Ability to add unique name for joystick devices in the controls menu

Baldawg

I'm sure this has been asked for and I'm also sure there are a lot of us that have more controllers than the screen can show at one time.  Also, in my case, I have 2 x Leo Bodnar BBI-32s and 4 x BBI 64s.  As the title describes, it would be nice to be able to change the name of the categories to easily differentiate identical devices.

• Like 3

Win 10 Pro - Intel I7 12700k@4.9ghz water cooled - ASUS TUF Z690 -EVGA RTX 3080 12G Hybrid - EVGA 1000W PSU - 32GB 3200 G-Skill XMP- Reverb G2 -Custom mip and side panels - Leo Bodnar  BBI32x2, BBI64x4 - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar MFD's x 3 - TM TPR pedals

I'm sure this has been asked for and I'm also sure there are a lot of us that have more controllers than the screen can show at one time.  Also, in my case, I have 2 x Leo Bodnar BBI-32s and 4 x BBI 64s.  As the title describes, it would be nice to be able to change the name of the categories to easily differentiate identical devices.

Good one, and I agree it would be a nice feature. But have you tried just renaming it through the Windows registry?

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

yup, same here. I've got 2 x BBIx32 and they both show up under the same name in 2 different columns. Granted DCS keeps a good track of each and the bindings don't get crossed, but from the user friendliness it's a bit confusing..

I wouldn't touch the registry as Windows can change the UUID on the fly without any explanation...

It's a tough one.

• Like 1

I know that this is only a stop-gap (it would indeed better if ED allowed us to edit/name devices, it's only one more tag): many of the more advanced devices come with software that allows you to name the device (in firmware) yourself. I'm using this with my Virpil devices (their software allows you to name each device individually) to unclutter and better identify my devices. Maybe your vendor-provided tools have a similar option?

[EDIT: Just looked up the BBI - it seems that they provide a unique identify solely via serial ID; unless you can get access to the microcontroller and eeprom, you are stuck with what the board is set to by the manufacturer.]

Edited by cfrag

I'm pretty sure you can do this already. I run with three standard TM MFDs and out of the box, they're called MFD 1, MFD 2 and MFD 2 (again) because they have an internal left/right split, and thus number themselves as either 1 or 2. This makes it seemingly tricky to figure out which of the two "2" is the middle one. However, by simply double-clicking the name at the top, I can do this...

image.png

Or, rather, I guess I'm wondering if this is what you're looking for but haven't found, or are you looking for some more advanced functionality?

Edited by Tippis
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

6 hours ago, Tippis said:

Or, rather, I guess I'm wondering if this is what you're looking for but haven't found, or are you looking for some more advanced functionality?

Holy Cow - you are right! Double-click and you can edit it. I must have tried that eons ago, and it never occurred to me to try again. Thanks!!!

• Like 2

On 10/23/2021 at 10:10 AM, Tippis said:

I'm pretty sure you can do this already. I run with three standard TM MFDs and out of the box, they're called MFD 1, MFD 2 and MFD 2 (again) because they have an internal left/right split, and thus number themselves as either 1 or 2. This makes it seemingly tricky to figure out which of the two "2" is the middle one. However, by simply double-clicking the name at the top, I can do this...

image.png

Whoa! Thanks man!!! 

yeah that was exactly what I was talking about.....right under my nose!!!

Now if I could only rearrange the categories in the order I want this camper would be happy

• Like 1

Win 10 Pro - Intel I7 12700k@4.9ghz water cooled - ASUS TUF Z690 -EVGA RTX 3080 12G Hybrid - EVGA 1000W PSU - 32GB 3200 G-Skill XMP- Reverb G2 -Custom mip and side panels - Leo Bodnar  BBI32x2, BBI64x4 - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar MFD's x 3 - TM TPR pedals

• 1 year later...
On 10/22/2021 at 9:10 PM, Baldawg said:

i have 1 of each but might get more. does it just show the same name if you have more than 1?

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

2 hours ago, eatthis said:

i have 1 of each but might get more. does it just show the same name if you have more than 1?

yup, it does. The bindings themselves are saved into .xml file that have a unique UUID in the name, but figuring out which one belongs to which in DCS Controls menu is a trial and error business.

• Like 2

On 5/16/2023 at 5:53 AM, eatthis said:

there is a utility you can download form leo bodnar that allows you to flash the firmware to change the name to BBI-32-1 -2 etc etc

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=page&id=5