F-86 Encyclopedia

Cheap_Trick
Go to solution Solved by Cheap_Trick,

Greetings to All:

I made a few edits to the F86 Sabre description text file found in my directory as follows:

C:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World 1.5\CoreMods\aircraft\F-86\Encyclopedia\Plane

Now I notice that the F-86 is no longer among the list of aircraft to be found in the Encyclopedia section of the program.

If this is a case of edited description text files for the encyclopedia result in listing elimination, can anyone provide me with the oem description text, since it never dawned on me to make a copy of a simple description text file.  

Call it age...Call it user ignorance...user stupidity...etc

Can I get some help here.

Many Thanks for your attention- Eddy

F-86F

f-86f
f-86f sabre

Name: F-86F "Sabre"
Type: Fighter
Crew: 1
Length: 11.43 m
Wing span: 11.913 m
Height: 4.5 m
Wing area: 29.11 m2
Weight empty: 5046 kg
Normal weight: 6883 kg
Maximum weight: 9348 kg
Maximum internal fuel: 1282 kg
Maximum Mach at height: 0.49
Maximum Mach at S/L: 0.93
Service ceiling: 15850 m
Maximum range: 2584 km
G limit: 7.0
Lift-to-drag ratio: 15.1
Thrust/weight: 0.38

Armament: 
 - 6 x 0.5 in (12.7 mm) M3 Browning machine guns
 - Up to 16 HVAR rockets
 - Up to 2 bombs

The North American F-86 Sabre (sometimes called the Sabrejet) was a transonic jet fighter aircraft. Produced by North American Aviation, the Sabre is best known as the United States' first swept wing fighter which could counter the similarly-winged Soviet MiG-15 in high-speed dogfights over the skies of the Korean War. Considered one of the best and most important fighter aircraft in the Korean War, the F-86 is also rated highly in comparison with fighters of other eras. Although it was developed in the late 1940s and was outdated by the end of the 1950s, the Sabre proved versatile and adaptable, and continued as a front-line fighter in numerous air forces until the last active operational examples were retired by the Bolivian Air Force in 1994.

F-86F has upgraded engine and larger "6–3" wing without leading edge slats, 2,239 built. Sabre Fs had much improved high-speed agility, coupled with a higher landing speed of over 145 mph (233 km/h). The F-35 block had provisions for a new task: the nuclear tactical attack with one of the new small "nukes" ("second generation" nuclear ordnance). Later, was installed a set of pylons to carry the GAR-8 (AIM-9B) Sidewinder air-to-air missile.

This is the content of the file, as it is in 2.5.6 version of DCS. No idea if it's the same in 1.5 you seem to be using, judging from the folder name, but give it a try.

Otherwise, I think you might still use repair command (I don't remember it it was a thing back in 1.5.x era) to revert the file to stock version.

Edit: possibility number two - your edits were OK, but you made them using windows Notepad - the text format got messed up while saving and now the game doesn't recognize the file. NEVER edit any text files in DCS with standard Notepad. ALWAYS use only these apps which leave the text format intact, exactly as seen above. The 3rd party app called "Notepad ++" is recommended for this purpose, and it's free.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• Solution

Using your text, I was able to copy/paste into Notepad++ and it worked.    I'll remind myself to keep Note++ in my mind if the urge to edit strikes again...  Thanks for pointing this out. 

Edited by Cheap_Trick