Severe stuttering in VR in 2.7 Beta

MagicSlave

Hi,

I started playing this campaign after the newest DCS update came, and the first mission played totally smoothly until I landed. Sometime after touchdown at Nellis AFB at the end of the mission the FPS dropped severely and stuttering began so bad that it was hard to taxi. When I started mission 2 on the ramp, performance was flawless at first, but then the FPS dropped and stuttering began as bad as the first mission. Then, after some AI soldiers had finished running across the nose of my jet and Chinook helo had flown over, the stuttering went away again and performance was very good. Then, when my AI wingman in the F-5 started up, the stuttering and poor FPS came back. It was very hard to taxi and take-off because of the stuttering, but I managed that and also to join up but the poor FPS and severe stuttering persisted during the flight out at the range. 

Unfortunately, the game crashed to desktop before I could save the track. Attached is the dcs log file.

Otherwise the 2.7 has run pretty perfectly for me even in the F-14A and crowded deck of Supercarrier.

My specs:

i7-8700K at stock clock

32 GB RAM

ASUS ROG TUF 3080 OC

Valve Index

DCS installed on 1TB M.2 SSD

dcs.log

On 4/20/2021 at 6:27 PM, Reflected said:

Hi,

thanks for the report. Unfortunately stuttering and such performance problems cannot be solved from within the mission editor. ED is currently working hard to get 2.7 running smooth. I know some people are having issues. 

Thanks for taking the time to answer. I understand, this performance issue is out of your hands.

Just a little update for others who may have similar issues: Today I tweaked some settings, and noticed that lowering the draw distance / texture detail and/or terrain texture detail removed the stuttering and improved performance drastically. I ended up with setting texture detail to medium (not a huge drop in quality in VR), terrain textures to low and draw distance to high, which resulted in pretty good performance. My theory is that the stuttering was caused by VRAM getting full? I base this on the observation that the stuttering / FPS drop is an on-off kind of thing, where the performance drops suddenly and drastically when there are lot of objects on screen and lot of units moving around near the player aircraft.

My other graphics settings:

I guess it's RAM...once you get it full you get stutters...or something like that. I think you could get away with textures= high (not terrain!), if you changed visibility range to medium or low (big fps boost!), and lowered the preload radius to, say, half of what you have. Also, clouds = Standard will give you 5-6 more FPS for not much quality loss. You can increase anisotropic filtering, that doesn't cost anything.

On 4/22/2021 at 3:57 AM, Reflected said:

I guess it's RAM...once you get it full you get stutters...or something like that. I think you could get away with textures= high (not terrain!), if you changed visibility range to medium or low (big fps boost!), and lowered the preload radius to, say, half of what you have. Also, clouds = Standard will give you 5-6 more FPS for not much quality loss. You can increase anisotropic filtering, that doesn't cost anything.

Thanks for the tips! These settings seem to work very well. FPS still takes a dip at the end of the missions when / after landing, because there are so many aircraft and other objects on the parking areas, but it is not unplayable. Just finished the third mission. Enjoying the campaign very much so far! It is so cool to hear Bio's voice in the briefings, having read his books and watched his interviews! I really like the feeling of authenticity and immersion.

• Like 1