CGTC - textures overhaul mod for the Caucasus map

Go to solution Solved by LucShep,

CGTC (Caucasus Ground Textures Compilation) for DCS World 

Now presenting CGTC, an alternative package to improve the looks of the Caucasus map of DCS World with extensively overhauled ground textures.

I've prepared a "READ ME" in .PDF format, also available HEREwith all the necessary info (mod description, installation notes with suggested settings, credits/thanks, etc). 
Please take a moment to read it before using the mod or posting, as it should clear the most common doubts. 

Latest 2.84.1 version (release 21/May/2023) represents the biggest update to the mod since the initial release, with lots of changes, some additions and bug fixes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
Now also optional if desired (if you're into that) you have two different options for the Caucasus' Shading Options, which slightly alter overall tones:

- Modified based (CGTC uses this one by default)
- Original based    

With the mod installed, go to the main DCS folder and then into "...\Mods\terrains\Caucasus\shadingOptions\CGTC - shading options selection".
Use the respective file as of your preference.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

CGTC (v2.84.1) download:  https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3321589/

- This mod was tested and made compatible with newest and also older versions of DCS WORLD (from 2.5 and up), be it Open Beta or Stable releases. 
- All of the texture replacements have similar format and size as stock defaults, so the performance is identical (both High and Low resolution packages are included). 
- With no other mod dependencies, install over vanilla (default) Caucasus map of DCS and off you go.

- As usual with this type of mod, it can only work in Multiplayer if on servers with “Pure textures” disabled (in the integrity check).

And now for the mandatory screenshots....

4V3VZUl.jpg

d5Smk9l.jpg

WU06ox3.jpg

72Q6l55.jpg

ngaXiGp.jpg

pPAu2g1.jpg

GRTwvQt.jpg

7K4L3vI.jpg

4qocGLe.jpg

QIjkkWK.jpg

6ZmCUbT.jpg

RE6CB7r.jpg

Enjoy the CGTC mod! :pilotfly:

Edited by LucShep
Version 2.84.1 release
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

• Solution

I'm reopening the CGTC mod thread, as I accidentally deleted the original thread, thanks to some new odd forum options (I thought I was deleting the pop-up!!)... 😕 
Someone decided to put an option for bugs related questions in the Mods section...?? ("mark as solution"...huh??) 🤦‍♂️ Lost all of the older posts because of it! 

image.png

Anyways, new thread is up.
Enjoy the mod. 🙂 

Edited by LucShep
  • Thanks 2

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

The mod has a lot of small issues that I need to adress.
I'll disable it temporarily then post once all is updated.

Edited by LucShep
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to the updated version!

The best terrain mod for caucasus...vanilla is pretty good but this is even better.

Any chance of adding Taz's better trees?

Could you fix the tower red lights..they are too big and plague the countryside in low light.

Thanks again for this beautiful VR fps friendly mod👍

Edited by aceviper
  • Thanks 1

^ You can apply Taz's trees on top of any mod. I've been doing it with this one and Barthek's one without issues. Relevant files just get overwritten and that's it.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

On 5/3/2023 at 11:24 AM, aceviper said:

Looking forward to the updated version!

The best terrain mod for caucasus...vanilla is pretty good but this is even better.

Any chance of adding Taz's better trees?

Could you fix the tower red lights..they are too big and plague the countryside in low light.

Thanks again for this beautiful VR fps friendly mod👍

Thanks for the comment. 🙂 

I'm currently going through all of it. Lots of changes, some additions but bug fixes mostly.
Most textures are to be kept, especially ones from Starway (Spring/Summer/Autumn) and PicksKing (Winter), those ground textures are still unrivaled, IMO.

Regarding the trees, I'm going to include the tree barks and the normals from "Taz Better Trees" (with his permission) but with my own tree textures, because this odd mix adds definition and better optimization, while providing the best match to the terrain textures of CGTC, color wise and for all seasons.
Of course, people can always use that mod from Taz separately if they prefer, that won't change.

I'm not sure I can fix the tower red lights of default Caucasus, but I agree that it's quite a bit "unnatural" in low light.
I'll have a look.

Edited by LucShep
  • Thanks 2

Spoiler

Alright, it's pretty much concluded.
Too many changes to list. From the top of my head... pretty much all textures were redone (again, argh!) with readjusted colors, and better matching.
The old 2.5 airport terrain textures are back (much nicer) restored and matched, and hangar covers matching the terrain.
Some adjustments in the trees, nicely matching the terrain for each season, and including barks and normals from "Taz Better Trees" (better definition and optimization).
And there are all new ShadingOptions (not just gamma values changes) for the Caucasus map, which complement all changes very nicely.

Currently testing the "LOW" terrain textures (lower resolution/detail version), always included with the mod and meant for those of you unable to run them at "HIGH".
These are not "half sized batch converted", each single one is downsized and sharpened a little, to keep detail (quite the task). 

Below are two quick screenshots taken while testing the "LOW" terrain textures, Summer season set at 10.30 AM, near Tsatskhvi:

UEch5Sw.jpg

ImiCR8N.jpg

Edited by LucShep
  • Like 10

Spoiler

Thanks for updating this, though your last update was really good as it was.  👍

Is there anything you can do with the noise_1.tif in your new version to avoid obvious repetition in your last release?  

I found your previous version looked absolutely superb on flat ground but looked a little repetitive and cluttered on the hills and mountains where you would also see what looks like pooled water and small streams running horizontally on sloping ground. So I swaped it back to the default texture on my install for a smoother feel. 

Less details may be more in this case? 

I know it's an impossible task in reality but anything you can do to avoid obvious patterning would be welcome.  🙏

Thanks again for all the effort and time you have put in to this map.😊

Screen_230507_085920.jpg

Edited by swartbyron

On 5/7/2023 at 9:06 AM, swartbyron said:
Is there anything you can do with the noise_1.tif in your new version to avoid obvious repetition in your last release?  

I found your previous version looked absolutely superb on flat ground but looked a little repetitive and cluttered on the hills and mountains where you would also see what looks like pooled water and small streams running horizontally on sloping ground. So I swaped it back to the default texture on my install for a smoother feel. 

Less details may be more in this case? 

I know it's an impossible task in reality but anything you can do to avoid obvious patterning would be welcome.  🙏

That's exactly what's been taking most time, and one of the "bugs" that made me withdraw the mod for now. 🤕

The pockets of dark green areas mess up what otherwise is nearly perfect, considering the severe limitations with a single main ground texture (repeating ad infinitum, everywhere!). That, and the black "veins and dots" (maybe what you call rivers?) are the immersion breakers.

I've been trying to disguise and erase those areas and, while it'll never be perfect, I think I can improve it a lot and maintain the original variety and flow. 😉 It's getting there.

Not sure this is illustrative enough to show the changes I'm doing (which disguise part of the repetition pattern) but, see below.
At the left is the old original, at the right is the modified (WIP):

image.png

Edited by LucShep
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler

22 hours ago, LucShep said:

Alright, it's pretty much concluded.
Too many changes to list. From the top of my head... pretty much all textures were redone (again, argh!) with readjusted colors, and better matching.
The old 2.5 airport terrain textures are back (much nicer) restored and matched, and hangar covers matching the terrain.
Some adjustments in the trees, nicely matching the terrain for each season, and including barks and normals from "Taz Better Trees" (better definition and optimization).
And there are all new ShadingOptions (not just gamma values changes) for the Caucasus map, which complement all changes very nicely.

Currently testing the "LOW" terrain textures (lower resolution/detail version), always included with the mod and meant for those of you unable to run them at "HIGH".
These are not "half sized batch converted", each single one is downsized and sharpened a little, to keep detail (quite the task). 

Below are two quick screenshots taken while testing the "LOW" terrain textures, Summer season set at 10.30 AM, near Tsatskhvi:

UEch5Sw.jpg

ImiCR8N.jpg

hey, thank you very much for your passion, time and artwork!! that´s interesting - what exactly do you mean by "the old 2.5 airport textures are back - could you please share an example? i can remember that especially vaziani was looking very "flat" and less  of ground details after some update. . . would be cool to have that back!!! can you please share some more screenies?   

Edited by flanker1

On 5/7/2023 at 11:52 PM, flanker1 said:

hey, thank you very much for your passion, time and artwork!! that´s interesting - what exactly do you mean by "the old 2.5 airport textures are back - could you please share an example? i can remember that especially vaziani was looking very "flat" and less  of ground details after some update. . . would be cool to have that back!!! can you please share some more screenies?   

Yep, that's it.
DCS 2.5 used the previous official Caucasus textures (last seen in 2.56) and, although those were generally problematic (colors and brightness wise), not all was bad on them.
Particularly the current airport ground textures, seen since DCS 2.7 and in latest 2.8, weren't (IMO) really an improvement over the old ones, unfortunately.
So, I brought back those much older airport ground textures from 2.56 and modified them, to fit the new CGTC textures.

Maybe pictures speak better than words, I hope this makes sense. List goes and it varies for other airports but, for example, here's Batumi airport:

CGTC (WIP) - Spring
UZFojOI.jpg

CGTC (WIP) - Summer
eNJXbVE.jpg

CGTC (WIP) - Autumn
fnbCinp.jpg

CGTC (WIP) - Winter
hiJDSHw.jpg

Real life (summer?)
Batumi_Airport_Karakas-1.jpg

Edited by LucShep
  • Like 4

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, flanker1 said:

that´s really it! amazing news, thank you very much for sharing!

i have also tried to get the old files back, without sucess. what was the trick you used for? 

Trick? ...no trick. 🙂 
Took the relevant .DDS files from VectorDataAsset*season packages of older DCS 2.56.
Then photoshop magic to patiently (re)match them to the new CGTC textures.

Edited by LucShep

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, radi0n said:

Gogle drive and Mega links are dead

👇😶

On 4/23/2023 at 8:21 PM, LucShep said:

The mod has a lot of small issues that I need to adress.
I'll disable it temporarily then post once all is updated.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Soon™

SPRING 1.JPG
SUMMER 1.JPG
AUTUMN 1.JPG
WINTER 1.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Spoiler

CGTC now updated and released - check the first post in this thread for details. 🙂 

Edited by LucShep
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Spoiler

Hey Luc

Thanks for your hard work!

My thoughts....new version is darker less saturated and more muted.

Sort of industrial grey film filter over everything.

2.7 is more vibrant,brighter and much more natural looking to me.

I will stick to 2.7 for now

10 hours ago, aceviper said:

Hey Luc

Thanks for your hard work!

My thoughts....new version is darker less saturated and more muted.

Sort of industrial grey film filter over everything.

2.7 is more vibrant,brighter and much more natural looking to me.

I will stick to 2.7 for now

Thanks for the feedback. 

Notice that the "darker tone" aspect was always on purpose since the start of this mod (years ago).

Now, the grey film filter thing, that was not intended. I must have had wrong files or maybe settings for shading options.
I'll have a look, as I'm also findind that it can be a bit too much at times.

EDIT: found the culprits, there are indeed wrong files.. 🤦‍♂️ (meant for testing, not release) I'll be uploading a corrected version later today. 

Edited by LucShep

Spoiler

On 5/20/2023 at 8:06 PM, LucShep said:

Notice that the "darker tone" aspect was always on purpose since the start of this mod (years ago).

Now, the grey film filter thing, that was not intended. I must have had wrong files or maybe settings for shading options.
I'll have a look, as I'm also findind that it can be a bit too much at times.

EDIT: found the culprits, there are indeed wrong files.. 🤦‍♂️ (meant for testing, not release) I'll be uploading a corrected version later today. 

OK, corrected version now available (CGTC 2.84.1). 😉 
See first post of this thread.

- - -
If desired, you have two different options for the Caucasus' Shading Options, which slightly alter overall tones:

1. Modified based (CGTC uses this one by default)
2. Original based

With the mod installed, go to the main DCS folder and then into "...\Mods\terrains\Caucasus\shadingOptions\CGTC - shading options selection".
Use the respective file as of your preference.

Edited by LucShep
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler