Questions regarding the MiG-21 in general

Wikikomoto

Hello! I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask, but I've been looking for some general information about the MiG-21. Not just the bis, but other variants too.

Is there a place I can ask general questions about the MiG-21? 

My first question, is about production numbers. Its quite easy to find production totals, but near impossible to find numbers on specific variants. Does anyone know what was the most widely produced variant of the MiG-21? I've heard both the bis and PF, but as some PF models (namely PFU) were later upgraded to bis, its becoming frustrating to research. Does anyone have solid production numbers? or a resource I could use to find them? 

Secondly, I'm very curious about the "sapfir" radar set. Its often mentioned as being alcohol cooled, but I'm curious about the specifics? Where this liquid was stored, was it cycled through the dish, or around it? Perhaps it was immersed in it? (probably not) Its oddly difficult for me to find information on this system. 

Also, would anyone have any english or chinese translated resources of original documentation? I'm very interested in tracking down maintenance manuals for the aircraft itself, or any of its onboard systems. I've read the CIA declassified user manual, but this does not give information regarding maintenance or general function of the aircraft. 

Thank you so much! 

Japanese sources would be fine too! on the off chance anyone has them 

On 12/20/2021 at 1:12 PM, Wikikomoto said:

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask

A moderator would probably tell you this is the place:
https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/63-military-and-aviation/

The subforums here are for the DCS modules themselves and not the actual RL aircraft. Personally I don't see anything wrong with asking those questions here, as long as this subforum doesn't get clogged up with threads that are not about the module...

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

On 12/22/2021 at 11:37 AM, Maxthrust said:

THANK YOU!! so MUCH!! oddly, bis is all counted as a single category while PF is split into three, but this still totally answers my initial question!! if we lump PF into a single category, there were a total of 1702, opposed to the bis with 2013 produced. 

this document is filled to the brim with great information, and detail about production. though it unfortunately lacks the more specific detail of the sapfir radar set. i'll still be on the look out for a copy of the repair and/or operation manual.  

regardless, this is a beautiful christmas gift for me!! thank you!! and merry christmas!!! 

• Like 1