In-Game Nomex Glove Size with Leap Motion is Odd Considering Glove Size

Bailey

Compared to IRL, the scaling of the hand, fingers, and gloves does not seem to match. I don't have game scale measurements, but I do have have the same size gloves (IRL) as the virtual pilot. When I make a "knife hand" the in-game pilots fingertips intersect eachother. When I make the "ok" sign, the in-game pilots thumb and index finger do not come together. Lastly, when I peek back and forth between IRL and the game, the game hands seem shorter, but the fingers are fatter. I think this is currently a low priority bug, but I would like to make sure it is documented. 

Edited by Bailey

• Bailey changed the title to In-Game Nomex Glove Size with Leap Motion is Odd Considering Glove Size

To exemplify, you can try to touch the tips of your index fingers together when they are perpendicular to one another, like an inverted L.

I suspect that the glove proportions might be slaved to the skeletal model generated by the leapmotion.  That's not to say that the finger width of the 3D glove model ingame isn't out of proportion.  With the knife hand thing, that might be due to occlusion of furthest fingers, try making the same shapes in the leapmotion visualiser and see if it behaves differently.

I've been having some issues with mine losing tracking or just giving very weird behaviour.  I think I have solved most of the problems (with assistance from Dan @ultraleap) by cutting down the IR reflective surfaces.  Essentially the wood of my desk was reflecting the IR back and making the outline of the hand indistinct so the tracker couldn't robustly track it.  You can check this in the visualiser, bright objects are reflecting IR, dark are absorbing it.

I put some closed cell foam on the surface of the desk where I was having issues, the hand outline in the visualiser is now very clear and the tracking is 100% better against the dark background.  Might be worth looking at it to see if the background is light compared to the hand as this will affect the fine granular tracking of the fingertips.

Edited by edmuss

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

To update on this, I see what you mean with the knife hand and converging fingertips. I can make an ok sign and in some orientations the fingertips meet and some they don't.

According to Dan@ultraleap the hand does scale somewhat to the user's physical hand size, perhaps the width of the fingers could be set as a ratio of their length?

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

Had confirmation from ultraleap that the skeletal hands do scale and position the joints as per what the camera can see.

On the assumption that the gloves model is bound to the skeletal hands, someone with small hands will get stumpy fingers.

I have noticed that the skeletal fingertips sometimes don't exactly correspond with the visualised fingertips as such if you do the ok sign your physical fingertips are touching but not your virtual ones.

Perhaps the leap motion owners amongst us could provide some testing data to see how consistent the fingertips position relates to the skeletal model and if the gloves model could be offset/adjusted to find the most accurate solution?