2.7 VR changes we noticed

Pikey

I just wanted to brain dump some of the things we found that weren't mentioned so far from a perspective of someone that's used clouds for several weeks now.

Pixel Density and Steam Super Sampling. We found PD was much better behaved than before and low PD also exacerbated some aliasing on clouds even worse than before. I recommend everyone try going back to PD1.0 and if they have SSS to zero that also and  repeat their normal tuning, the performance is much better than it was so you should reevaluate it on your systems.

Mask. Didnt notice any benefit or even if this works yet.

View Distance. Mixed bag. On one hand you dont see the horizon with all those new clouds. And the object culling distance seems to be relaxed from a few patches back . OTOH i think there could be weirdness looking at a distant horizon and having multi layered clouds very close by. If the latter is not a factor for you, reduce your view distance for better frames and less jerkiness when looking in the direction of distant terrain. Likely with the clouds you might not even see the horizon. With the night time lighting conencted to view distance, you need to check if you are flying about near big lit cities. A city like Damascus can beign to cull lights half way through, leading to unpleasant views, if the view distance is too small. Runway lights cull at different distances to city lights

Scenery details factor. This new slider principally affected objects on the terrain so that they appeared to be like a distant model. Like a LOD1. I recall testing Chain home radar antennaes on Channel Map with this because you can change it in cockpit in realtime. It made the object feel like it was from the 90's. However this visibly gave an FPS boost in the 5-7 FPS range when I tried. If you arent flying low, use it.

Forrest detail. This has been renamed from tree visibility and put next to Forest Detail Factor, no changes to what it does, makes the trees thin out. For Forrest details factor I didnt notice any changes and not sure what it does.

Gentle reminder to those people who are time limited - every new object you see after this update will recompile its shader in realtime, which really makes the sim jittery at first. Try to run a range of missions first and be patient. 😉 Some folks are faster to the forums with this observation than they need to be 🙂

General. I think the frustrum culling has finally been baked into DCS VR but every time I ask its not well known. There are quite a few items that can represent differently in each eye on the terrain. The clouds issue, well, its well explained, nothing more to say there. The overal speed i believe is actually faster for my machine, but I've spent far too much time in testing scenerios to really tell anymore, its just a feeling. I did handle 45 FPS locked in VR on a simple flight yesterday which is on my own server which has over 800 units and a fair amount of scripting, and this was including at ground level, which previously was pretty harsh on the frames, so I think its a big upgrade. YMMV.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

6 hours ago, Pikey said:

Scenery details factor. This new slider principally affected objects on the terrain so that they appeared to be like a distant model. Like a LOD1. I recall testing Chain home radar antennaes on Channel Map with this because you can change it in cockpit in realtime. It made the object feel like it was from the 90's. However this visibly gave an FPS boost in the 5-7 FPS range when I tried. If you arent flying low, use it.

gold!

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

What is the default gamma rating? I'd like to revert back to default and start from there.

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

14 minutes ago, Lurker said:

What is the default gamma rating? I'd like to revert back to default and start from there.

If I remember correctly default gamma is 2.2

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 3080 TUF OC 10Gb * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

I should have mentioned gamma. The lighting is still in change with DCS and its been back and forth. There are a couple of lighting bugs still being tuned, don't fix on anything - luckily can change gamma in options in the cockpit 🙂 Gamma needs a bit up at night.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

19 hours ago, Pikey said:

Forrest detail. This has been renamed from tree visibility and put next to Forest Detail Factor, no changes to what it does, makes the trees thin out. For Forrest details factor I didnt notice any changes and not sure what it does.

forest detail seems to be a lod slider for trees...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

it seems to provide you some additional frames in edge cases, like NOE and looking at trees, scenarios... its useful, i have dropped mine to 0.6 same with scenery 

whats View Distance though ? do you mean visbility range ? 

So far I've noticed slightly less shimmering by just using in-game PD instead of using Steam Super Sampling or Oculus Tray Tool. No noticable slowdowns compared to third party software. So, thanks for the tip! I'm currently at 1.6 PD, and 1.0 in OCT in 2.7. I used to be 1.6 in OCT and 1.0 PD in 2.5.

Edited by Lurker

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick.