Need help with processor.

I know that Quad Processors are faster then Duo Processors but cense FC and BS engine doesn’t support multicore processors, I don’t know what to choose. Can that be that Core 2 Duo E8500 with 3.16 GHz would be faster for FC and BS, than Core 2 Quad Q9450 with 2.66 GHz?

What would be better for FC and BS: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 or Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E8500?

Here are the Compare Specifications from Intel:

http://compare.intel.com/pcc/showchart.aspx?mmID=33882,33870&familyID=1&culture=en-US

I heard some guys here saying that there is no need for Core 2 Quad and that Core 2 Duo would be enough, but sense there is not a big difference in price ($60) maybe I should take Quad?

Personally, I chose the E8500. I'm putting together a new comp and it's sole purpose is to play flight sims now. Maybe when the price of faster (3 ghz) quad cores drops, I'll upgrade, but for now Ill stick with the 3.16ghz the 8500 offers. I may also try my hand at OC'ing.

I also decided on eVGA 750i FTW mobo, and an eVGA GFX 260 core 216 GPU. hopefully I wont have to replace everything in 12 months...(!!)

considering that BS isnt a muti core app, it doesnt really matter which one you get. Some games out there do support multi core apps like WiC (supports quad core) and Call of Duty 4 (supports core 2 duo). Personally, I would go with a Quad Q9450...they can overclock easily enough to 3.16, but if your looking for speed, your Core 2 Duo might be enough, and cheaper too. It really all comes down to what you want to do with your computer. I dont have to wait on apps to run, I can run Adobe Photoshop, Windows Media Player, play LOMAC in window mode, and get decent framerates in game, believe it or not. Personally, I would go with a Q9550 for MY rig, and Im thinking of upgrading my Q6600 to just that. The E8500 is old tech.

2007 technology...constitutes as old tech. Its almost 2009, and seems like every 2 years or so, processors either double in speed or capacity. Intels coming out with new technology very shortly...*cough*nehalem*cough cough*******

Edited by hitman

DCS will be multicore eventualy, if you upgrade frequently then go E8600, if you make it last 4-5 years you might want to go 4 or more cores. The Q9450 has been descontinued. Consider at Q9550 or nehalem sometime in the future, but wait for gaming benchies first, it might not be what we are expecting it to be.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Nehalems will need new MOBOs unfortunatly. You might want to skip this frist generation. This architecture will have multiple revisions through 2009.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

yeah, now that you mention it, I'll probably stick with my new mobo for two years at least anyway, then start shopping again...

as for the OP, your decision should be based on what you will be using the CPU for...

-for playing FC and BlackShark, possibly some other games- E8500/8600 is fine right now, most games dont use more than 1 or 2 cores.

Will you be keeping this CPU for a long time, or will you replace it next year? Maybe go with the duo now, and upgrade in a year or two when quads are lower in price.

Its up to you, and i dont think you'll be dissapointed either way!

Thank you for your responds and answers guys, now it is clearer to me. I will probably go with E8500, it is cheaper and there is no really need for Quad now, since FC and BS doesn't support multicore.

Edited by volk-19