Andersen vegetation encroaching runways

Nealius

Looking at real-world pictures of the runways, specifically 24 approach, there is a clear separation between the runways, the road surrounding the runways, and the vegetation. The vegetation also appears to be quite short, most likely bushes and undergrowth rather than trees. There are also quite a few accounts of the challenges of landing at Andersen 24 mentioning clipping the approach lights or smashing into the cliff, but none of them (that I've found so far) mention clipping trees. PAPI and ILS are calibrated for a 3deg glideslope, but the F-16 and many other fighters come in at a 2.5deg glideslope (fact-check my info if it's wrong), which in DCS I find to be hair-raisingly close to clipping trees. 

andersen-afb.jpg

Compare to DCS where the trees are almost covering the end of the runways, and are totally obscuring that road, indicating that they are too close to the runways:

BFsxLjL.png

Flying the PAPI lights, you can see the trees encroaching the runways, the most extreme being 24L:

0qpD4DM.png

BDecELH.png

Solution

The position of the vegetation may be correct if comparing to a satellite view, but the height of the trees causes the obstruction. The trees are roughly 68' tall, which isn't abnormal, but real world photos indicate that the present vegetation is much shorter than that: perhaps a different type of tree that's closer to a 20-foot tall bush.

Edited by Nealius
  • Like 2

Additional info re: vegetation height.

In this video you can see that the vegetation immediately surrounding the airbase varies from one-third to half the height of a street lamp. Assuming standard street lamp is max 50' tall, that should be 16~25ft instead of the 68ft tall trees we currently have.

• Like 1