[NO BUG] No difference between mk.20 fuse types

Draken35

Not a fan of discord, so posting this here also:

I went ahead and tested the fuse options for the mk.20. Dropping from 3000' AGL to 9000' AGL with targets at 0' ASL and then repeated with targets at 6000' ASL... I used TacView to get the opening altitude of the cannister. All, the mk.20, regardless of fuse type opened up between 900'AGL and 1250'AGL.  The higher the release altitude, the lower the opening altitude. So the variation depends on the vertical velocity of the bomb. 

ETA: I re-test with at target at 600 MSL and both fuse types worked identically .

Attached are the TacView tracks. For both, ODD releases used PR fuse while EVEN ones used OP fuse

EDIT 7/13

I repeated the test in a more controlled fashion. Started in air, active pause, setup the drop and auto pilot. 2 a/c starting at same position and altitude. Target at 600' ASL. First drop was with PRI, second with OP. Same opening altitude for both fuses: ~ 1500' ASL 

001.trk Tacview-20210713-170555-DCS-AV8B_mk20_Test.zip.acmi AV8B_mk20_Test.miz

Edited by Draken35
Test Repeated
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Thanatos31 said:

same. but are weapons Razbam or ED responsibilities? 

You know what? That's a really good question... I dunno.

EDIT: I'll do the same test with the Hornet and see what happens... This could be a weapon bug or a Aircraft/Weapon Interface bug.

Edited by Draken35

4 hours ago, Draken35 said:

Tested with the Hornet. PRI opens up at 5000' AGL , V?? (can't recall exact name) opens at 1250' AGL. 

I thought the only fuzing that worked for Rockeye in the Hornet was VT (Variable Time) with HT set to 1500 (not sure if it is AGL or Above Sea Level, thought AGL)

I am surprised it opened at all with PRI set.

20 minutes ago, Recluse said:

I thought the only fuzing that worked for Rockeye in the Hornet was VT (Variable Time) with HT set to 1500 (not sure if it is AGL or Above Sea Level, thought AGL)

I am surprised it opened at all with PRI set.

that it did... first test was dropping at 4000' AGL and I managed to frag myself. Repeated at 6000 at watched the TacView track.

I've not followed the Hornet as close as the Harrier, but your remark and my result seems to indicate thar there is indeed a Plane-Module/weapon interface and seems broken or incomplete in te Harrier.

So, interesting that in this thread:

Elmo says:

NOTE: the MK20 CBU in PRI fuse mode will open and release the bomblets at 1500FT ASL while the OP fuze will open up at 1500FT AGL. Take into account your altitude and your TGT atltitude and set your PUC up accordingly. Also note that at higher airspeeds, alot more drag can be induced on the bomb affecting accuracy which is important if youre bombing from a higher altitude. Usually for CBU drops using CIP you would want to ideally be in the realm of 5000- 8000FT AGL in the initial roll in with your TAS at around 400.

Your testing appears to contradict the fuse mode guidance.

So, according to that and if my understanding is correct, dropping in a target located at 600' ASL, PRI should open at 1500' ASL / 900' AGL and OP  would open at 1500' AGL / 2100' ASL ... That did not happen on my test, both opened at around 1250'.  Very easy to verify with TacView.

• 3 months later...
  • AlphaJuliet changed the title to [NO BUG] No difference between mk.20 fuse types