Great campaign !

Kudos to the Inverted crew , I really had a blast doing this campaign . It's kind of a great starting point when coming to DCS and to the F18 in particular . I've finished the campaign and build up some confidence to start others (without being shot at the first encounter) while waiting for your sequel .

Great work, good story and amazing ambiance from the 1st mission .

• 2 years later...

I've lost count how many times I've reflown the whole campaign, or some of its missions. Keiki Kobayashi' s music, the ambiance, the intros, the characters, the voiceovers, combined with DCS visuals and physics of course... As someone who grew up adoring Ace Combat before growing out of it, and playing Rising Squall is like Ace Combat grew up WITH me. From the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU for this!

PS I still think that Rising Squall set with FC3 modules would convert many-many-many more AC fans. I know for a fact that some/many actually tried Rising Squall but the jump from AC to full fat DCS module was too much for them.

Edited by Katmandu

• 3 months later...
19 hours ago, Katmandu said:

Thank you for today's update! Love, love, LOVE this campaign!

Is it bug free now? I was going to get it but decided against it due to some reports of bugs and broken triggers being unresolved for months.

Pentium II 233Mhz | 16MB RAM | 14.4kb Modem | 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive | Windows 3.1 with TM Warthog & TrackIR 5

On 5/4/2024 at 5:49 PM, eFirehawk said:

Is it bug free now? I was going to get it but decided against it due to some reports of bugs and broken triggers being unresolved for months.

In my experience it was/is (always?) playable and 100% enjoyable. The occasional bug was never a showstopper, as even in the very worst case we can easily skip missions in campaigns now - without notepad editing lua files and such. The replayablility factor is high in this campaign (just for the music and atmosphere, as well as trying different strats for a boss fight or missions), so having an extra incentive to come back to some skipped mission is a "glass half full" thing.

With the constant changes to core DCS code concerning AI and scripts, the imperfect nature of (all?)campaigns is just a fact of life. Of course this get out jail clause can be abused by unscrupulous devs (and particularly passionate fanboys haha 😉) , but imo this campaign is so obviously such an incredible labor of love that this just isn't the case.

Basically, there is only one question: did/do you love Ace Combat universe and atmosphere? If the answer is "YES!", Rising Squall is a must. (The added tutorial campaign by Cothesis is also the easiest gentlest way to get into the DCS F/A-18C, so there is that too.)

Edited by Katmandu

58 minutes ago, Katmandu said:

In my experience it was/is (always?) playable and 100% enjoyable. The occasional bug was never a showstopper, as even in the very worst case we can easily skip missions in campaigns now - without notepad editing lua files and such. The replayablility factor is high in this campaign (just for the music and atmosphere, as well as trying different strats for a boss fight or missions), so having an extra incentive to come back to some skipped mission is a "glass half full" thing.

With the constant changes to core DCS code concerning AI and scripts, the imperfect nature of (all?)campaigns is just a fact of life. Of course this get out jail clause can be abused by unscrupulous devs (and particularly passionate fanboys haha 😉) , but imo this campaign is so obviously such an incredible labor of love that this just isn't the case.

Basically, there is only one question: did/do you love Ace Combat universe and atmosphere? If the answer is "YES!", Rising Squall is a must. (The added tutorial campaign by Cothesis is also the easiest gentlest way to get into the DCS F/A-18C, so there is that too.)

Well, alright then, I'm convinced. I'll give this a go after I'm done with Badger's campaigns (they are really nice and he seems to maintain them very well, so I recommend his campaigns).

Thanks

• Like 1

Pentium II 233Mhz | 16MB RAM | 14.4kb Modem | 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive | Windows 3.1 with TM Warthog & TrackIR 5