[How to] Multi monitor MFCD display export set-up guide - July 2023 (updated)

jonsky7

10 minutes ago, bond672 said:

You've done it! You've absolutely nailed it. 

As a Royal Air force Veteran I want to say thankyou from the bottom of my heart for making my dcs experience so much better. 

Thankyou so much 

Simon. I will attach a picture. 

Simon. 

16719981309159050628880919584688.jpg

You are very welcome sir, glad to have helped. 

Don't hesitate to drop by again if you require any further assistance. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, bond672 said:

They also need to come down slightly. Do in just edit the values on x and y for each mfd at a time? 

X is width

Y is height

If you don't have a width problem, don't change X.

I'm not updating this anymore. It's safe to assume I have all the stuff, and the stuff for the stuff too. 🙂

7 hours ago, jonsky7 said:

X and Y are for position, x is left/right, y is up/down

Right. Making X for width, and Y for height. 

Don't change X when you have a problem with Y. 

I'm not updating this anymore. It's safe to assume I have all the stuff, and the stuff for the stuff too. 🙂

How do you prevent DCS from "covering up" unused monitors?

#1 is my primary display and #3/#4 are viewports only. Those work fine, but monitor #2 is blacked out - it's being used by DCS but nothing is being sent to it. I'd like to free it up to have non-DCS windows open.

Is there some way to do this? The only "solution" I've seen posted is to move monitor #2 to the left of #1... please tell me ED put a little more effort in to this game than that.

image.png

Edited by KillerCharlie

On 12/31/2022 at 8:34 PM, KillerCharlie said:

How do you prevent DCS from "covering up" unused monitors?

#1 is my primary display and #3/#4 are viewports only. Those work fine, but monitor #2 is blacked out - it's being used by DCS but nothing is being sent to it. I'd like to free it up to have non-DCS windows open.

Is there some way to do this? The only "solution" I've seen posted is to move monitor #2 to the left of #1... please tell me ED put a little more effort in to this game than that.

Maybe DCS is set for "full screen"?  No idea if that's even related to your problem.

You have no idea how useful this thread has been. I have my cougar MFD's working, and it was much easier than I anticipated. I have a couple of issues/questions if someone has time. As you can see in the pic the bezel of the cougars cuts off part of the screen on each side. What is the best way to correct this? I was going to just lower my resolution in the lua file but figured I better ask before I break something. The screens are 1280X720 currently.

Also, can I get rid of the task bar on the bottom of the MFD's? It is not showing on the main monitor. 

As a bonus question....I have the 23 inch touch screen to the right that I am not using for DCS. Any suggestion of what I could use it for if anything? Would love to put the map on it but wasn't sure if that was doable. 

Again. thanks a million for all the great info in this thread!20230108_110411.jpg

The MFD screens are square, so the output from DCS should be square and repositioned/scaled to fit the space inside the buttons.
IIRC, the resolution of the real ones is 600x600, but if 720x720 fits, that's what you use. 

As for the taskbars:  Right click on one and select taskbar settings.  There are options there to turn them off on multi-display setups.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bclinton said:

You have no idea how useful this thread has been. I have my cougar MFD's working, and it was much easier than I anticipated. I have a couple of issues/questions if someone has time. As you can see in the pic the bezel of the cougars cuts off part of the screen on each side. What is the best way to correct this? I was going to just lower my resolution in the lua file but figured I better ask before I break something. The screens are 1280X720 currently.

Also, can I get rid of the task bar on the bottom of the MFD's? It is not showing on the main monitor. 

As a bonus question....I have the 23 inch touch screen to the right that I am not using for DCS. Any suggestion of what I could use it for if anything? Would love to put the map on it but wasn't sure if that was doable. 

Again. thanks a million for all the great info in this thread!20230108_110411.jpg

Thanks for showing your appreciation, that makes writing the guide even more worthwhile. 👍

I use my "right" monitor to bring up the kneeboard, how to change the opening position is on the first page IIRC. Though it may break integrity check on servers with pure scripts set to on (not very many at the moment but hoggit is one of them)

Also if I'm using the NS430 GPS I'll drag into the right monitor and make it larger.

I also use the right monitor for the TEDAC screen in the Apache, the lower AMPCD from the F18, The EHSI from the F16, the shkval and abris from the ka-50, the TID from the F14 (RIO screen), as well as some other custom exported displays.

To set these up is the same as left and right mfcd but with additional entries called

TEDAC
CENTER_MFCD
EHSI
Shkval
ABRIS
F14_TID

eg

Spoiler

LEFT_MFCD =
{
x = 5130;
y = 360;
width = 825;
height = 825;
}

RIGHT_MFCD =
{
x = 6210;
y = 360;
width = 825;
height = 825;
}

CENTER_MFCD =
{
x = 2560;
y = 370;
width = 600;
height = 600;
}

EHSI =
{
x = 2560;
y = 370;
width = 600;
height = 600;
}

TEDAC =
{
x = 2560;
y = 360;
width = 1620;
height = 1400;
}

GU_MAIN_VIEWPORT = Viewports.Center
UIMainView = Viewports.Center

Edited by jonsky7
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, jonsky7 said:

... the TID from the F14 (RIO screen), as well as some other custom exported displays...

I did not know the TID was an option... mind blown... and when it gets back together, I'm off to mess up my entire DCS setup... Very cool... 🙂

Edited by Despayre

This might be a dumb question, and if it's covered somewhere in this thread and I just didn't see it, feel free to just tell me that... my question is:

Is there a list somewhere of all the possible screens that can be exported this way (preferably broken down by aircraft)?

51 minutes ago, jonsky7 said:

Thanks for showing your appreciation, that makes writing the guide even more worthwhile. 👍

I use my "right" monitor to bring up the kneeboard, how to change the opening position is on the first page IIRC. Though it may break integrity check on servers with pure scripts set to on (not very many at the moment but hoggit is one of them)

Also if I'm using the NS430 GPS I'll drag into the right monitor and make it larger.

I also use the right monitor for the TEDAC screen in the Apache, the lower AMPCD from the F18, The EHSI from the F16, the shkval and abris from the ka-50, the TID from the F14 (RIO screen), as well as some other custom exported displays.

To set these up is the same as left and right mfcd but with additional entries called

TEDAC
CENTER_MFCD
EHSI
Shkval
ABRIS
F14_TID

eg

Reveal hidden contents

LEFT_MFCD =
{
x = 5130;
y = 360;
width = 825;
height = 825;
}

RIGHT_MFCD =
{
x = 6210;
y = 360;
width = 825;
height = 825;
}

CENTER_MFCD =
{
x = 2560;
y = 370;
width = 600;
height = 600;
}

EHSI =
{
x = 2560;
y = 370;
width = 600;
height = 600;
}

TEDAC =
{
x = 2560;
y = 360;
width = 1620;
height = 1400;
}

GU_MAIN_VIEWPORT = Viewports.Center
UIMainView = Viewports.Center

I have spent the past month watching youtube videos on the subject and not until I found this thread did the bell go off. Using your example lua helped make it make sense....

2 hours ago, No1sonuk said:

The MFD screens are square, so the output from DCS should be square and repositioned/scaled to fit the space inside the buttons.
IIRC, the resolution of the real ones is 600x600, but if 720x720 fits, that's what you use. 

As for the taskbars:  Right click on one and select taskbar settings.  There are options there to turn them off on multi-display setups.

I have them at 1000X670 right now and it seems to be the sweet spot. It fills the screens and the buttons on the cougars line up pretty good. I had to jog the screens over about 100 pixels as well as down a little too. 

Edited by bclinton

On 1/8/2023 at 8:13 PM, Despayre said:

This might be a dumb question, and if it's covered somewhere in this thread and I just didn't see it, feel free to just tell me that... my question is:

Is there a list somewhere of all the possible screens that can be exported this way (preferably broken down by aircraft)?

I don't know of a definitive list, but that's not to say there isn't one.

Below is a list of at least all of the modules that I own that have exportable displays by default.

A-10C, A-10C_2
LEFT_MFCD, RIGHT_MFCD

AH64-D 
LEFT_MFCD, RIGHT_MFCD, TEDAC

AV8B
LEFT_MFCD, RIGHT_MFCD

F-16 
LEFT_MFCD, RIGHT_MFCD, EHSI

F14
F14_VDI,                   F14_HSD,                F14_TID,                  F14_DDD,               F14_ECMD,                                    F14_UHF_ARC159, F14_VHF_ARC182
Pilot upper display, Pilot lower display, RIO lower display, RIO upper display, RIO right display (by right knee), Radio Freq displays x2

F-18 
LEFT_MFCD, RIGHT_MFCD, CENTER_MFCD

F-5
RIGHT_MFCD

JF-17
JF17_LEFT_MFCD, JF17_RIGHT_MFCD, JF17_CENTER_MFCD, JF17_CLOCK_WIN1, JF17_CLOCK_WIN2, JF17_RADIO, JF17_UFCP_1, JF17_UFCP_2, JF17_UFCP_3, JF17_UFCP_4
or
LEFT_MFCD, RIGHT_MFCD, CENTER_MFCD, CLOCK_WIN1, CLOCK_WIN2, RADIO, UFCP_1, UFCP_2, UFCP_3, UFCP_4
(if you have JF17_LEFT_MFCD defined in your config file, the LEFT MFCD of the JEFF will be displayed in that position, otherwise it will be shown in the LEFT_MFCD position.
The upper line here takes priority over the lower line, this enables you to have the display export a different size or location to the LEFT_MFCD position, helpful because the JEFF screens are not square.)

Ka-50 and Ka-50_3
Shkval, ABRIS
or
LEFT_MFCD, RIGHT_MFCD
(again, if you define ABRIS in your config file, the ABRIS will be shown in that position, otherwise it will be displayed in the RIGHT_MFCD position.)

M-2000C
VTB displays in RIGHT_MFCD position

FC3
LEFT_MFCD, RIGHT_MFCD (can not be changed)

Want to export any other digital display? See

Note or hint
If you have notepad++, you can use the Search - Find in files tool. Have notepad++
search for -  try_find_assigned_viewport
filters - *.lua
Directory - DCS world/Mods/Aircraft

Edited by jonsky7
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, jonsky7 said:

I don't know of a definitive list, but that's not to say there isn't one.

Below is a list of at least all of the modules that I own that have exportable displays by default.

**snip**

That's great info! Thanks.

Also, I ran that little tip you left at the end, and here's the additional one I came up with:

F5 - RIGHT_MFCD

Also 

F14 - ECMD ( but I think you just typoed above)

• Like 1

Hello, 

I have configured export for Apache TEDAC.

My config is 1 monitor + 1 android tablet connected trough spacedesk app. The tablet is set at the top right of the monitor in display settings.

My monitor is 2560*1440 and tablet 1280*800

I have set 3840*1440 in DCS Resolution setting.

When I play the game everything is fine, I have the main screen on my monitor and the TEDAC on the tablet.

But the issue is on the maim welcome screen of DCS (so when not playing) because it is extended to my tablet screen which I don't want and is also anyway an issue since the tablet screen height is smaller than monitor only part of the top menu is accessible.

Any idea ...  ? Thank you.

Here is my screen lua :

_  = function(p) return p; end;
name = _('Apache1');
Description = 'One monitor configuration+tablet'
Viewports =
{
     Center =
     {
          x = 0;
          y = 0;
          width = 2560;
          height = 1440;
          viewDx = 0;
          viewDy = 0;
          aspect = 2560/1440;
     }
}     

TEDAC =
{
    x = 2561;
    y = 0;
    width = 768;
    height = 768;
}

UIMainview = 
{
x = 0;
y = 0;
width = 2560;
height = 1440;
}

GU_MAIN_VIEWPORT =
{
x = 0;
y = 0;
width = 2560;
height = 1440;
}

--UIMainview = Viewports.Center

54 minutes ago, CervO said:

Hello, 

I have configured export for Apache TEDAC.

My config is 1 monitor + 1 android tablet connected trough spacedesk app. The tablet is set at the top right of the monitor in display settings.

My monitor is 2560*1440 and tablet 1280*800

I have set 3840*1440 in DCS Resolution setting.

When I play the game everything is fine, I have the main screen on my monitor and the TEDAC on the tablet.

But the issue is on the maim welcome screen of DCS (so when not playing) because it is extended to my tablet screen which I don't want and is also anyway an issue since the tablet screen height is smaller than monitor only part of the top menu is accessible.

Any idea ...  ? Thank you.

Here is my screen lua :

_  = function(p) return p; end;
name = _('Apache1');
Description = 'One monitor configuration+tablet'
Viewports =
{
     Center =
     {
          x = 0;
          y = 0;
          width = 2560;
          height = 1440;
          viewDx = 0;
          viewDy = 0;
          aspect = 2560/1440;
     }
}     

TEDAC =
{
    x = 2561;
    y = 0;
    width = 768;
    height = 768;
}

UIMainview = 
{
x = 0;
y = 0;
width = 2560;
height = 1440;
}

GU_MAIN_VIEWPORT =
{
x = 0;
y = 0;
width = 2560;
height = 1440;
}

--UIMainview = Viewports.Center

I think you need a capital V in mainview

UIMainView 
{
x = 0;
y = 0;
width = 2560;
height = 1440;
}

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am a little confused.  What is the latest method to put the kneeboard on a 3rd screen?

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

21 hours ago, sobe said:

I am a little confused.  What is the latest method to put the kneeboard on a 3rd screen?

The kneeboard by default opens in the bottom right corner of your game resolution. The game resolution is described in step 2 of the guide on the first page. The green rectangle around the screens in the example images.

If your 3rd screen is the bottom right corner, you shouldn't need to do anything to have the kneeboard open there.

If you want to alter the position the kneeboard opens in, then The kneeboard mod described on page 1 still works as of current open.beta, though it may fail integrity check on servers with pure scripts required. I don't play on those servers as I have many display export mods which also fail pure scripts.

There's a neat little tool at the end of step 3 that can be used to find position and size.

Once you have the numbers, the part of the kneeboard mod guide you need is

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go back to 
DCS World\Scripts\Aircrafts\_Common\Cockpit\
and open the file
ViewportHandling-resize.lua

This is where will configure where we want the kneeboard to open.
Line 33 says 
    dedicated_viewport = {0,0,default_width,default_height}

This is already modified and will open the kneeboard on the top left
You can however replace all the text with numbers, eg:

dedicated_viewport = {1000,360,600,800}

You would put the numbers in line 33 so it would look something like

dedicated_viewport = {4340, 0, 600, 800}

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you'd like more help then it would be best if you include a screenshot of your display setup from windows display manager. Include the resolutions of your monitors. Say where you'd like the kneeboard to open.

Regards

Jon

Edited by jonsky7

21 hours ago, jonsky7 said:

The kneeboard by default opens in the bottom right corner of your game resolution. The game resolution is described in step 2 of the guide on the first page. The green rectangle around the screens in the example images.

If your 3rd screen is the bottom right corner, you shouldn't need to do anything to have the kneeboard open there.

If you want to alter the position the kneeboard opens in, then The kneeboard mod described on page 1 still works as of current open.beta, though it may fail integrity check on servers with pure scripts required. I don't play on those servers as I have many display export mods which also fail pure scripts.

There's a neat little tool at the end of step 3 that can be used to find position and size.

Once you have the numbers, the part of the kneeboard mod guide you need is

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go back to 
DCS World\Scripts\Aircrafts\_Common\Cockpit\
and open the file
ViewportHandling-resize.lua

This is where will configure where we want the kneeboard to open.
Line 33 says 

This is already modified and will open the kneeboard on the top left
You can however replace all the text with numbers, eg:

dedicated_viewport = {1000,360,600,800}

You would put the numbers in line 33 so it would look something like

dedicated_viewport = {4340, 0, 600, 800}

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you'd like more help then it would be best if you include a screenshot of your display setup from windows display manager. Include the resolutions of your monitors. Say where you'd like the kneeboard to open.

Regards

Jon

I'm pretty sure you can't use that zip file posted on page 1 in your guide anymore. I think There is mismatch in those luas. Probably a newer version was added to the game.  

I'd make sure people are using the copy and edit method rather than just copying those edits from that zip.

Jonsky7 changed the kb files on page 2 on jan 11th to update for some DCS changes. 

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

20 hours ago, JIGGAwest said:

I'm pretty sure you can't use that zip file posted on page 1 in your guide anymore. I think There is mismatch in those luas. Probably a newer version was added to the game.  

I'd make sure people are using the copy and edit method rather than just copying those edits from that zip.

I've just checked the files in the download, and they are exactly the same as the ones I'm currently using. It works for all aircraft except RAZBAM's at the moment, they aren't using the default kneeboard.

The only difference is the position I use is not 
Line 33 says 

and that's only because as that edit stands, the kneeboard would open in the top left of the main monitor (or game resolution) at the default size.

Mine says
dedicated_viewport = {3750,0,1000,1440}

Which opens on the right hand side-ish of my second large monitor, aligned at the top of the monitor, and it is 1000 pixels in width, and 1440 pixels tall.

Just be aware, the mod  DOES NOT REPLACE any files, it adds them.