Petrovich command: scan area

S. Low

Can “short up” be “scan wide” like a radar sweep within maybe a hud-sized box around where you select, and then make it a “long up” press to scan narrow like it is now?

I just want an option to have Pete scan a larger area. Human gunner can be unzoomed and scan quickly, or even be out of the sight and scan, both of which are much faster than what petrovich can do currently 

• Like 9

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

I dunno if the devs did a stealth change but last night I did a scan with Pete and he picked up targets in a decent-sized box. However it demonstrates the need for both a scan wide area, and scan point right at the crosshairs. I had a group of four tanks I could see with my eyeballs that I had placed directly in the crosshair. I told Pete to scan right on top of them, right inside my crosshairs. They are the biggest threat and I’m flying directly toward them.

he gives me a list of like 10 targets, mostly tanks, that I have no ability to differentiate. Supposedly the highest threat targets are at the topic of the list but when i selected the top tank it picked a tank several Km further in the distance. I had to break off the attack and come back around and just start picking targets in Pete’s list to find my desired targets.

While I do want the ability to scan a wide area with Pete, I also want a pinpoint scan option so he will give me a list of whatever is right in my crosshairs. Human multicrew does this all the time. “Target off nose” or “target at 12”.

And further more, he needs to be more specific in the location of targets in the list. “APC 11 o’clock far” or something 

• Like 2

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 7/27/2021 at 1:29 AM, S. Low said:

And further more, he needs to be more specific in the location of targets in the list. “APC 11 o’clock far” or something 

+1 to this. Needs a method to more readily select the target you want.

Some ideas:

• format the list of targets as a grid, to show their locations relative to each other (left/right and closer/further). Would need a control scheme adjustment though and might take up a lot of space, which might especially bad for VR users.
  • present the current list, but also show a small graphical display of the targets (perhaps with targets as simple dots or as icons representing target class). Selecting a target in the list would highlight it in the display.
  • highlight the target in the 'real world' so you can just look outside as you scroll the list to select the correct target.
  • align each target name in the list to the left, centre or right of the listbox based on their relation to the centre of the scan area. This could be a way of providing "low-resolution" spatial information within the existing framework (just need to add some padding to the target names).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely need 1) area scan option, 2) feedback from Petrovich (distance, information about found threats etc) and 3) prioritization options. Currently you can not perform any realistic cold war scenario due to Petrovich AI limitations, and tasks and scenarios must be tightly streamlined.