Tobii5 and mouse look

Hello pilots,

Sorry if the question is answered but with countless of google search on this forum I did not find my answer.
I'm using a Tobii 5 for head/eye tracking. No problem it's working great. Virpils joysticks for flying, same here, nothing to say.

But, what is supposed to be my mouse look (atl-c) is bind to "moving your ass on the seat".

I tried many options but as always almost all mouse options are greyed out from default config (steam or not steam 2.7 beta version)

What I want to achieve is :

- Using head tracking when taxing/flying (enable/disable via keyboard)

- Using mouse view (x/y axis and mouse wheel zoom) when headtracking is disabled.

I do that in X-Plane or MSFS but I can't find a proper config to achieve it in DCS.

The idea is, when I'm doing checklists I want a steady camera on the instrument I'm looking at. So I can turn my head to look at another screen and still have my instrument in full frame in the cockpit.

Head tracking is nice, but not so much for precise inputs or let's say, INS coordinate typing.

So, how can I use x/y/z mouse axis for looking around (and not strafing my head left/right up/down) when head tracking is off ?

BTW, the bird is a M2000 but I don't think it's her fault, she's a beauty.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the other shitposting in probably the wrong forum.

Fly safe

• 2 months later...

Same problem here. When tracking was enabled once via Tobii Game Hub (DCS install dir located inside the app and tracking toggled) mouse look no longer works even when tracking is toggled off.

The reason is HeadTracker.dll inside DCS' bin folder. Tobii copies the file there to enable tracking. Unfortunately once this DLL is present, you can no longer use the mouse to look around.

You have to remove the DLL to get mouse look back.

If sent the Tobii support a detailed bug report and they were able to reproduce it. It's been forwarded inside the company.

FWIW the same bug is present in Elite Dangerous while inside the cockpit. Also headlook bound to an axis no longer works, even when tracking is disabled. The "fix" for Elite is to simply quit Tobii Game Hub (not a real solution). Strangely enough while on foot on Elite you can use the mouse to look around and turn your avatar while also using tracking to look around. So it is possible to use both at the same time.

I hope Tobii fixes this issue, sometime you just want to disable tracking for a minute and use the mouse instead.

PS: Maybe send a bug report to Tobii to make this bug more visible inside the company.

Edited by Isaac Heron
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

The reason is HeadTracker.dll inside DCS' bin folder. Tobii copies the file there to enable tracking. Unfortunately once this DLL is present, you can no longer use the mouse to look around.

This is quite late, but your post is new to me.  I just wanted to say thanks for mentioning this.  It's not the problem I was having, but it triggered my brain into realizing that Tobii Eye needs that .dll in that directory to function.

The problem I was having is that Tobii Eye was working ok in my standalone DCS Open Beta, but not in the Steam Open Beta, so I copied that .dll to the corresponding Steam directory and voila - it works!  Very cool!

I'm sort of migrating over to the Steam version, assuming it performs ok, because there are some tools I want to use but I believe only function in the Steam environment.  Specifically OVR Toolkit, which I've figured out how to use to display my Stream Deck buttons in realtime as a floating masked window.   Using the Toolkit's "chromakey" feature lets me make the window background transparent and place/size the floating button caps anywhere in the cockpit I wish. 

The goal is to get Steam Deck programmed to fully replace any keyboard commands I'd need to execute aside from the functions available from the Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and mouse clicks, while making sure the button display doesn't get in the way or too distracting.

So, thanks again - I was searching for an answer for almost a week when I stumbled upon your posting.

Edited by The Superslug
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/17/2021 at 1:52 PM, Isaac Heron said:

Thank you for the information,  glad that i am not the only person who has same issue and looking for the solution.   Hope there is sort of workarounds or either DCS or Tobii fix this issue. 

Safe Fly !!

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've just bumped up against this issue too with Tobii ET5.   I did find that in "control settings", if you left click on the down arrow icon, you can disable head tracking and the mouse look will work.  Be nice if ED could provide a hotkey to disable head tracking within the cockpit.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TWC_Alamo

Denver, CO

Military Flight Sim

I7-7700K, 4.9 GHz, Z270-Gaming MB, 16GB, 512GB EVO-960 NVMe M.2, 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2, 1 TB SSD Raid, EVGA RTX 2080ti, Samsung Odyssey Plus, TM HOTAS/MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Gametrix 908 JetSeat

GA Flight Sim

I7-5820K, 4.2Ghz, Godlike Carbon MB, 16GB, 512 GB EVO 960 NVME M.2, 2 X SSD, EVGA 1080ti, HTC Vive, 3 X 4K 55" TVs, 4 X 27" Monitors, CH: Flight Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals

• 5 months later...