Small Tracking Pipper In Dogfights

msmith301

I was watching some of the dogfight videos on YT using the F-14 and I noticed when the target went behind the canopy glass framework of the cockpit that a small pipper for lack of a better word would show up so you wouldn't lose track of the other planes location when it went behind the canopy framework.

How is this initiated without doing full out labels?

Strange. I just don't know what you mean, can you maybe post a link to one of those videos and tell me where to find it? I never experienced such things.

I'm seeing them in Spudknocker's videos.

This video in particular was were I first noticed it.

The first can be seen at 1:04 to 1:09 as it moves down across the top of the canopy crossbar, across the mirror and into the HUD's target box.

1:30-1:33 where he starts to pull away and out of the HUD the "pipper" as I'm calling it moves back up across the canopy frame and mirror and you can see it as it's moving across the framework.

When it's behind the canopy frame it shows up as a really small green speck but you can definitely see it moving along the same path as the target plane.

You can see it through out the video. Sometimes it's harder to spot in the faster moving baking and jinking but when he's trying to pull guns on in a hard turn is where it's most noticeable.

I'm seeing them in Spudknocker's videos.

This video in particular was were I first noticed it.

The first can be seen at 1:04 to 1:09 as it moves down across the top of the canopy crossbar, across the mirror and into the HUD's target box.

1:30-1:33 where he starts to pull away and out of the HUD the "pipper" as I'm calling it moves back up across the canopy frame and mirror and you can see it as it's moving across the framework.

When it's behind the canopy frame it shows up as a really small green speck but you can definitely see it moving along the same path as the target plane.

You can see it through out the video. Sometimes it's harder to spot in the faster moving baking and jinking but when he's trying to pull guns on in a hard turn is where it's most noticeable.

You can also see it in this video at 2:55 as the target moves from top of canopy across mirror.

You plainly see it highlighted in mirror image of the crossbar. Small black speck that moves with the plane in the distance as it comes down across to the HUD.

From main screen go to options then gameplay, on the right of the screen is Labels drop down menu, use dot only.

This, but you also need to edit the labels.lua file in Config/View/ or you get annoying stuff like chevrons, rather than just a small dot on aircraft.

This, but you also need to edit the labels.lua file in Config/View/ or you get annoying stuff like chevrons, rather than just a small dot on aircraft.

How do you edit the files?

Haven't had a lot of practice working with DCS file system.