Any Tips on Using Link 4 with Link 16?

bonesvf103

So since the Tomcat is Link 4A/4C and there really isn't a way to see other aircraft that are Link 16 with any detail, how do you deal with this?  I can, for instance, see a friendly but I'm not sure if he's part of my package or say an AI friendly.  I can ask for his bullseye, but then I have to use the NavGrid and if I'm SP, well, Jester doesn't really help at all with the NavGrid.  If I jump in back and do it, as soon as I go up front I think Jester switches it back or doesn't manipulate it like I need to.  In MP it's worse since I can't hop in the backseat.

Also I obviously can't just put my cursor on the datalink contact and have it give me callsign, aircraft type (if known) etc.

So, how do you get better SA with Link 4 in a Link 16 world?

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

7 minutes ago, bonesvf103 said:

So since the Tomcat is Link 4A/4C and there really isn't a way to see other aircraft that are Link 16 with any detail, how do you deal with this?  I can, for instance, see a friendly but I'm not sure if he's part of my package or say an AI friendly.  I can ask for his bullseye, but then I have to use the NavGrid and if I'm SP, well, Jester doesn't really help at all with the NavGrid.  If I jump in back and do it, as soon as I go up front I think Jester switches it back or doesn't manipulate it like I need to.  In MP it's worse since I can't hop in the backseat.

Also I obviously can't just put my cursor on the datalink contact and have it give me callsign, aircraft type (if known) etc.

So, how do you get better SA with Link 4 in a Link 16 world?

v6,

boNes

E-2 and E-3 converts all that and sends the tomcat the datalink it needs. AWACS receives Link16, and chooses what to send the tomcat in Link4

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

BreaKKer

CAG and Commanding Officer of:

Carrier Air Wing Five //  VF-154 Black Knights

Thanks, I understand that and I can see the DL contacts fine, but the amount of information I get on them in the TID is not the same level as I would in the SA page in the Hornet.  So, what are the best ways to mitigate that?  In my post, for instance, I can tell the contact is friendly, but I can't tell if he's in my package, or an AI, unless I have that aircraft tell me his bullseye, which is hard to locate on the NavGrid with Jester working/messing with it, and if I'm in SP, I can't ask an AI what his bullseye is.  So what do people do to get this to work for them?

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

1 hour ago, bonesvf103 said:

Thanks, I understand that and I can see the DL contacts fine, but the amount of information I get on them in the TID is not the same level as I would in the SA page in the Hornet.  So, what are the best ways to mitigate that?  In my post, for instance, I can tell the contact is friendly, but I can't tell if he's in my package, or an AI, unless I have that aircraft tell me his bullseye, which is hard to locate on the NavGrid with Jester working/messing with it, and if I'm in SP, I can't ask an AI what his bullseye is.  So what do people do to get this to work for them?

v6,

boNes

The cat’s limited to 8 datalink contacts and are prioritized by threat level. As in, hostile at 100 is worse than friendly at 40nm, so it will display that hostile and not the friendly

• Like 1

BreaKKer

CAG and Commanding Officer of:

Carrier Air Wing Five //  VF-154 Black Knights

On 8/25/2021 at 7:37 AM, bonesvf103 said:

v6,

boNes

This is one of those limitations of the F-14.  The best way to deal with it is to practice knowing your location and where friendlies are supposed to be.  In Multiplayer, the RIO's I fly with for things like the Liberation Dynamic Campaigns are tasked with at least keeping tabs on them.  I generally keep tabs too, and it just requires knowing roughly where things are at in the battle plan and battle space.  Occasionally, using the NAVGRID, we'll be able to figure out where friendlies are at in the package by BRA calls from C2 (AWACS). It's not easy, that's for sure, but it's a necessary part of the skills you and your RIO must have.

My YT Channel (DCS World, War Thunder and World of Warships)

Too Many Modules to List

--Unapologetically In Love With the F-14-- Anytime Baby! --