Trying to decide on this aircraft

Shibbyland

Just gave it a try on the free to fly. Seems pretty neat, simple but neat. Trying to decide between this and the P-47.

I only play single player on stable and both aircraft are severely lacking in single player missions/campaigns. Any thoughts from people on why I should pick one over the other...or neither?

I own the majority of modules including around half of the WW2 warbirds. No massive preference between air to air and air to ground, happy with either, just need decent missions.

F-5e looks very dated graphically but I have heard that will be improved.

There is soon to be a DLC campaign for the P47 by reflected. neither come with a free campaign, but you can use DCS liberation, free dynamic campaign generator

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

I can only give you my own view, hope this helps in deciding.

I chose the F-5 for nostalgic reasons and for now i will not buy any ww2 related planes for DCS. 
When it comes to ww2, i stick with il-2.

I generally like a bit of "older" planes of days gone by. Our airforce had the NF-5 (a modified F-5) during the 70's/80's and this also adds to my nostalgia.

The relative simplicity of the plane also spoke to me, the cockpit is much simpler than let's say an F-16. As a family dad, i didn't want to spend too much time learning the cockpit from scratch.
The cockpit has quite good visibility allround.

The graphics, you say they are not so good, i don't agree with that. But then again, this is not my focal point, i think im not so demanding here.

Last thing, but not least, the F-5 is a bit of a niche plane to me, it is not so common in flightsims as an F-15 for example.

• Like 1

Get the F-5.

IMHO it doesn't look "dated", either simulation or otherwise.

It's extremely functional, generally flies very well, and is a proper "old school" fighter.

It has a great weapons capability, and pre-dates the glass-cockpit era of newer fighters, requiring actual pilot skills to score kills.

I own nearly every other module in DCS, and the F-5 is up there as one of my favorites. All we're missing is an F-16A Block 10.

Edited by Tiger-II
  • Like 1

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

I bought it, I really like it, particularly when you start scoring reliable and accurate hits using the bombing tables. 

It's just the lack of content yet again that bugs me. I use the quick mission builder and then edit the mission to try give it a 1970s feel but it's not that great.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...