Serbian Orao J-22 crash

Vekkinho

It happened today some 40 km north from Serbian capital:

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/news/europe/news/article_1406749.php/Serbian_fighter_jet_crashes_near_Belgrade__2nd_Roundup_

Pilot ejected but broke a leg, last Serbian (Yugoslav) Orao that crashed was in 1995 near city of Kraljevo.

Orao was produced during '80s in cooperation between Yugoslavia and Romania. It was used in Balkans wars during '90s as a ground attack aircraft only YU plane capable of carrying AGM-65 A and B Mavs!

How Orao (Eagle in Serbian) looks like:

Although it's pretty similar to Sepecat Jaguar (if you ask me) but it's 2X Turbomecanica/Orao-built Rolls Royce Viper Mk 632-47 turbojets are capable of high-subsonic speeds only. It never made beyond M1.0 in level!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot is stabile, but broke a leg and has spinal injuries.

The Orao fleet is currently undergoing major maintenance, and some 30 aircraft are operational. Flight hours are also on the increase. People who live in the area near the crash site say that they've been seeing flights of 4 Oraos in the past few day.

Edit: this perticular aircraft has undergone major rehaul in March this year.

Never forget that World War III was not Cold for most of us.

Orao-janik.jpg

Pilot is all right!!!! YEEESSS!

• Like 1

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Did anyone find out why did the plane crash?! Is it human error (CFIT, flat spin) or some onboard failure?!!
It is way too early to tell. From the news report („Орао” пао у Баранду, пилот се катапултирао), it appears that the pilot was aware of the problem and was able to steer the airplane away from houses. Very good pilot indeed.

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

First reports are expected in 15 days. He was at 2500m @ 600 km/h.

The airplane fell in very muddy terrain, and only one wing was visible; the rest sank into the mud. There was no explosion upon impact.

Im glad he survived. This plane looks very sleek and cool!

Like I said, reminds me of Sepecat Jaguar!

NSCode says there are 30 functional Oraos today in Serbia, but I remember during '80s in Yugoslav Air Force when this plane was produced in Soko Mostar factory there was more flyable Oraos. I think it was produced in the neighbourhood of 150 birds in total. Romanian IAR also produced those planes but I have no idea are they still functional and used in Romanian AF.

Orao cockpit:

0426116.jpg

Cockpit is pretty old fashioned, russian sturdy approach but western electronics from '70s. Just note single throttle arm in a twin engine plane!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It seems now that pilot doesn't have spinal injury, but only had back-pain, witch comes natural after an ejection.

All Romanian aircraft are retired. Around 30 are functional now, but the number is at an increase.

The type saw active combat in the recent wars, including extreme low level flights against KLA in Kosovo with no aircraft lost to NATO in air. However, many have been destroyed on the ground. It was also used against cruise missiles with some success, including an unconfirmed Tarran kill against a Tomawk.

It also appears in folk tales about a dogfight with MiG-21, and a strike against an airport near Tirana in '99.

And stop calling it a Jaguar ;) There are similarities, but they're different aircraft. And the Orao is much sexier :)

It looks like the pilot did sustain some chest injury as per news from B92

New air crash in Serbia. A private owned Gazelle helicopter (YU-HEO) crashed yesterday while crop dusting. It was flown by active military pilots. It fell in a shallow muddy lake, not more that 20 km from where the Orao crashed last week.

Scarry.

Pilot had minor head injuries, and copilot had a bad leg injury. Now they are at VMA (military medicine academy) but the irony is once he gets better he will probably be sent to Banja Rusanda rehabilitation center.. the place where they've crashed.

The F-18's from the US have the MB Mk.14 (NACES), the Canadian, and probably Spanish ones have the SJU-5 Mk.10 based seat. It's a good seat, as long as low altutude and sink rates (even moderate ones) are not combined.

Care to elaborate on the single throttle lever?

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

Well there's not much to elaborate, separate throttle control of engine 1 and 2 is impossible. This might be the reason pilot had to eject without possibility of single engine flight! Throttle is pretty straightforward and simple, only the main function of controlling RPM is supported, no additional buttons and switches. However, pic I've posted is SOKO Orao J-22 cockpit (version built in Yugoslavia) w/o After Burners while Romanian version (IAR-93B "Vulture") built by I.R.Av. Craiova had afterburning Viper Mk 633-47 so there's a possibility of slight difference in cockpit and control design.

I must mention that both versions (Yu and Rom) experienced problems with engine reliability during test hi alt flights. Engines used to stop and inflight restart was a lucky call!

This asked for a combustion chamber redesign and modification on latter prototypes.

One of the planes (Romanian twin seater IAR-93DC, IIRC) was lost when elevator broke off during hi subsonic flight at sea level. This prompted hardening of fuselage structure!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Some Soko planes had afterburners too.

It's not like afterburners were some sort of upgrade. The plane was designed for an afterburning engine from the beginning. But, some delivery difficulties forced the designers to use the non-afterburning version of the engine, so the planes could be completed. A retrofit of the AB unit to all aircraft was planed, but in the end only some received it.

The F-18's from the US have the MB Mk.14 (NACES), the Canadian, and probably Spanish ones have the SJU-5 Mk.10 based seat. It's a good seat, as long as low altutude and sink rates (even moderate ones) are not combined.

IIRC the only bigger difference between Mk.10 and Mk.14 is liferaft on latter.

Mk.14 was developed and entered service in 1984 thru 86 (IIRC) as a seat for US Navy and Marine Corps. It replaced Mk.10 because of liferaft that was included.

Canadian, Spanish, Swiss, Aussie and Finnish Hornets are also capable of AC carrier deployment but still use "older" Mk.10 just like U said!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

And it goes on... An Utva-75 crashed into Danube today in Belgrade. It was towing a banner, flew to low, and the banner caught a sail boat's mast.

152545652148402fc573a4a135310148.jpg

I am very scared now. I thought about going to an air show this Sunday, but now I just don't know.