Multiplayer - What the heck?

Caldera

Hey All,

This is going to sound like some kind of whining.  You all know, and I know that whining is not allowed.  So this is not whining.

I need some advice...

I have been trying multiplayer and failing miserably.  You know, the proverbial crash and burn, and burn some more, and then a whole training squadron of seagulls over flight dropping biological ordinance on target (which is me). 

The biggest single problem I face it seems is picking the right server to play on.

Problem 1:  Seems like there are 17,000 servers to choose from, with 16,983 of them having only one player in attendance. For some reason these ones seem like a bad choice to me.

Problem 2:  SRS seems really cool at times when it actually works.  At other times it works like one of two these things.  One thing is a radio station that plays music from a time period that is not the type of music that I might enjoy.  The other thing is like the audio from some kind of covert operation spying on Mom and the kids during diaper changing time.

Problem 3:  This problem is off the chart annoying.  Let me demonstrate-->

Dodge 2-1 Sochi Tower request start-up

Sochi Tower Dodge 2-1 NO!

Dodge 2-1 Sochi Tower OK I will standby

Dodge 2-1 Sochi Tower OK    10-4   Copy    Roger Wilco    I GOT IT!

Sochi Tower Dodge 2-1 NO! Sochi Tower Dodge 2-1 NO Sochi Tower Dodge 2-1 NO! Sochi Tower Dodge 2-1 NO! Sochi Tower Dodge 2-1 NO!

Sochi Tower Dodge 2-1 NO! Sochi Tower Dodge 2-1 NO Sochi Tower Dodge 2-1 NO! Sochi Tower Dodge 2-1 NO! Sochi Tower Dodge 2-1 NO!

ARGH!!!!!!

Sochi Tower Wolfpack 1-1 NO!

etc...

etc...

etc...

Problem 4:  Running over a pilot tied to a parachute that should not be sleeping on the taxi way in the first place.

Problem 5:  Getting buzzed by an F-14 traveling at warp 3 then crashing into a row of helicopters while trying to deploy photon torpedoes at a stealthed Klingon warship.  My guess, the pilot probably just got done talking to the Sochi ATC.  Hmm, maybe I should learn how to fly the F-14...

Problem 6:  Getting rear ended by an F-5 while parked short of the run way waiting to get clearance for take off after violating NO! do not start-up order and NO! do not taxi order.  Let me demonstrate-->

Dodge 2-1 Sochi Tower request take off runway 04

Dodge 2-1 Sochi Tower OK I will standby

F-10 view - In  preparation for take off in violation of the NO! do not take off order - Tally flight of seagulls...

CRASH! 

Problem 7:  My RWR works extremely well, maybe too good.

• In the HAS --> Nails 29 Lock-up
  • On the taxi way --> Nails 29 Lock-up
  • On the run way --> Nails 29 Lock-up
  • Wheels up --> Nails 29 Lock-up
  • Target vector --> Nails 29 Lock-up
  • There are no Nails 29 with in 80 nm --> Nails 29 Lock-up
  • There are 17 other friendly aircraft between me and the existing Nails 29 --> Nails 29 Lock-up
  • Engine failure due to seagull impact --> Nails 29 Lock-up

Problem 8:  My RWR is so confused with all the radar signals it detects. There are 29 friendlies. There are 29 hostiles.  There are 21 friendlies. There are 21 hostiles.  There are 14 friendlies. There are 14 hostiles.  There are 18 friendlies. There are 18 hostiles.  HELMET on FIRE!

Venting through poop air separator is complete.  Do have a nice day!

Caldera

Edited by Caldera
  • Like 1

Some advice. 

1: you are correct, many of those servers are squadron owned and open to only members. You can sort the servers with a few options at the top of the server list to help you find populated servers, servers that don't require passwords etc. Make sure you read the server descriptions to see what they are all about.

2: SRS has a server side application that has to run for it to work. Not all servers require this, but many have people actively using it. You have to tune the radio to the correct frequencies to use it, most servers that run SRS have a frequency list in the briefing or server description that tell you where to tune. 

3: No one and I mean NO ONE, listens to the default ATC in multiplayer in DCS. No point in even trying to use it to start up, taxi, or takeoff. Too many moving parts for the system to keep up and many servers are running custom scripts that garble everything up. Ignore it and save yourself some frustration. This is where SRS comes in and most people who use it will announce their intentions on the proper frequency (not universal, still plenty of aircraft that will do whatever they want) Keep your head on a swivel. Think of it as operating at a non towered airport. 

4: That is a DCS limitation, can't be solved by the server owners unless they know how to script.

5: Welcome to any multiplayer game anywhere 🙂.

6: See number 3

7: See number 4

8: Many servers have all aircraft available to both red and blue sides. This is done in the name of "fairness and balance for the enjoyment of all". Everything is fair and balanced in war after all 😉. Many in the Multiplayer community hold the server owners hostage over this. If they want a populated server to account for the cost of operating them they have to be fair. (not all servers are this way).

Some of the issues you described are exactly why I stopped flying multiplayer against other users in DCS. 

Some fun servers:

Hoggit servers for cooperative multiplayer against AI

104th Phoenix for competitive PVP. If you ever see the term "air quake" used in a post; this is where the term originated from. 

Just Dogfight (pretty self explanatory)

Growling sidewinder (pretty much same as above with some BVR mixed in)

There are a few others that are popular too. 

Thanks Guys,

I played tonight on the Hoggit Training server and it was a much better experience.  The difficulty was easy so it was a good start.

A few things still weird.

• No one really talked on SRS and most were using the AI ATC who kept things under control.  One person one time did answer my radio check.
  • My head position got relocated.  I left the server and came back and it was restored to my custom settings.
  • Whenever I would shoot a missile the view would auto change to the F6 view.  That was was pretty disorientating.  True for AGM-65 or APKWS.

zbiegu,

I do not remember and for the life of me I can not find any server numbers.  It was one of the "Through the Inferno" PVE servers.

Caldera

I can also recommend the Buddyspike BlueFlag servers, which usually offer a more coherent and mature experience than most servers and run dynamic multiplayer campaigns which can be followed in realtime here (click on "map" in the upper left corner to see the campaign status of the other BlueFlag servers): http://gadget.buddyspike.net/

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

If you want popular, old school,  hardcore experience you can't go wrong with Alpenwolf's Cold War 1947-1991 server. It's set around F5 vs Mig21 fights, sides are asymmetric NATO vs Warsaw Pact (+ middle east allies + Sweden 😉), mostly rear aspect IR missiles,  limited inventory (airframes and weapons can run out), No artificial nav support (only on board systems or landmarks to navigate),  GCI support, ground warfare support,  helo  support (they can set up sams, reinforce ground forces), some missions have bonus objectives which would unlock limited numbers of F14A and MiG29A.

Keep in mind SRS is mandatory. 

• Like 1