Mission design with Hornet: SA page vs TCN

pcoud

I am currently working on designing a mission in the ME, including an awacs, a tanker and a Hornet. I couldn't get the SA page working in the Hornet. After investigation, it appears that if I set the TACAN of the tanker on channel 1X, 2X or 3X, the SA page of my Hornet is working fine but is not working anymore if the tanker's TACAN is on channel 4X, 5X, or 6X (I only tested these 6 channel values).

Are some TCN channel values interfering with the Datalink ? Should some TCN channel values be avoided ?

Has this something to do with the herebelow quote (from Wags Feb2019) ? (I must say I don't really understand what is explained herebelow)

Hey everyone,

As some have correctly deduced, we also implemented realistic frequencies for A/A TACAN that do not interfere with the datalink. If you are having issues of C2 aircraft, C2 contacts, and some PPLI not appearing on the SA page, note that that TACAN functionality is embedded in the MIDS terminal. Because the upper antenna filter is fixed, it filters A/A TACAN frequencies on channels 1-36 and 64-99 (X and Y). A/A TACAN channels should be chosen outside of these ranges. The upper filter makes the top antenna unusable for T/R (Air to Ground) TACAN channels 1-29 X and Y, 47X to 63X and 64Y to 92Y. For TACAN channels in these ranges, the bottom antenna is the only antenna for TACAN. [This] causes reduced ranges for DME at channels within the range of the filter when flying directly away from the TACAN station.

In addition to setting TACANs within the correct range, also be sure to set the initial waypoint of an AWACS to include an EPLRS advanced waypoint action set to ON.

Both the TACAN and the datalink run on the MIDS system in your jet. Some TACAN frequencies interfere with datalink frequencies, sometimes causing issues with the datalink and sometimes degrading the TACAN range. These frequencies (TACAN channels) should be avoided.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Thank you @Harker. Is that documented somewhere ? Even in the very latest FA18C manual I could only find that TACAN channels 68 and 69 should be avoided.

When you say "Some TACAN frequencies interfere with datalink frequencies", do we know which ones ? 

Is WAGS quote hereabove still valid ? Does that mean I have to choose whatever A/A TACAN channel between 37 and 63 ?

Thx !

2 hours ago, pcoud said:

Thank you @Harker. Is that documented somewhere ? Even in the very latest FA18C manual I could only find that TACAN channels 68 and 69 should be avoided.

When you say "Some TACAN frequencies interfere with datalink frequencies", do we know which ones ? 

Is WAGS quote hereabove still valid ? Does that mean I have to choose whatever A/A TACAN channel between 37 and 63 ?

Thx !

The frequencies that are problematic correspond to the aforementioned TACAN channels. Take a look here, each channel corresponds to a certain frequency.

Use the attached pic as a guide.

tacan.png

Edited by Harker
  • Like 2

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Also make sure you Turn on Awaks DataLink "EPLRS" ( "Perform Command" / "EPLRS",  )

That needs to be set in order for the awaks to display the enemy aircraft etc...

I mention, cause I just found this out myself. I was like why no hits? lol. 

• 1 year later...
On 1/1/2021 at 8:54 AM, chase said:

Also make sure you Turn on Awaks DataLink "EPLRS" ( "Perform Command" / "EPLRS",  )

That needs to be set in order for the awaks to display the enemy aircraft etc...

I mention, cause I just found this out myself. I was like why no hits? lol. 

Airborne Warning And Kommand System 😋

/joke, I'm out !

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi