Questions about terminology in mission 9

splash

Hello, I have many problems with terminology in this mission. At the beginning of this mission I received the following message: ".... Playtime zero plus four five. Update code 14C capable". What does it means "Update 14C capable"? I did nothing about it.

Another ones:

- "no factor"

- "tapes on, armstrong"

- "5 mikes" -> I suppose it is 5 minutes

- "put your pod at lines 4 and 6" -> I did nothing

Any help it is very grateful. Thanks.

I'll try to help with a few:

"no factor"

Not a present threat

"tapes on, armstrong"

I believe this is the same as "fence in" - and references turning on the HUD tapes

"5 mikes" -> I suppose it is 5 minutes

yep

"put your pod at lines 4 and 6"

Refers to the 9-line format you've just been given by the JFAC. Line 4 and 6 is the target elevation and position. Basically, look at the target with the TGP.

DCS Wishlist: | Navy F-14 | Navy F/A-18 | AH-6 | Navy A-6 | Official Navy A-4 | Carrier Ops | Dynamic Campaign | Marine AH-1 |

Streaming DCS sometimes:

18 hours ago, splash said:

Thank you. The campaign is fantastic, but honestly I am tired of so much terminology that I do not understand.

Me too, a great opportunity to learn. 

• PC Specs: Intel i7 9700, Nvidia RTX 2080S, Corsair 64G DDR4, MSI B360M Mortar Titanium, Intel 760P M.2 256GB SSD + Samsung 1TB SSD, Corsair RM650x
  • Flight Gears: Logitech X56 HOTAS & Flight Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2
  • Modules: F-14A/B, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C I/II, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Project: Operation Hormuz [F/A-18C Multiplayer Campaign]

Gorilla is NATO shorthand, I believe, for a large group of hostile aircraft. 

Feet Wet means currently over water, or transitioning from land airspace to oceanic airspace. Opposite of Feet Dry.

DCS Wishlist: | Navy F-14 | Navy F/A-18 | AH-6 | Navy A-6 | Official Navy A-4 | Carrier Ops | Dynamic Campaign | Marine AH-1 |

Streaming DCS sometimes:

• 5 months later...

That's the artist's craft.  You want to make a technical subject hyper-realistic you gotta include the lingo.  Explain only what needs explaining, otherwise it gets really tedious and potentially condescending.  Trust the artist, he'll get you where you need to be.  

Faulkner once said of Hemingway that the man lacked courage; never used a word that might send the reader to the dictionary.  Let that not be said of Baltic Dragon

Edited by DeltaMike

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Codewords for the day like "tulip" or "rose" are referenced in the mission-specific kneeboard cards. 

Baltic Dragon also included a glossary in his campaign documentation where some abbreviations are being explained.

All of the terms can be googled, and many can even be deduced from their context. If you know what the word "alibi" means, you can probably guess what "no alibis" within the context of a fence check may refer to. 😉 Or when you see a whole bunch of contacts grouped together on your radar screen, what could "Gorilla group" mean?