WOF - What is it and does it work?

MrYeti

Gentlemen,

On the UFD there is a button WOF, which seems to have an action when pressed.

The manual calls it Waypoint Over Fly however I can't seem to find out what it does and how it works in any of the manuals.

Firstly is it implemented and secondly, as the title says, how is it used?

In simple terms it enters an instantaneous waypoint for the point on the surface below the aircraft at the time you press the key without the need to enter coordinates from the map etc. Ideally used to mark for instance a localised bullseye for use between the flight, as a lateral demarcation point or IP for an attack run.

I use it for instance when attacking a convoy with several passes and want to orbit at a point while the rest of the flight run in.

2 hours ago, MrYeti said:

Firstly is it implemented and secondly, as the title says, how is it used?

AFAIK "Waypoint Over Fly" is not implemented.

IRL when using NAV mode (rather than IFA=GPS-INS coupling) the Harrier is subject to INS drift, this position drift can be corrected by overflying a waypoint/landmark and doing an "overfly update".

Checking the 2011 POH, INS position updates are done using the MFD and ODU.

WOF is used to correct for GPS Altitude error, etc. i.e.
waypoint is at 1000ft MSL, radar Altimeter= 500ft, GPS reads 1600ft MSL
WOF adds a error correction so the Altimeter = Waypoint Altitude + Radar Altitude = 1500ft

This is different to TOO, which assumes the aircraft's altitude is correct and uses the Radar Altimeter to calculate the target's altitude i.e.
Target Altitude = Aircraft Altitude - Radar Altitude

AFAIK DCS doesn't model these measurement/database errors and assumes the Digital Terrain Map/GPS altitudes are "perfect". 

35 minutes ago, Oldahpilot said:

In simple terms it enters an instantaneous waypoint for the point on the surface below the aircraft at the time you press the key without the need to enter coordinates from the map etc. Ideally used to mark for instance a localised bullseye for use between the flight, as a lateral demarcation point or IP for an attack run.

Is that not what TOO does ?

Edited by Ramsay
Check 2011 POH

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080