Are ESA Radars too classified simulate, or it’s just not time yet

F-2

So this isn’t a request thread but more a general inquiry of curiosity. Currently no playable aircraft in DCS has any kind of electronic Scanned Radar, PESA or AESA. I was curious as to why. 

Now a common argument is that nothing like that exists in DCS,”. I don’t by this reasoning. Since flaming cliffs DCS radar model has evolved tremendously, ED and a number of third parties have drastically expanded what is possible in DCS, the Apache longbow will expand more. Evolving radar models have do a lot for both new AND older aircraft. Simply if the will exists I see nothing stopping a way to be found. 

Now of course many radars tend to be highly classified I seem to recall ED (I think) and another dev on another sim saying APG-79 on the hornet was to classified to model. But is that true for all AESA systems. For example for US mechanical scan arrays the newest radars I know of that we have ultra detailed information on are the original APG-63 and APG-66. However through manuals, manufacturer information, brochure, white papers statements (app-68 is 33% more powerful then apg-66) etc along with the radar equation. we can get a good idea of how say apg-68, apg-63(v)1 apg-70 should behave and it’s reasonable to construct a model of this in game, the current state not withstanding. Now AESA calculators exist like the one sited here.

https://www.matec-conferences.org/articles/matecconf/pdf/2019/53/matecconf_easn2019_04001.pdf

many of these variables are estimated (as stated in the paper), but would that be true of all current AESA arrays? of course we know there is more to a radar then just absolute range, but that applies to our mech scan radars. Some mech scans are even built with upgrade to ESA in mind and likely have similar modes and UI. 

so my question, which I ask entirely in good faith and only out of curiosity. Are ESA radars still to classified to add to DCS or is it just the “right” aircraft that would make it viable has yet to appear?

AESA radars are the at forefront of electronic warfare, so I'd wager getting accurate data about them is close to impossible. The main thing they have going for them is that they can do more stuff at the same time (say, it can combine radar modes that we already know of from mechanical radars), but how and how well is quite sensitive information.

PESA radars, on the other hand, would be no different than mechanical radars for us in DCS. They'll have longer ranges and maybe they could "insta-lock" targets in dogfight modes. The only fighter planes that use PESA radars that I know of are the modern Russian ones, and full-fidelity modelling of those is directly out of the question because of their laws. So, for PESA radars, I guess it's a question of viable aircraft.

• Like 1

Все буде добре

There is probably nothing preventing ESA radars from being reasonably represented in DCS, but that doesn't mean the data is available to model a specific ESA radar. That's the problem.

• Like 2

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

2 hours ago, Kilo said:

The only fighter planes that use PESA radars that I know of are the modern Russian ones, and full-fidelity modelling of those is directly out of the question because of their laws.

Some versions of the Rafale as well iirc - although that aircraft is basically in the same boat as Russian jet when it comes to information available.

• Like 1

Yes Rafale had PESA radars in its early stages,

As for accurate sim of the specific tech,

for example we have AIM-120C-5 simulated, they have no idea what is its actual range, radar scan range, they guessed it, and educated guess yes, but still a guess, all they know is the size of the rocket motor, the amount of fuel it has and which fuel, size of the warhead and which explosives are used etc, but they don't know the exact data, it is just a guess and we get it simulated.

ED is saying that in interviews.

That is just one piece of tech that we have cause of educated guesses, and there is more. If we went with exact simulations of everything in DCS your Hornet, for example, would now probably have the gun installed and that would be it 😂

When it comes to ESA radars, I don't see an obstacle in simulating those as well. They can have educated guess about those as well, there is tech data about how those radars work, not for specific planes like Rafale etc but educated guesses can be made there as well, and in simulating those radars DCS team would progress and learn at a new area. And progress is good, it is good for everyone.

• Like 1