Dot Neutral-->THANK YOU

Kadin

On 6/12/2021 at 10:13 PM, Kadin said:

I have just updated to Stable 2.7 and I think the new "Dot Neutral"  option is a concept of a genius!!  A little tinkering to bring the dot closer to the plane mass and it is perfect 🙂

Thank you!

I missed this in the patch notes - do you mind explaining what it does? I freaking hate dots/labels, but being a 4K user it seems they're absolutely necessary to maintain SA. 

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

The "Dot Neutral", scripted into the Labels.lua file and activated through your Options menu as with the other Label options, sets a Neutral color symbol for all Aircrafts, Ground, Naval and Aerial weaponry which seems to scale with the users resolution (I have to assume that it is a little more complicated than the word I use).  As with the other options, the Dot Neutral is customizable. 

A few things to remember:

--Customize a copy of the labels.lua after you copy it  from the main C:\...\DCS World\Config\View\ to :C:\Users\YourName\Saved Games\DCS\Config\View

--If you are making a mission you need to enable the option under "Customize"-->"Mission Options" in the Mission  Editor's top bar

--If you also need to run this mission on a Dedicated server, you need to drag a copy of "labels.lua" file into the .miz file, in the appropriate folder \config\view.  If those subfolders do not exist, you need to create them first.   If you need any further info on how to do that, let me know. 

I have tried to create the same effect with the existing "DOT" system but I could not make it look decent for all resolutions.  I fly in VR with a rift S and my wingman is on a Ultra wide Screen.  If I made the dot to look nice and more realistic for my view,  my wingman could not see it.  If I increased the size for his viewing, it looked terribly blocky in mine.  However now, the new addition seems to look nice and "realistic" to both our systems with the same settings.

I am attaching my customized labels.lua file to get a better idea.  As always, I welcome feedback 🙂

Labels.lua

Edited by Kadin