quick question about gpu's for vr

GPU market is a nightmare right now.

(In theory) the Nvidia 3070s should be less than those 600 €, but I wish you luck finding one.

Same for the AMD 6800.

Newer cards will be announced in mid Jaunary on the CES show.

I won´t buy a 2070S at this point in time.

• Like 1

It depends on the headset you want to use. For older headsets such as the Rift CV1 (or perhaps the Rift S as well), a 2070S will do just fine: I had one in my last setup. But for a Reverb G2 it's not enough: you'll struggle even with SteamSS at 50%.
Also keep in mind the 2070S only has 8GB of VRAM, which is fine for Caucasus/NTTR/SoH but insuffiencient for The Channel and Syria (if you want to run with terrain textures set to High). So if you want to fly in Syria for example, you'll have to run with Terrain Textures on Low or you'll have a horrible experience (bad framerates and mad stuttering especially at low altitude over cities).

• Like 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

The 2070 is actually slower overall than the 1080 Ti 11GB, for faster, you'll have to look at 2080 and above.

What Raven (Elysian Angel)   says about the maps and more complicated scenarios is true, but you also have to take into account the role of the CPU and bound them together, so as to avoid bottleneck which would limit the performance of your all system. That's why you need a strong processor and what was suggested to you in the other topic is misleading.

I chose the Ryzen 5 5600X for a good reason.

With my actual card, 1080Ti O.Ced the GPU is the source of the bootleneck, 5.87% of GPU bottleneck on 2160p/4K resolution (lower than 10% = better).

With the 2080 Ti 11GB, bound is better, only 1.75% of GPU bottleneck on 2160p/4K resolution.

With an RTX 3070 8GB, 3.42% of GPU bottleneck on 2160p/4K resolution.

With an RTX 3080, only 0.36% of GPU bottleneck on 1080p resolution.

So as you can see, the 5600X which I got for £299.99 can easily deal with a GPU of this category, the stronger the card, the lower the GPU bottleneck which indicates that up to the RTX 3080, it will be more than sufficient and won't be the source of the bottleneck at this sort of resolution, which is what you need to run DCS in VR.

So since you're into Intel, you'll need an Intel CPU with similar performances to that of the Ryzen 5 5600X, that would be an Intel i10900K which is equally fast single core but runs faster with all Cores in benches, the problem being that DCS will not use all its 10 cores and that up to 6 Cores, the 5600X might run the game faster. Core speed is not the only parameter.

Note that I am talking non Overcloked speeds here, Intel claim a 5200GHz all core O.C, some 5600X users claimed a stable 6000 GHz O.C all Cores, the overclocking paradise of fanboys of both makers is a battlefield you'd better leave to them, stick to stock settings and true boost speeds.

The Intel i10900K will requier to be cooled with a non-stock fan to reach 5200GHz all core, you can reach max boost frequencies of the AMD CPU with stock fans, may users runs theirs at 4850 MHz all Cores.

Bottleneck calculator

Infos on Intel and NVIDIA website.

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.