Yet another PC build question.

Hi,

Long time listener, first time caller.

Been flying DCS and other flight sims for umpteen years, but I just started experimenting with VR, and I'm running into some performance issues. So I've decided to upgrade, but being a novice PC hardware guy I don't know where to start and what would help.

My current setup, built many moons ago and upgraded sporadically:

ASUS Strix Z270F Gaming

i7-7700k @ 4.20Ghz

32Gb RAM @ 2666Mhz

Nvidia RTX 3070

Samsung 850 EVO SSD

HTV Vive Pro 2

Hotas Warthog

My questions:

Is this a decent rig for DCS?

What upgrades would benefit VR gaming most? CPU? RAM?

Should the DCS installation be on a completely separate SSD? or with Win10?

Is it worth buying the i9-10900k? or wait for the next generation CPU?

Thanks a lot for looking and responding!

Ken

That is fine for DCS, yes, but new CPU+Motherboard+RAM will speed up things in DCS a bit there.

Definitely wait for Intel 12th gen "Alder Lake", to be launched in the end of October, or start of November.

The i5 12600K and i7 12700K will probably be then what you should be aiming at. 

Edited by LucShep

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

Hi Ken,

As always Lucsheps advise is solid. Your system would benefit from a CPU/Mobo/Dram overhaul as the 7700k is getting a little dated around now.

If you want to go Intel then I would definitely wait for Alder Lake 12th gen. I run an AMD rig with X570 and a 5600x. I dont use VR but I do fly using 4k resolution on close to max settings which gives a very solid 60 fps, even down low over Dubai etc. When I disable vsync I get between 70-110 fps. 

Intels Alder Lake will be right up to date if you want the latest available at the end of this year. However an AMD system is worth considering if there is a significant saving to be had at the time.

If it was me and money was no object I would go for Intels latest and be future proof 100%. If money is a factor, go with an AMD system if the price is right. Both will run DCS very very well.

As for the SSD question. If the OS is on a Sata 3 SSD, if you can put it DCS on its own separate drive. It will help with interruptions and pauses. If you have something like a higher speed nvme, it doesn't matter. I tried this last month, OS with DCS on my Sabrent SSD vs OS on Sabrent and DCS on its own Crucial MX500 500gb Sata3. No real difference.

• Like 2