Track IR messing up aim

LTRMcrew

When using track ir what is the correct way to then use CA for aim? Currently when i jump in a tank and in gunner view track ir moves the aiming reticle but not the gun (mouse moves gun) so aim is way off. How to turn off track ir prior to or reset the aiming reticle so the gun is pointing to where the reticle is? I don't need track ir on when gunning, but i do want to use the mouse to aim.

You can also center the Track IR cursor (as displayed in the track ir program interface).   Setting a sufficiently large central deadzone can make this easier.   Target lock in Combined Arms can also somewhat compensate, but TrackIR cursor has to be close to centered before targets can be locked.   It's difficult and annoying though, so just pausing TrackIR, default is F9 I think, while shooting is the easiest workaround.

• Like 1

Callsign "Auger". It could mean to predict the future or a tool for boring large holes.

I combine the two by predictably boring large holes in the ground with my plane.

• 3 years later...

Admittedly, it's my first minutes in CA, but - similar to door gunners in UH-1H - TrackIR doesn't make any sense at all. Actually, UH-1H offers a few options what trackIR does, here it only makes things worse. It moves the circle which is supposed to be used for aiming - but the rockets go for the "centered" position. So far I didn't figure out what is the binding (if any) to toggle aiming mode with/without TrackIR. It's puzzling that they create a product that works absolutely counter-intuitively. TrackIR messing things up, various views being toggles (I have to toggle from one to be able to use another)... Everything is different from planes, like made on purpouse super hard.

Of course, I'll give it another read of the manual (which isn't that long, luckily), but I definitely didn't get it the first time. But the TrackIR on top of it... it's unusable mess with it. It doesn't aim, it only makes your aim harder. It does move some reticles, but not the actual aim... very, very frustrating experience.

And of course, one has to go to the Controls to disable the TrackIR, as there is still no simple UI Layer global bind for it. 😞

Edited by virgo47
  • Like 1

✈️ L-39, F-5E, F/A-18C, MiG-15, F-86F, C-101, FC2024 🛩️ Yak-52, P-47, Spitfire 🚁 UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50 III 🗺️ NTTR, PG, SY, Chnl, Norm2 📦 Supercarrier, NS430, WWII, CA 🕹️ VKB STECS+Gladiator/Kosmosima+TPR ▶️ DCS Unscripted YouTube 🐛 "Favourite" bugs: 1) gates not growing regress, 2) L-39 target size cockpit animation regress, 3) Yak-52 toggles not toggling, 4) all Caucasus ATC bugs

Admittedly, it's my first minutes in CA, but - similar to door gunners in UH-1H - TrackIR doesn't make any sense at all. Actually, UH-1H offers a few options what trackIR does, here it only makes things worse. It moves the circle which is supposed to be used for aiming - but the rockets go for the "centered" position. So far I didn't figure out what is the binding (if any) to toggle aiming mode with/without TrackIR. It's puzzling that they create a product that works absolutely counter-intuitively. TrackIR messing things up, various views being toggles (I have to toggle from one to be able to use another)... Everything is different from planes, like made on purpouse super hard.
Of course, I'll give it another read of the manual (which isn't that long, luckily), but I definitely didn't get it the first time. But the TrackIR on top of it... it's unusable mess with it. It doesn't aim, it only makes your aim harder. It does move some reticles, but not the actual aim... very, very frustrating experience.
And of course, one has to go to the Controls to disable the TrackIR, as there is still no simple UI Layer global bind for it.
Just use the native TrackIR button for pausing? I do that with OpenTrack. Don't use any ingame TrackIR options at all.
Cheers!

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

Just use the native TrackIR button for pausing? I do that with OpenTrack. Don't use any ingame TrackIR options at all.

I'm already using Toggle in opentrack, works fine for some cases, today I also bound Toggle track - this also recenters the tracking. Thanks for the tip to review these options again.

However:

• Toggling tracking in DCS would have a great benefit, as it would also re-enable view moving actions, which are stuck with TrackIR enabled in DCS. And yes, there are good use cases for that.
  • It is just a workaround - clearly a necessary one. CA with TrackIR is still essentially broken when aiming reticle for a TOW rocket visually moves, but rocket goes somewhere else.

I'll first spend some more time with CA before I start reporting any bugs (if not reported already). I found a few suspects within minutes, mostly related to controls.

Edited by virgo47

✈️ L-39, F-5E, F/A-18C, MiG-15, F-86F, C-101, FC2024 🛩️ Yak-52, P-47, Spitfire 🚁 UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50 III 🗺️ NTTR, PG, SY, Chnl, Norm2 📦 Supercarrier, NS430, WWII, CA 🕹️ VKB STECS+Gladiator/Kosmosima+TPR ▶️ DCS Unscripted YouTube 🐛 "Favourite" bugs: 1) gates not growing regress, 2) L-39 target size cockpit animation regress, 3) Yak-52 toggles not toggling, 4) all Caucasus ATC bugs

I'm already using Toggle in opentrack, works fine for some cases, today I also bound Toggle track - this also recenters the tracking. Thanks for the tip to review these options again.
However:
  • Toggling tracking in DCS would have a great benefit, as it would also re-enable view moving actions, which are stuck with TrackIR enabled in DCS. And yes, there are good use cases for that.
  • It is just a workaround - clearly a necessary one. CA with TrackIR is still essentially broken when aiming reticle for a TOW rocket visually moves, but rocket goes somewhere else.
I'll first spend some more time with CA before I start reporting any bugs (if not reported already). I found a few suspects within minutes, mostly related to controls.
Ah, I see. Unfortunately, I haven't had the time to use the CA module for ages. I have probably less than five hours in it.
Quick, I can't remember, but I would assume you have controls for driving the vehicle, then look around with TrackIR and finally aim with the mouse. It doesn't work like this? No wonder I don't use it.
Cheers!

1 minute ago, MAXsenna said:

Ah, I see. Unfortunately, I haven't had the time to use the CA module for ages. I have probably less than five hours in it.
Quick, I can't remember, but I would assume you have controls for driving the vehicle, then look around with TrackIR and finally aim with the mouse. It doesn't work like this? No wonder I don't use it.

I haven't ironed out my experience yet, but... Yes, you can drive the vehicle, that's the easy part. You can look around with a mouse - or TrackIR (which messes up with aiming and I'd avoid it for CA). You can even bind turret-turning to the joystick! But in the outside view (called Isometric view) the mouse and arrow keys (turret elevation/rotate key actions) work fine - but the joystick (turret axes) doesn't for whatever reason.

Yes, you can use binocular view to add some smoke and laze/IR mark stuff - this is the cool part - and probably much more. But the inconsistency in basic controls and view switching is rather staggering.

• Like 1

I haven't ironed out my experience yet, but... Yes, you can drive the vehicle, that's the easy part. You can look around with a mouse - or TrackIR (which messes up with aiming and I'd avoid it for CA). You can even bind turret-turning to the joystick! But in the outside view (called Isometric view) the mouse and arrow keys (turret elevation/rotate key actions) work fine - but the joystick (turret axes) doesn't for whatever reason.
Yes, you can use binocular view to add some smoke and laze/IR mark stuff - this is the cool part - and probably much more. But the inconsistency in basic controls and view switching is rather staggering.
Thanks!