Your latest experiences with the updated F16s dogfighting potential

darkman222

I put the two jets into the mission as Ace AI's and rode along in chase view. Better than netflix. They did not use guns, and after a number of passes they collided. They stayed in AB for almost the entire fight, but the Viper did more braking and less AB time than the hornet. Second flight the Hornet scored on its first trigger pull, but it took 6 mins of turning. Tons of fun!

I think you cant compare yourself against AI, or AI vs AI. The AI is stupid and maybe it even cheats some real world foces apply to you as player but not to the AI. At least I heard about it for WW2 AI aircraft. You need an F18 player who does not use g-limiter override and who does not crank the Hornet stick like crazy so that the Hornets G Limiter can catch up. I tried the cut circle method which was discussed in the first pages of the thread. But as long as the F16 pilot cant sustain a full 180 degree turn around with 9 G the F16 cant be flown as it was designed for.

AI uses a different flight model unfortunately, so comparing with it is very pointless.

I think it's also kinda pointless to compare Viper against Hornet for any reasonable discussion on the FM regardless, as there's no charts for the Hornet, nor does it really matter how they stack up.

It's an F-18A/DCS at the end of the day.

Plenty good info on the F-16 to do standalone comparisons.

ED probably have more data on the F/A-18 than we have, but are unable to share it. The obvious problem with this is that checking wether they followed what'ever data they have with precision isn't possible for us, hence we're forced to accept how the F/A18 currently performs and hope they got it right. We do however know that the possibility of them getting it wrong in certain areas is there, and we know this since there are inconsistencies with some of their other aircraft modules where we CAN check for inconsistencies, like for example the F-16 where sustained & instantaneous turn performance is lacking compared with the available RL EM diagrams.

There is I believe an issue with acceleration with the Viper. I can be nose down with full AB and I'm not picking up speed, yet I still get the buffeting affect from approaching the flight limits of the aircraft. I suspect there's a fix for this in the works.