so that makes sense to me.

Was 2000 liters this time. I get that you shouldnt land heavy but I'm fairly certain that a clean 21 with just 2000 liters of fuel wont exceed max landing weight.I've landed with 3000 in the past and it was mostly fine. Your weight shouldnt have too much of an effect on pitch and power settings.

We've been there: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4377958&postcount=142

And as for the above. You're landing with twice the fuel load thats prescribed for landing configuration.

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

There is not specific answer, it depends on meteorological factors, fuel weight, stores, etc. It is best answer in the manual, page 32 to 34

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Whats the MLW?

Maximum landing weight. Landing Mig-21BIS with 2000 litres of fuel unless grave emergency (even than you would be ordered to eject) would earn you a flying desk career :)

From manual:

-------------------------------------------------

9. Rated landing weight for using concrete, un-paved or snowcovered runway, 6800 kgf, BLC system being used by all means.

This landing weight is obtained when the aircraft:

(a) has no external loads, fuel remainder not exceeding 700 L;

(b) carries two missiles, or two UB-16-57 pods, or two FAB100 bombs, or carries no combat stores but has empty drop tanks attached, fuel remainder being 500 L.

This fuel remainder ensures performance of a tight-visual-circuit goaround maneuver and landing, the flight endurance totalling about 6 min.

WARNINGS:

1. All other, heavier external loads shall be jettisoned before coming in to land.

2. The fuel remainder must be at least 600 L before an instrument approach to land under bad weather conditions, in order to ensure the ability to perform a two 180o turn or tight-circuit go-around maneuver.

3. The rated landing weight with the BLC system not in use is 6500 kgf. This weight is obtained when the aircraft carries no external loads and the fuel remainder is 400 L.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Emergency:

10. Landing of an overloaded aircraft (whose weight, however,

should not exceed 7300 kgf) is allowed in the following exceptional

cases:

(a) when carrying two guided missiles, or two loaded UB16-57 pods, or two FAB-100 bombs and empty drop tanks, fuel remainder not exceeding 800 L;

(b) when carrying two empty UB-32 pods and two missiles or two FAB-100 bombs, or two loaded UB-16-57 pods; when carrying four guided missiles or four loaded UB-16-57

pods; or two missiles and two loaded UB-16-57 pods (twoFAB-100 bombs); or four FAB-100 bombs, or two S-24

Landings with weights in excess of 6800 kgf shall be made with employment of the BLC system and drag chute in all cases.