Phoenix initial guidance

BreaKKer

Just looking at a bunch of video of the AIM-54 phoenix, from early development YAIM-54s all the way to AIM-54Cs being fired in Fighter Flings, I noticed a few differences between our phoenix's initial guidance to real life. 
For ideal comparison, look at timestamp 5:00 and watch the phoenix do it's magic compared to mine.

1. Our phoenix is ejected way too fast off the bottom of the jet. The phoenix is released from the bottom of the jet, not pushed off, so the phoenix ends up super far underneath the jet when ignition starts in DCS.
2. Ignition is slightly late. The phoenix from any real life footage activates just barely under the ventral fins and points the nose down with gravity, as compared to DCS where the missile tries to go nose high as soon as ignition starts. This may be actually correct and my point on #1 just dramatizes it. 
3. Initial nose up of the phoenix is too early. From footage, the phoenix is much further out in front of the jet, 10-30 feet infront of the nose, as compared to my footage, where the phoenix lofts underneath the jet
4. The phoenix is teleported into the loft. You can see in the DCS footage, that the phoenix just magically starts climbing at timestamp 0:06, like it lost 5 degrees of AOA in an instant, compared to the real life footage, where the phoenix sits nose high for a few seconds before the AOA of the missile settles down and the loft starts to begin.

Considerations:
-The phoenix is told to activate later so it doesn't collide with the player/AI aircraft
-The phoenix is all coded in the initial guidance phase to fly a certain path, regardless of what the model and telemetry date shows the missile doing
-The guidance is still the old API, so it might just not be finished

Other sources
https://youtu.be/6cwYule1KyQ

Edited by BreaKKer
  • Like 4

BreaKKer

CAG and Commanding Officer of:

Carrier Air Wing Five //  VF-154 Black Knights

Thank you. Would you be so kind and time stamp the comparisons, please? Would be much appreciated. We'll take a look.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

5 hours ago, IronMike said:

Thank you. Would you be so kind and time stamp the comparisons, please? Would be much appreciated. We'll take a look.

In the promotional film, Phoenixes are fired at 3:24, 3:34, 3:39, and 5:01. A Sparrow is launched at 4:49 and 8:35. A missile that probably (and probably wrong assessment by me) is an AIM-9 is launched at 8:47. Those should be all the missile time stamps.

--

Watching this AIM-54C promotional video shows that the 54's motor lights pretty early after being released from the pylon. There is even slowed down footage.

Phoenixes are launched at 0:08, 1:06, 1:34, 1:55 (glove pylon launch), 2:02, and 2:17.

Edited by DSplayer

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

On 9/13/2021 at 11:10 PM, BreaKKer said:

The phoenix is released from the bottom of the jet, not pushed off, so the phoenix ends up super far underneath the jet when ignition starts in DCS.

You can clearly see the two ejector pins, sticking out of the LAU-93 launcher in the 54C promo video above. Force of the ejectors is maybe too much in DCS, but Phoenix is definitely ejected from launcher.

"The LAU-93/A guided missile launcher carries and launches the AIM-54 Phoenix missile, and is installed on the weapons rail of the F-14 aircraft. The launcher provides electrical and coolant connections between the weapons rail and the missile. The mechanical components of the launcher consist of a gas-operated, hook-opening linkage and two ejectors, a ground safety lock and positive launch pin, coolant, and electrical umbilicals. The launcher can also be installed on the wing-mounted multipurpose pylon using an LAU-93/A adapter."

3 minutes ago, Golo said:

Force of the ejectors is maybe too much in DCS

This is the part I want us to investigate, but also not sure if we can define the force of ejectors, or if DCS does that for us.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

On 9/13/2021 at 10:10 PM, BreaKKer said:

✔️ 1. Our phoenix is ejected way too fast off the bottom of the jet. The phoenix is released from the bottom of the jet, not pushed off, so the phoenix ends up super far underneath the jet when ignition starts in DCS.
✔️ 2. Ignition is slightly late. The phoenix from any real life footage activates just barely under the ventral fins and points the nose down with gravity, as compared to DCS where the missile tries to go nose high as soon as ignition starts. This may be actually correct and my point on #1 just dramatizes it. 

❌ 3. Initial nose up of the phoenix is too early. From footage, the phoenix is much further out in front of the jet, 10-30 feet infront of the nose, as compared to my footage, where the phoenix lofts underneath the jet
❌ 4. The phoenix is teleported into the loft. You can see in the DCS footage, that the phoenix just magically starts climbing at timestamp 0:06, like it lost 5 degrees of AOA in an instant, compared to the real life footage, where the phoenix sits nose high for a few seconds before the AOA of the missile settles down and the loft starts to begin.

Ok, so we did a quick investigation of these and the first two points we can control (and will try to adjust a bit better), however the second two points we have no control over in DCS and thus cannot adjust them. (Just a quick sidenote: the phoenix is indeed ejected, not released however.)

Thank you again for bringing this to our attention.

Edited by IronMike
  • Like 2

Heatblur Simulations