[GMT LATER IN EARLY ACCESS] First experience with air to ground radar

Lanzfeld113

I went onto a server where I know there’s a group of five vehicles traveling up and down a coastal road for about 20 miles. I searched patiently with the air to ground radar for about 30 minutes. I used all 3 EXP levels but I simply could not find them among the ground clutter. I played with the brightness and the contrast but there is just too many returns with all the buildings. Unless you’re looking for vehicles out in the middle of the desert all alone it’s going to be really hard to find them. Does the real hornet have a mode that only shows moving vehicles on the radar? Like a GMT mode? Is that going to be added later on the DCS hornet?

Yes, GMT will added later. For now, we only have MAP mode, which only displays the raw return, without being able to highlight anything.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Thanks for the answer. That makes a lot more sense. Otherwise map mode isn’t very useful at all. Well I guess that’s not true. If you know exactly where the targets are going to be located then it works I guess.

Exactly, these modes are for preplanned strikes or navigation assistance, not for hunting moving targets on patrol.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

I went onto a server where I know there’s a group of five vehicles traveling up and down a coastal road for about 20 miles. I searched patiently with the air to ground radar for about 30 minutes. I used all 3 EXP levels but I simply could not find them among the ground clutter. I played with the brightness and the contrast but there is just too many returns with all the buildings. Unless you’re looking for vehicles out in the middle of the desert all alone it’s going to be really hard to find them. Does the real hornet have a mode that only shows moving vehicles on the radar? Like a GMT mode? Is that going to be added later on the DCS hornet?

Its true you will need GMT for radar to be useful against ground vehicles, and SEA mode to make the most of attacking surface ships but that being said It seems map mode is indeed somewhat under performing in resolution/ distance of which things become sharp.

Even certain objects arent programmed to render into the A/G map yet.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4461491&postcount=69

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=283300&page=8

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Kev2go, you keep repeating yourself but your arguments are based in different systems, i had the opportunity to see an exp2 image from a real apg-65 and EDs model is spot on

We don't have an APG65 but an APG 73 phase 2 ( or at least should given what was deduced). You should have been able to figure out iwas specifically referring to EXP 3 which uses not DBS but SAR ( Its in the title of the thread, and therefore the focus of the discussion). Im not going to clutter this thread with more specifics. Its all there in the thread that was linked, and in fact points made are very pertinent to this specific radar system. Even that aside nor does it change the fact that outside specific radar model itself the A/G tech is very WIP, and certain objects simply aren't programmed for A/G to recognize them or render them in. You clearly have not been following the new discussions.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD