HOTAS mapping for use with Thrustmaster's F 18C flight sitck

ebenitez

Hello everybody

I have recently bought a F18C flight stick from Thrustmaster and I realised, as it can be seen in the cockpit, the F15C flight sitck is very similar to the F 18C one. Does anybody know what are the real functions of the buttons in the F 15C flight stick? I would like to map these functions on the F 18C stick as long as it's possible.

Thank you very much

My system: i7 9700K @ 3,6 GHz, 32 Gb RAM 2400 MHz, Gigabyte GTX 1080, 240 Gb SSD, Windows 10 64 bits, HOTAS Cougar, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek Combat rudder pedals, Cougar MFDs, TrackIr 5.0, Wheel Stand Pro v2, Gametrix JetSeat KW-908, Oculus Rift S

Heres a diagram for the F-15A HOTAS, the only thing its missing is the castle switch, and I dont have any C model documentation for the new HOTAS, though I have one for the E.

spacer.png

Heres one for the E:

spacer.png

• Like 1

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

Hi Dundun92.

Thank you very much, that's just what I looked for. 

Best regards

My system: i7 9700K @ 3,6 GHz, 32 Gb RAM 2400 MHz, Gigabyte GTX 1080, 240 Gb SSD, Windows 10 64 bits, HOTAS Cougar, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek Combat rudder pedals, Cougar MFDs, TrackIr 5.0, Wheel Stand Pro v2, Gametrix JetSeat KW-908, Oculus Rift S

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the stick in the F-15C MSIP (what we have in DCS):

F15msipstick.jpg

The castle switch can't be used exactly like this in DCS because the MFDs (VSD and MPCD) aren't modeled as fully interactive. However, I imagine this is how the pilot would adjust radar parameters such as display range and scan azimuth width, so I would map those controls there. (Radar on/off and PRF setting controls appear to be on the left console instead of HOTAS.)

My guess is the auto acquisition switch functions as:

• Forward: cycle between boresight (BORE) mode and long range search (LRS) mode
  • Rear: cycle between vertical scan (VS) mode and track while scan (TWS) mode
  • Down: return to search (target unlock)

I haven't found anything public about this, though, so that's just conjecture. If you want to set up the presses to alternate different commands, there's a thread about that here:

Alternatively, you could approximate this behavior by using a throttle button (for example) as a modifier, which would let you determine which mode is selected by a forward or rear press depending on whether that modifier button is held down (e.g., forward press without the modifier held = boresight mode; forward press with the modifier held = BVR mode).

Edited by N22YF
clarity
  • Thanks 1

Thumb forward once is SuperSearch, second is boresight, rear is Vertical Scan, down is reject/return to search

• Like 1

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

2 hours ago, dundun92 said:

Thumb forward once is SuperSearch, second is boresight, rear is Vertical Scan, down is reject/return to search

Thanks for the correction! I did some more research and it's a bit more complex than I thought. My understanding now is, if you're starting in LRS, then the auto acquisition switch behaves as you wrote. However, if you're starting in STT, then the auto acquisition switch forward or rear enters different TWS modes (HDTWS and regular TWS). From LRS, TWS can be entered by pressing the castle switch up, or pressing the throttle boat switch aft. Since supersearch and HDTWS aren't modeled in DCS, I would suggest the following mapping of the auto acquisition switch (a.k.a. "weapon select switch" for the F/A-18C) as a stab at approximating the real thing:

• Forward: boresight mode
  • Rear: vertical scan mode
  • Down: BVR mode
  • Left or right (or use a control on the throttle instead): Return To Search/NDTWS

and then map the Radar RWS/TWS Mode Select command to a control on the throttle and/or the castle push button.

(This actually may apply to just the APG-70 radar and not our APG-63(V)1, but if I had to guess, I'd suspect that TWS is controlled similarly for both.)

Edited by N22YF
  • Like 1