FINAL HP REVERB G2 - Unboxing & First Impressions - Is it even better now?

@Thinder, it is a big difference with a WMR headset you need to use SteamVR and WMR for SteamVR and DCS, it works with the occulus as it is a standalone device and SteamVR and WMRfSteam are not needed..

I thought the G2 was a WMR Device? (Windows Mixed Reality)

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

@Thinder, it is a big difference with a WMR headset you need to use SteamVR and WMR for SteamVR and DCS, it works with the occulus as it is a standalone device and SteamVR and WMRfSteam are not needed..

Compatibility doesn't mean it is WMR or that it needs it or Steam VR to run a game. In any case I'll have the answer as soon as my supplier support will answer my questions, but even before that I am skeptical, they can't sell a headset without the necessary software to run it, and if one or the other was necessary for it, it would be already integrated in the support software. This is not the case.

Here is what HP have to say about compatibility.

4. Windows Mixed Reality requires Windows 10 May 2019 Update installed on the workstation or PC. Features may require software or other 3rd-party applications to provide the described functionality. To minimize the possibility of experiencing discomfort using a VR application, ensure that the PC system is equipped with the appropriate graphics and CPU for the VR application. For HP workstation VR ready recommended configurations, see: https://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetDoc...e=4AA7-6063ENW

Compatibility.jpg.51a7472e4fc9f6983f71f10c6910b953.jpg

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

It is. And in fact you need 3 software parts - Windows Mixed reality, SteamVR and windows mixed reality for SteamVR.

It is excactly the same for all of the windows mixed reality headsets like Odyssey, G1 and G2.

And you need SteamVR even to run Windows Mixed Reality Headsets with the DCS standalone version.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-steamvr-windows-mixed-reality

FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | SA342  R5 5600X | 32GB | RX 6800XT | TM Cougar | T-Rudder mk.IV | HP Reverb G2

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle USB standalone MOD

It is. And in fact you need 3 software parts - Windows Mixed reality, SteamVR and windows mixed reality for SteamVR.

It is excactly the same for all of the windows mixed reality headsets like Odyssey, G1 and G2.

And you need SteamVR even to run Windows Mixed Reality Headsets with the DCS standalone version.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-steamvr-windows-mixed-reality

This not what your article says, all it says is:

You're now getting access to thousands more apps, games, and experiences that make this union truly special

So as I was saying, you have access to more of what is available on the web but this doesn't mean you need it to run the headset and play DCS with it, more to the point it is meant for use of controllers for gaming or other apps, but I have been confirmed by a user that to play DCS, you DONT need controllers, you simply can use a mouse which is what I intend to do, it will save me 120 quid.

wmr-controller-steamvr-diagram-01-26ed.thumb.png.51384dbe7fa40c1164921b8056e3bf5e.png

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

Yeah well...when you got the screens turned on in your HP Reverb G2 without mixed reality, let me know.

At least its funny how you ignore everyone who has more expertise than you do.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WindowsMR/c...eality_portal/

Assumption is the mother of all you know what.

I just watched a video where a user turns off Windows Mixed Reality, and I have a simple question for you. Once you had your hardware installed, did you try to launch DCS in VR mode to see if your headset was detected?

As far as I know, you guys only followed the manual by the letter, meaning O.S update if it wasn't done already, download of those Apps FIRST, but never really figured if users not willing to use controllers would be able to do without them while playing DCS, meaning not needing those apps, and since it is exactly what I intend to do because there is a £120 difference between the two options offered by my provider, I might have a lot more expertise than you do after weeks of researches and hundred of questions asked, here is what I figured so far.

1) You CAN play DCS without controllers with the G2.

2) Windows Mixed reality, SteamVR and windows mixed reality for SteamVR are support Apps for controllers compatible with more VR headets than the G2, in fact controllers are a niche for Windows Mixed reality, it is not meant to replace native drivers.

3) You can turn Windows Mixed reality off, as some users does, it will still work perfectly.

4) According to the Set Up guide manual (Step 1), you don't need Steam VR to initiate the process of installing the G2, connecting the headset to your PC will automatically launch the connection to the mixed reality portal (you need to be online), there not a single word about installing Windows Mixed reality previous to this step and apart that it might start the download of drivers and firmware for it no mention of it needed to run the G2 once this have been done. This answers avgyst question as to the necessity of installing Steam VR, it is not necessary. https://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetDoc...e=4AA7-5420ENW

5) I haven't seen anyone who conducted serious testing of the headset so far on this particular topic, so I'd advise those who are saying otherwise to try this: Disable Windows Mixed reality and Steam, start DCS.

I'm not sure you're willing to do that but it will be the very first thing i do in a few weeks when I got mine, because I do without Steam and I'm pretty sure I is possible to do without Windows Mixed reality, in short, before installing anything, I check if I can do without. Cheers.

[video=youtube_share;-KNk_wovPXo]