Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC ×
Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC

ACM up will not affect AIM-54 launch in PD-STT

Noctrach

As per title. Putting ACM cover to UP while having a contact on the nose locked in PD-STT:

• Will not affect LTE (still 3 seconds)
  • Will not set Phoenix active upon launch

Interestingly, Phoenixes launched at <10 nmi will guide ARH. Launched beyond that range will guide pure SARH and go stupid when lock is broken.

Manually selecting BRSIT works fine, missiles pick up contatcs well over 10 miles.

Edited by Noctrach
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, lunaticfringe said:

If you have a lock, ACM up doesn't affect anything for Sparrow or Phoenix.  The LTE process goes on about its normal process with the Steering Bias and Doppler injection.

Is this intended behaviour? As the behaviour as described would be:

PSTT or BRSIT or (ACM cover up with no track or PSTT or PDSTT): LTE 1s (unless STT and angle >15deg then 3s), no loft, active immediately

So this would lead me to believe correct behaviour would be:

ACM cover up and PD-STT and angle <15deg: LTE 1s, no loft, active immediately
ACM cover up and PD-STT and angle >15deg: LTE 3s, no loft, active immediately

I have tested both of these scenarios and neither of these cases are true right now.

• LTE is never changed in PD-STT.
  • ACM doesn't affect active state
  • Phoenix only goes active in P-STT or BRSIT or launched <10nmi (trigger pressed at 9.9 nmi: active, 10.1 nmi: never active)

As a side note: ACM cover up with no track automatically puts missile mode in BRSIT with Phoenix selected. So there's only really 3 scenarios... PSTT, BRSIT and PDSTT with ACM up

Also to quote @Naquaii, the following is the actual behaviour in the sim, with the exception of the ACM cover, which currently does not affect the shot

For all other modes and within 10NM of target (or inACM or PH ACT) the AIM-54 will launch active off the rail and the targeted aircraft will immediately see the missile’s own radar actively engaging it. It will not loft in this case and thus the range is less than in the other two cases.

Edited by Noctrach

The information I have is a bit ambiguous about this. The ACM diagrams I have does not mention ACM at all for PD-STT but that's likely due to PD-STT not being a good idea in ACM at all. If you flip the ACM cover up with PD-STT you should've already been in P-STT. That said I do think it should work the same as P-STT so I'll add a tracker in our system to have a look at that.

Edited by Naquaii
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 months later...
On 10/31/2021 at 11:40 AM, Naquaii said:

If you flip the ACM cover up with PD-STT you should've already been in P-STT. That said I do think it should work the same as P-STT so I'll add a tracker in our system to have a look at that.

That still works differently. PD-STT + ACM cover up - missile won't go active. P-STT + ACM cover up - missile will go active.

Also, how about making Jester switch to P-STT when we flip the cover? Or making him a bit more conscious with switching from doppler to pulse? As it is now, he's useless and 80% of the time simply looses track of the target in the process. 

notactive.trk active.trk

Edited by some1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

2 hours ago, some1 said:

That still works differently. PD-STT + ACM cover up - missile won't go active. P-STT + ACM cover up - missile will go active.

Also, how about making Jester switch to P-STT when we flip the cover? Or making him a bit more conscious with switching from doppler to pulse? As it is now, he's useless and 80% of the time simply looses track of the target in the process. 

notactive.trk 464.97 kB · 0 downloads active.trk 410.27 kB · 0 downloads

Yeah, that's still on the todo list.

I can't comment as to Jester as that's not my area but the reason that he sometimes looses track when switching is that the WCS uses last know position and uses that to do a new lock using the other mode. In effect the WCS drops the lock and tries to lockon in the other mode. Just as with TWS -> STT this isn't perfect and sometimes fail, esp if you're not straight and level.

3 hours ago, Naquaii said:

Yeah, that's still on the todo list.

I can't comment as to Jester as that's not my area but the reason that he sometimes looses track when switching is that the WCS uses last know position and uses that to do a new lock using the other mode. In effect the WCS drops the lock and tries to lockon in the other mode. Just as with TWS -> STT this isn't perfect and sometimes fail, esp if you're not straight and level.

Ok with thousands of hours in this sim.... Id love a flow chart of missile operation with Mode, ACM Up/Down, PH Active... etc. 

Every time I think I have it, there is some wrinkle. Especially since the DCS Engine/API cannot replicate the real world operation.... yet.  

I think I mentioned id take a crack at it and post it. Maybe my Rio and I will do that, unless you have one ready to go 😄