Tactics for flying the Mig-15 Against later cold war planes.

MadMaxNZ

I've been using the -15 on Alpenwolfs Coldwar PVP server for a bit and I'm surprised at how much it holds up against planes like the F-5.

ezgif-6-6e1dce277992.gif

Does anyone have any tips for fighting against later cold-war era aircraft? or just very low altitude dogfighting tips in general? Thanks!

Edited by MadMaxNZ
  • Like 4

Unless its a guns-only duel with another player, just don't fly the MiG-15 on a server that mixes more modern type jets. Even the F-5E is superior in every respect - max speed, roll rate, missiles, radar, etc. You may have snuck up on an F-5 here and there, but they have the advantage if they are paying attention. As for the more advanced jets - they can splash you with missiles from 30-50miles away and you wouldn't even know they have fired a missile. The MiG-15 has no radar, no RWR, no countermeasures. It is much slower and has a low roll rate. Play against the F-86s on the Korea1952 server - the odds are much better and it's more realistic. Either way, have fun! 🙂

(Btw, I, too, love the MiG-15. However, I wouldn't dream of taking it up on the Cold War servers. Just my 2 cents...)

• Like 1

On 6/12/2021 at 1:25 AM, MadMaxNZ said:

I've been using the -15 on Alpenwolfs Coldwar PVP server for a bit and I'm surprised at how much it holds up against planes like the F-5.

ezgif-6-6e1dce277992.gif

Does anyone have any tips for fighting against later cold-war era aircraft? or just very low altitude dogfighting tips in general? Thanks!

There are a lots of great pilots out there in Mig15 that will create lots of problems to any cold war plan. 

This is an old video already but here we had some fun

Edited by NaCH
  • Like 2

• ED Team
On 6/12/2021 at 9:06 PM, Doc3908 said:

Unless its a guns-only duel with another player, just don't fly the MiG-15 on a server that mixes more modern type jets. Even the F-5E is superior in every respect - max speed, roll rate, missiles, radar, etc. You may have snuck up on an F-5 here and there, but they have the advantage if they are paying attention. As for the more advanced jets - they can splash you with missiles from 30-50miles away and you wouldn't even know they have fired a missile. The MiG-15 has no radar, no RWR, no countermeasures. It is much slower and has a low roll rate. Play against the F-86s on the Korea1952 server - the odds are much better and it's more realistic. Either way, have fun! 🙂

(Btw, I, too, love the MiG-15. However, I wouldn't dream of taking it up on the Cold War servers. Just my 2 cents...)

Can't speak for RL, but in DCS you can dab on F-5/MiG-21 with F-86/MiG-15 if you know what you're doing (and they don't). They just way more manoeuvrable.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

My opinion is that the mig 15 compared to a Saber is better in vertical maneuvers, loops, Immelman especially using the aerodynamic brakes which apparently allow you to maneuver tighter. I would avoid escaping with a long dive where you would risk losing buoyancy due to Mach phenomena, the Saber is faster and is not subject to these problems. I would use the machine guns and cannon only at short range, however I would try to shoot close up with the machine guns too and make good use of the scope which needs practice. While with a Saber equipped with six .50 cals he can successfully attempt even difficult shots in deflection with the Mig perhaps it is better to wait for a better opportunity where even a few shots are still effective given the greater caliber.
I advise before going into combat to practice a lot of aerobatic maneuvers especially at very low speeds or high altitudes and use the aerodynamic brakes to sharpen the turns.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]My dream: DCS Tornado