VR setting: hands active only when palm grip

streakeagle

Does this work?

I have tried two forms of control:

1) Rift S with Oculus Touch controllers

2) Leap Motion hand tracking emulation of Steam VR controllers

I expected the hand(s)/controller(s) to disappear when not in my hand. I can understand that the leap motion/Steam VR combinations may have the palm grip detection defaulted to "ON".

But the Oculus controllers very much know when a hand is holding them and when it is not. Yet they are always on screen after I set them down.

Up to now, I only use the mouse when flying. I normally remove the batteries from the controllers after starting up oculus and enabling the desktop view so I can see and use my mouse. But if a VR hand was only visible when I want to pick up a controller and use it, I would give up the mouse in DCS World.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I solved the problem by having a table in front of me.

I put my controllers there, so the gloves "disappear" behind the instrument panel.

That way they are always available when I need them.

I use the controllers instead of mouse.

I am using Oculus Touch controllers.

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

I still find the mouse faster and more accurate. I have two problems with using the mouse:

1) It tracks off the window causing all kinds of problems with "window out of focus".

2) I am right handed and have the mouse to my right, so I have to take my hand off of the stick to use it.

While on the ground, the mouse is by far the fastest way to get through manual startup procedures and doesn't suffer from problem 2. But moving out of the window frame is annoying on the ground and potentially fatal in the air.

I like the look of the virtual hands, but they are lot less precise. Harder to operate the desired control and possibly operating undesired controls. In a more perfect work, capto-gloves would work flawlessly and I would already own a pair. But such is not the case.

I am probably going to buy Miles' mouse pointer tool, but I will wait for version 2 to be finished and taking orders. I understand that it is the best solution, behaving more like a mouse in terms of precision, but still moving with your hands as needed.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

They simply need to disappear when the controller isn't moved for like 2-3 seconds, just the way it is within the Oculus menu when the hands turn back intro the controllers. Holding grip keys starts making them actually interact with the cockpit, so you don't hit things by accident that you didn't want to (there's an option for that that has to be checked for the RH controller).

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I have a Rift S and I use a mod for the hands that makes them look like the green gloves pilots wear as opposed to black hands. Then when I am flying with the pilot body on and I lay the controllers in my lap (for example I frequently fly the F-18 ) then the gloves blend so well I barely notice them. Not a solution but sometimes work around's can provide some relief while looking for better answers. Good luck and happy flying!

Dont want to open a new thread, before I ask here first:

So I got the Rift S only yesterday, setting it up has been quite a hassle. But it works well enough once setup properly (which is something Im still tinkering with) My question is concerning the touch controllers:

How do I use them in DCS? They just dont seem to work for me. I see the "hands" I can move them around but how do I flip the switches? Which combinations of buttons on the controllers do I have to press to actually flip a switch? Taking my hands of the stick and using the mouse in the air seems to be impossible, or at least much, much harder than it is with a 2d screen.

Edited by OnlyforDCS

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

When you squeeze the button on the grip, you will see the fingers close into a fist except for the index finger pointing and a colored laser pointer line coming out of the index finger. That is the mode you need to operate controls. Rotating your wrist clockwise and counter clockwise controls the changes the color of the laser line. The colors indicate the direction the control will move (kind of like choosing left or right mouse button).

Some controls don't care about the color. You can touch the control with the index finger and the switch or lever will toggle positions. You can also point the laser line at a control and then pull the trigger to get the same effect as touching the control with the index finger. When the laser line is on a switch, you may be able to toggle it by moving the thumbstick up or down.

Analog knobs are a little trickier. You can point at them to select them. Then moving your hand up or down may rotate the knob. If you get stuck on a knob, you may need to pull the trigger while on the knob, then release the trigger to let go of the knob. The knob might also be rotated by moving the touch controller thumbstick left or right.

Rotating selector switches are where the color matters. When you point at the switch, you pull the trigger to rotate it one "click". The direction it rotates depends on the color of the line.

What gets really tricky is that there is usually more than one way to operate a switch, .i.e. pointing with a line and pulling the trigger or touching it with your finger. So, when you are trying to use one method, the other method may inadvertently cancel out or over control what you are trying to do. This is especially the case with trying to touch the controls with the index finger. You are more likely to accidently touch other controls or accidentally use the laser line to cause an extra "click" or "toggle".

The virtual hands look pretty cool aside from floating in the air, but I am still way faster and have no accidental control movements using the mouse.

For me, the ideal setup would be to mimic the cockpit in real life with identical dimensions to DCS cockpits (vice real cockpits which are almost always different from DCS models in some key arrangements/dimensions), then have the floating hands connected to the virtual pilot's arms but don't have the virtual hands actually touch anything, but exist only to show where your real hands are relative to your real world cockpit that you otherwise can't see.

Edited by streakeagle

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1) It tracks off the window causing all kinds of problems with "window out of focus".

Checking the "Cursor confined to game window" option and moving the windows taskbar to the left of my screen instead of the default bottom, fixed that for me.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

After disabling the mouse and fiddling with the touch controllers a bit, I am going to try exclusively using the touch controllers for awhile.

When there is a virtual pilot body present, I can leave the controllers on my lap where they are easy to find and use, but are virtually invisible. The only risk is having them fall off my lap. But I have already seen someone else's solution to this: where a neck strap and leave the controllers dangling from it. I think having two independent straps would be best so that the two controllers aren't connected in any way other than both have straps hanging loosely around your neck. My intention is that there wouldn't be any weight on the straps unless the controller rolls off of my leg. The straps would have to be long enough to permit free movement with my arms fully extended, but even at that length, they couldn't fall very far if they did roll off of my leg.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I guess Im going to have to try and do some experimenting. Starting up an L39C was almost impossible in the training mission, due to many switches simply not working with the touch controllers (or more probably me not hitting them correctly)

Thanks for the extensive reply Streakeagle.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.