CCIP Invalid

schurem
Go to solution Solved by ASAP,

Hey guys, 

I was trying to fly Operation Iranian Freedom mission 6. I have run into a couple problems with my Hog-ology. First off, what causes a JDAM launch to go awry and the bomb to get stuck in the 'aborted' state? I got these big red warnings and well, they were paperweights after that.

Another, and even more annoying problem is this: At a certain point, I'm asked to perform CAS. I have expended all boomy zoomy stuff and want to switch to guns. However I get no pipper. Only a CCIP invalid warning. This might have something to do with the aiming computer taking the altitude from the current waypoint, which is set to I dunno, angels 12 or something. How do I tell the darn thing to look at the SPI, or even the radar altimeter for the altitude? I am guessing it's the same error that precluded me from using the cluster bombs I was hauling..

Help me Obi Wan KeForum, you're my only hope (after APKWS that is 😉 )

Cheers,

schurem

I5 9600KF, 32GB, 3080ti, G2, PointCTRL

21 minutes ago, schurem said:

What causes a JDAM launch to go awry and the bomb to get stuck in the 'aborted' state? I got these big red warnings and well, they were paperweights after that.

Most likely a quick pickle. When you try to release the bomb make sure you hold the pickle button until the bomb leaves the jet. If you hit and release the button to quicly you'll get the release aborted WCN It might release if you immediatley hold the pickle down and the weapon is still in LAR but you've only got a couple of seconds. After that, like you said, the bomb is a paperweight along for the ride.

24 minutes ago, schurem said:

Another, and even more annoying problem is this: At a certain point, I'm asked to perform CAS. I have expended all boomy zoomy stuff and want to switch to guns. However I get no pipper. Only a CCIP invalid warning. This might have something to do with the aiming computer taking the altitude from the current waypoint, which is set to I dunno, angels 12 or something. How do I tell the darn thing to look at the SPI, or even the radar altimeter for the altitude? I am guessing it's the same error that precluded me from using the cluster bombs I was hauling..

You should get the pipper once you roll in and point your nose at the ground. The CCIP invalid means IFFCC can't calculate a solution based on where your nose is currently pointed (and a bunch of other parameters). Your SPI doesn't have anything to do with your CCIP solution, that only impacts CCRP deliveries (CCRP is always based on your SPI).

If you are using CCRP to drop bombs the elevation of your SPI needs to be 0 ft AGL. if you drop steerpoint SPI and your steerpoint is at 12K MSL the only guarantee is that your bomb is going anywhere but the desired point of impact.

In the rare instance when you are shooting at something on the side of a mountain and your target is above the actual horizon, you'd need to change your gun pipper to the 4k wind corrected because the IFFCC can't compute look up shots like that.

• Like 1

Naw I was in a beautiful 15degree dive. No CCIP pipper ever showed up. I googled it a bit, and the only result that came up that made any sense talked about the altitude set for the current steerpoint.

Thanks for the tip on the JDAMs. I bet it was that. 

I love how deep this simulation is, to give us all these intricate little wrinkles to learn about and cope with. A bit like how the AV-8B's gun won't fire if engine RPM is below 70%.

Edited by schurem

I5 9600KF, 32GB, 3080ti, G2, PointCTRL

• Solution

What was your altitude? even at 15 degrees of dive depending on altitude it might not be able to compute. for the A-10, unless you are down low (<1000AGL) 15 degrees is a really shallow dive angle it could be the aircraft was unable to do its look-aside ranging properly if you were too high/shallow. Try pointing the nose 30-45 degrees nose low and you'll probably get a CCIP solution. If that doesn't work then I'd need to see a video or something to figure out what you're doing. CCIP doesn't care about your SPI, you should get accurate symbology even if your SPI is on the other side of the planet.

One other thought: were you in GUNS mode in the HUD vs CCIP with some other weapon profile called up? Its possible have the gun pipper in the HUD while you have CCIP rockets or bombs selected at the same time. It could be the CCIP INVALID was for the rocket solution or something... I'm just spitballing ideas what could cause it really.

Like I said, try getting lower/steeper with your guns passes and see if that helps. If it doesn't work then maybe theres some other switch error somewhere with EAC or LASTE.

Edited by ASAP

Unfortunatley, you can't drop JDAMs in CCIP they are CCRP only. The only PGM you can drop CCIP is the GBU-10/12. The GBU-31/38/54 has to communicate with the jet, get good coordinates, verify good parameters with the jet and only then will the jet allow the weapon to release. If you're outside the launch acceptability region the bomb wont drop, and if you quick pickle like the OP was talking about the bomb cant complete that whole cycle and it wont release.

It seems like a pretty big oversight on the part of the engineers that there isn't an option to drop it like a Mk-82/84, it would make the weapon a lot more flexible, but it is what it is.